IGNORED

Lynx to VGA

candle

It's only the Jaguar hardware that is PD. The games are not PD either, so that would not make much of a difference.

I understood that Hasbro made "all" Jag stuff PD in 1997 when they purchased the Atari IP from Jack/JTS.The Lynx and all it's

stuff was not put under that umbrella because of a Lynx III unit was in the works from them,that died on the vine.... :( A pity too.

I don't think it's even possible to make anything enter the public domain before the copyrights/patents/trademarks run their course and expire.

All they did was share the necessary code to allow developers to encrypt their own games to assist the Battlesphere developers. They didn't surrender any of their intellectual property.

I understood that Hasbro made "all" Jag stuff PD in 1997 when they purchased the Atari IP from Jack/JTS.The Lynx and all it's

stuff was not put under that umbrella because of a Lynx III unit was in the works from them,that died on the vine.... :( A pity too.

The Jag needs to get out of this thread - but Hasbro didn't make 'all Jag stuff' PD, they simply released the rights to the console itself making it an 'open' platform.

• Like 2

Perhaps I misspoke, but I still believe it largely revolves around the encryption stuff that they located and generously released.

I really doubt that they abandoned all Jaguar specific IP. And even if they did, just what does that mean? I think when such a thing is spoken that it just means that they're providing an assurance that they won't send their lawyers after you for violating their IP rights.

I don't think you can just surrender something like a copyright. It runs until it expires and I suspect that the current IP owners might view matters rather differently than how some are interpreting that Hasbro statement to say.

Edited by Atariboy

Perhaps I misspoke, but I still believe it largely revolves around the encryption stuff that they located and generously released.

Hasbro didn't do that. http://www.atarimuseum.com/whatsnew/11122003.html

I really doubt that they abandoned all Jaguar specific IP. And even if they did, just what does that mean?

It means exactly what it says. The Jag was made an open development platform.

'Leading entertainment software publisher, Hasbro Interactive announced today it has released all rights that it may have to the vintage Atari hardware platform, the Jaguar.'

'This announcement will allow software developers to create and publish software for the Jaguar system without having to obtain a licensing agreement with Hasbro Interactive for such platform development'

I get what Atariboy is trying to say. American copyright doesn't really offer a "legal" way to say, "Okay, I'm done with this, it is now public domain." There have been articles written about this "oversight" in copyright law.

Having said that, Hasbro did make clear they are abandoning the platform and letting it go "free." While that may not be the same as a legally official release of their rights, it actually works just as well. Courts tend not to side with copyright holders that have been lax in defending their copyrights, so even if Hasbro or Infogrames or whoever "owns" the Jaguar IP did try to sue for infringement at this point, they likely wouldn't get very far.

While it looks like I'm remembering things a bit wrong, I still think my point stands. They made it an open system to allow unofficial releases to continue.

They didn't surrender intellectual property. The rights they had to things like Tempest 2000, related patents that have since expired, and so on went on when Hasbro sold it off.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Exactly. They did drop all of their rghts to the system as far as they could, but that does not include software. Even if they wanted, they could not do that for more than some titles. Many games were not made by them, or licensed from other companies.

As a popular example, you couldn't release AvP to the PD, because Atari sublicensed it from Activision, who in turn licensed the rights to the characters from 20th Century. licenses like these expire; currently SEGA has the Alien license, so Activison would be out of the picture.

The same goes for many games that were not atari's own. And even the ones Atari did own Hasbro would have never given up, because different from the hardware there is always the chance to rerelease games in compilations or produce sequels, meaning a chance to earn money with them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do hope the project isn't dead. All the effort to actually get a working prototype running and with all the people wishing to part with some cash to have a decent screen !

With the problems that came up, I hope Candle managed to get them sorted out.

I am still hopeful that a finished product gets done, my poor Lynx screen is not what it used to be :-(

He told us to be patient and that the project will be finished; until I hear otherwise or we haven't heard about it for a year that's what I believe. Being pessimistic doesn't help.

And even if candle doesn't finish it himself, with the groundwork done someone like Lynxman might be able to produce it if candle releases what he has. The new screen will be a great asset to the community, and may even vitalize interest in the Lynx.

I already talked to matashen that once the mod is ready I want to have an option to switch between normal and muted palette in future homebrews; because for the somewhat less vibrant colors on the old screen I tend to use stronger colors to make up for the flaw. On the new screen this could look like too much, and a muted palette would be good.

This project certainly isn't dead

I do have issues with reliable programming of lattice mach xo2 chips i've been using for this and yet another project (and planning to use for few more things) and this was the major PITA and thing drawing this project back

Now, i've gained access to original lattice programmer so i could verify if this is programmer related issue (the one i'm using was all-in-one right off ebay/china), or there is some more nonsence going on

if all goes well, i should have some answers in two weeks

Sebastian

• Like 8