IGNORED

So how did you get your first 5200?

Atari the Jedi

Try the pencil eraser fix on those controllers. I'll bet they work after that.

I've found rubbing alcohol works better (the pencil eraser wasn't able to remove enough dirt to make the fire buttons usable again, but rubbing alcohol was).

I am trying to buy one on ebay -but people seem to think a used 5200 is worth over $100!

I can't seem to touch one for less - everyone keeps bidding them up!

I may never own one - I would like to round out my Atari console collection, but I am not going to overpay for something.

Try craigslist. I got my 2-port model for $20 from there about a year ago.

Try craigslist. I got my 2-port model for $20 from there about a year ago.

I keep looking there, too. It seem like CL is all newer stuff these days. Classic systems are getting pretty few and far between.

There was a 5200 on CL about a month ago. It "worked the last time it was played years ago" and "have no way of testing it". He had it listed for over $100. The listing stated that that was because "That is what they are going for on Ebay." :mad:

Edited by Catsmasher

I am trying to buy one on ebay -but people seem to think a used 5200 is worth over $100!

I can't seem to touch one for less - everyone keeps bidding them up!

I may never own one - I would like to round out my Atari console collection, but I am not going to overpay for something.

There are deals to be had on Ebay... Here's one (not mine!) for a system, controllers, and some common games. 65$ - free shipping! Being sold as-is, just because the controllers don't work... Pretty much the case with ALL original 5200 controllers that haven't been refurbished! Lots of tips on how to refurbish those sticks (for no cost) available here on this forum.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1908072250051?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=190807225005&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I would suggest garage and yard sales. I saw one complete with 5 or 6 games last summer at a yard sale. The guy said it worked when he was younger. He wanted $75 about 11am and when I walked by again at 3pm he still had it. He said some kid bought it for $50, then brought it back a little while later because "he couldn't get it to work right"; probably because he knew nothing about cleaning games and/or controllers. The guy then offered to sell it to me for $20 (even at that price, I have no use for it).

This was a "community-wide garage sale" day, and there were lots and lots of people walking around and buying stuff, so the system got lots of exposure. There just really aren't that many people who want one. The problem with ebay is it focuses attention over millions of people who are looking for specific things.

I bet you'd find one after visiting 100 or so garage sales (that would only take maybe five saturdays). Especially if you go early and ask each person you meet if they have any old video game stuff, you might be surprised. As a bonus, you'd probably also find all kinds of other good things you didn't expect.

I've been going to flea markets and yard sales for a long time, and only once have I seen a 5200 (which, in short, is the story of how I got my first 5200.) If you don't have lots and lots of patience, I'd just regularly check Ebay for 5200 deals. They do happen!

That's for one of the bundles, right? When it comes with 5+ games you sometimes see bids go that high. Keep your eyes peeled for the auctions which are JUST the system (and ignore the ones that say nothing about its condition). They may fib about the controllers, but I don't think they'd lie about the system working if they have a good sales history (50+)

Oh, and don't worry if they say nothing about including a cable to connect it to the TV. ;)

I got my 5200 about a month ago; it was just the two-porter with Super Breakout (but I though the pack-in game with the two-porter was Pac-Man? o_O ) for something like 45 bucks; and I had another bidder I was competing with. So just stick with it.

I am still combing for that bounty Bob, but I must say over the years as retro gaming has picked up steam. Prices and people's knowledge have increased there are harder to find gems anymore.

Yeah, well, I haven't found a VCS Air-Raid yet either, but I found a twenty dollar bill on the ground more than once. Some things are rare, others are just desirable. There might be thousands of people in the country who actually want a 5200 for their very own (maybe), but there were hundreds of thousands made.

Oh duh, I can't believe I forget this. Try Amazon marketplace (just enter Atari 5200 into the search box), and check the used sales. The nice thing about this is that your purchase is guranteed by Amazon, so you don't need to worry about getting ripped off. :D

I got mine (4 port) for free this past weekend thanks to my awesome cousin who gave it to me with 4 games, 2 controllers that don't work, and no power supply...so I bought a power supply and rf switch box for $30 and it works...just need working controllers and I'll be all set! :)

Another good thing to do is open up the controller and get yourself a q-tip dip it in 91% alcohol and just rub it all over on the cell membranes. The start, pause, reset, all 4 fire buttons, and all over where the numeric buttons are. I guarantee that will fix it. 

