IGNORED

Lynx to VGA

candle

sorry for the off topic, but was there ever a rechargeable energy source for the Lynx like there was on GameBoy and Game Gear? I only see the thing where you put extra batteries in, but for GB and GG everybody I knew had those power packs that you could recharge, like this:

xhrz8r147zgw.jpg

I got a Naki unit that "locks" onto the back of Lynx II. The kit includes a replacement battery cover with guide rails. The battery pack slides onto the rails and is "hooked" in place by a small flexible latch between the rails with extra stability coming from the power connector which is housed in a rigid "arm" protruding from the upper side. As the weight of the unit is centered it seems to keep the Lynx balanced and it didn't feel awkward to hold. (I didn't actually play with it as I got it only recently and this was the first time I had a closer look ;-) You'd have to be prepared to play with a "heavy" Lynx though as the design does not allow the unit to be used separately (e.g. on a belt as the GameBoy accessory or the Lynx battery packs you already discovered or the pack sold by Best).

There is a charging connector at the bottom so you can leave it installed permanently. Inside it's pretty simple with six C-size NiCads soldered together which should be easy to replace with newer NiMh cells). The connector is actually just a "normal" angled connector held in place by the two sides of the arm protruding from the housing.

I got mine NIB from konsolenkost.de for 10 EUR and they are still in stock. (http://www.konsolenkost.de/lynx-power-pack-neu-ovp/a-5815750/)

Some pictures here:

https://www.icloud.c...#A5JtdOXmJFrRxI

It obviously won't work for a Lynx I though.

Edited by slx
  • Like 1

I got mine NIB from konsolenkost.de for 10 EUR and they are still in stock. (http://www.konsolenk...-ovp/a-5815750/)

I checked them. Nice price but it's over $30 to ship via FedEx to USA so I'll have to wait for one to show up a little closer than Germany. I can still use the more common battery pack that uses 6 'D' batteries. The last pack I had to replace, the D batteries outlasted the wires inside the plug.

I checked them. Nice price but it's over $30 to ship via FedEx to USA so I'll have to wait for one to show up a little closer than Germany. I can still use the more common battery pack that uses 6 'D' batteries. The last pack I had to replace, the D batteries outlasted the wires inside the plug.

Well, that's how I feel all the time when I see great gear on EBay USA but with 30$ shipping for carts and 70$+ shipping for hardware....... Sorry to say but I can't think of any way to get that to you cheaper as European shipping is >10$, too.

I don't see why no one just makes their own rechargeable battery pack from a few lithium cells and a charging circuit if they're so concerned about battery life; realistically, it should fit within the space that the battery compartment takes up. (Of course, not everyone wants to modify their lynx, but why would you install a VGA adapter if you didn't want to modify it?) I'd do it if I still had my Lynx II.

Edited by com64

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently technically it would work but its a question of space inside (I am not sure yet until I get my hands on the prototype Candle is making for a few of us atm). It would possibly be a more difficult mod to install because you would likely need to solder all of the connections that normally go to the ribbon (rough guess 32 pins - i've never counted them). The Lynx 2 has a clip in ribbon connector you see, whereas the Lynx 1 has the ribbon glued to the board so you would have to hack off the old ribbon and probably use wires to connect the LCD, or possibly solder a ribbon socket onto where the original was glued - IF the pin alignments are the same etc. It's early days yet.

Edited by GadgetUK

Apparently technically it would work but its a question of space inside (I am not sure yet until I get my hands on the prototype Candle is making for a few of us atm). It would possibly be a more difficult mod to install because you would likely need to solder all of the connections that normally go to the ribbon (rough guess 32 pins - i've never counted them). The Lynx 2 has a clip in ribbon connector you see, whereas the Lynx 1 has the ribbon glued to the board so you would have to hack off the old ribbon and probably use wires to connect the LCD, or possibly solder a ribbon socket onto where the original was glued - IF the pin alignments are the same etc. It's early days yet.

This is what I wanted to hear, thanks for the info. When the time comes I am ready

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds like a great idea, make sure you do a good deal with Lotharek so you get something per sale ;) I think the way Lotharek has built up a range of good retro mod products means he's fast becoming the central place to look for mods for different systems. He should do a deal with Kipper2K as well, there are Amiga products that would sell well from his website.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...