Edited by Retrogamer81081

Another good thing to do is open up the controller and get yourself a q-tip dip it in 91% alcohol and just rub it all over on the cell membranes. The start, pause, reset, all 4 fire buttons, and all over where the numeric buttons are. I guarantee that will fix it. :)

Its not a fix as they will (more than likely) go back to not working as mine have done. The dot trick or gold kit is a fix .

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I have three. I have one in the box from my brother in law when he first started dating my sister. Kinda a peace offering. :)

The one I play the most I got in a pawn shop for $50. Came with Wico sticks and Wico number pads.

I believe I have three. I have one in the box from my brother in law when he first started dating my sister. Kinda a peace offering. :)

The one I play the most I got in a pawn shop for $50. Came with Wico sticks and Wico number pads.

If you got a working one with Wico sticks AND number pads for $50, that is a steal! You could easy pay $150 for the controllers and key pads alone. Either you got this awhile ago or whoever pawned it had no idea of the value (or if it was sold to them.... the shop had no idea).

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine when I went to a yard sale a few doors down and for $85 I ended getting two Atari 5200's, one with it's box. Five controllers (which I fixed and work beautifully now), six games, two NES CIB, and a NES Advantage. One is a 4-port console and it had no switchbox, so I modded it to hav an AC input in the console itsef. ;)

I got my first one in late summer of '85 at a flea market. I was there with my father and the guy selling was packing things up and getting ready to leave. He had in a box, an original 4 port model with one joystick, power supply, switchbox and a handful of loose carts. Seeing that the guy was in a hurry, my dad made his move and offered him $20. The guy also had a six switch 2600 and a couple games and said, "Here, might as well take these too." At that time, after the big crash, people at flea markets were always unloading the stuff for practically nothing. Around that time I can remember getting an Intellivsion for $3 and Colecovision and a few games for about $10.

Anyway, I remember reading back around 82 or 83 about the negatives of the 5200 and I was thinking that I wouldn't get much use out of it. But when I got it home and hooked it up, I was amazed that Pac-Man had the intermissions. And I loved the Joust conversion on it. And the sound on most games impressed me, like Vanguard and later Mr. Do's Castle and Gyruss, two games I picked up in stores that were unloading their old game stocks. I also liked the feel of the analog controllers. If only they made the stick centering and didn't cheap out on the buttons, I think they would have had a controller that was universally praised instead of panned like it turned out. The switchbox was different, but I got what they were trying to do with it by allowing you to not have to go and switch it back to TV when you wanted to watch television. Sure, in today's world, that's useless technology. But back then, it made sense. It was also cool that you could swap carts without having to turn the unit off. Overall, it's a system that gets an unfair amount of criticism IMO.

After having bought seven or eight 5200 consoles over the past couple of years, I finally picked up one CIB. This one was one of the last four-port models that came with Pac-Man advertised on the front.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that this version of the 5200 box was the largest box made for a videogame console (not counting the Adam computer). I measured it: 25" x 16". I mean, what other retail box came with a plastic handle? I guess the Vectrex box may have greater volume, but that also included a monitor.

Edited by boxpressed

After having bought seven or eight 5200 consoles over the past couple of years, I finally picked up one CIB. This one was one of the last four-port models that came with Pac-Man advertised on the front.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that this version of the 5200 box was the largest box made for a videogame console (not counting the Adam computer). I measured it: 25" x 16". I mean, what other retail box came with a plastic handle? I guess the Vectrex box may have greater volume, but that also included a monitor.

Maybe the Neo-Geo AES Gold system had a bigger box? :)

Hmm...never seen one of those, but I'm ready to stand corrected if someone wants to post a pic!

Update: Yep, I think the AES box is bigger. But you could probably buy dozens of CIB 5200s for one CIB AES!

24 3/4 X 19 1/2

The handle got lost many years ago. Box has seen better days but I've owned her since the system launch... 1991 I think? ....

post-322-0-69098500-1366344202_thumb.jpg

I picked up my 4-port 5200 at a flea market over nine years ago for $5. It was just the console by itself, and it was in pretty rough shape as it was caked in dirt, the RF plug was corroded to the point where it was unusable, and the inside of the console had become a home for a few spiders. I didn't have anything else to go with it, so I didn't get an actual game for it until later, and my dad also built a switchbox for me during that time as I didn't get an original one until CGE 2K4 (which was also when I finally picked up a controller for it).

I still have the same 5200 today and I've since modded it for S-video and a power jack so I no longer have any use for the switchbox. I contemplated selling it a couple of times but ever since I got an Ultimate SD cart I don't think I'll be selling it anytime soon.