IGNORED

News of a redesigned Wii may have been substantiated?

Metal Ghost

News of a completely redesigned Wii (yes, the original) dropping in early December have been circulating over the last few days. Personally, I have given very little credence to these rumors and they really kind of seemed as if they were coming out of left field. Not even a hint about a Wii redesign until just before it was supposedly getting released, and it being so close to the Wii U launch?

Well, Best Buy Canada may have just confirmed such a redesign (via Engadget):

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/27/nintendo-wii-mini-leaks-out-early-at-best-buy/

post-6103-0-43664000-1354022653_thumb.jpg

Was the wii really in need of a smaller design? It's pretty small as it is. Oh well, a way to keep the wii on life support a little longer I guess. Although Nintendo did just released that they sold 300k wii's this past week so apparently there is still a demand for the console.

I dig the re-design for what it is: a way to get people into the Wii for the 'core' Wii experience as cheaply as possible.

I'm going to sit out the Wii hardware anyway. I haven't bitten yet, and now I'll simply (at some point) get a Wii U for both consoles' functionality. I've enjoyed my quircky little Gamecube too much to box it up and play my GCN games on a Wii, and no GBA Player support was my more technically oriented excuse not to even worry about getting a Wii for both Wii and GCN playing (though not really an excuse, as I do indeed use the GBAP).

But again, I give Nintendo credit for giving the Wii some final TLC.

I'm sure that the redesign was to cut costs, not just to make thinks smaller.

And everyone knows that wifi hasn't been invented in Canada yet, so that isn't even an issue.

Chris

Great point. So no Internet, no GC compatibility. Even still my wii's been kind of finicky and had I not just got the wii u I'd probably pick one up. Don't care about Internet with the wii and I've got a GC for those games.

This is Nintendo's equivalent of the Atari 2600 Jr, it seems. Notably, the PS 2 and original Xbox never had an end-of-life redesign/relaunch.

I would expect that the main competition for this low-end (cheap) segment of the market will be used Wii consoles (with more features).

There is an article today in the Toronto Star with a better picture: http://www.thestar.com/living/technology/article/1293635--wii-mini-nintendo-announces-canadian-exclusive-console-for-holidays

......And everyone knows that wifi hasn't been invented in Canada yet, so that isn't even an issue.

Chris

heheh... this made me laugh....

I may have to get one, as it will be the only way I can get a second matching red controller to match my Red Wii :-)

This is a budget console with just the necessities aimed at those that want to play some retail software as cheaply as possible. They're not making this for Homebrew Channel fans, they're not making it for people to take online since the average buyer 6 years after launch isn't going to be using the feature, they're not making this for people to "upgrade" to, etc. They're making this to sell as cheaply as possible to those that want to play retail Wii software available on store shelf's worldwide.

Budget revisions late in a console's lifecycle like this exist for an obvious reason. Cutting your production cost through slimming components, stripping things out that aren't absolute necessities, and so on all allows you to lower your price while maintaining (Or perhaps even growing) your profit margin. That allows you to go after customers that weren't biting at the previous price point which is an important goal. It's Business 101...

The Nintendo customers that cared about things like online connectivity are those that bought a Wii years ago and have bought or will purchase a Wii U over the next few years. Not the budget customer at the tail end of a console lifecycle that is buying this to experience a few 1st party exclusives that intrigued them now that it's dirt cheap, not those that want to briefly check out the fad from half a decade ago, not those that perhaps left the console world generations ago and might check this out now since it's cheap, and not those buying this as a child's first console.

The Wii and DS markets are far from dead and there are still millions of dollars to be made there. Just look at how many of each that they sold so far this holiday from the numbers they released a few days ago just in the United States (And with a month to go before Christmas) That both still exist is hardly a hindrance to the Wii U and 3DS like some want to think. If anything, Nintendo keeping modern classics available at budget prices on the DS and Wii are helping their backwards compatible successors sell to customer's that never owned a DS or Wii. Something like Super Mario Galaxy being available for $20 new at retailers sure as heck isn't hurting the Wii U.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 4

And everyone knows that wifi hasn't been invented in Canada yet, so that isn't even an issue.

Yes, and we all live in igloos, play hockey and listen to Anne Murray.

Back to this .. I was surprised Nintendo didn't do a $99 Wii last Christmas or spring, in time for one final heave of sales before the Wii U. Not surprised about the GameCube compatibility ... haven't the last few Wii models dropped this.

Am surprised about no WiFi though ... quite a few Wii games use it and also need it for updates and stuff.

Edited by DracIsBack

The PS2 had a redesign.

It actually had another significant internal redesign a few years after the slim launched that reduced the size of components while also moving the external power supply internally to cut cost even further. So even though it looks the same more or less, the internals were drastically different. Also has some subtle changes externally too like different power and eject buttons.

Back to this .. I was surprised Nintendo didn't do a $99 Wii last Christmas or spring, in time for one final heave of sales before the Wii U. Not surprised about the GameCube compatibility ... haven't the last few Wii models dropped this.

I didn't think we'd get a $99 Wii last Christmas. It was the Wii's last Christmas as Nintendo's premier console and they had a headliner of a game in the form of Skyword Sword. So I figured it was going to stay at $150.

But I predicted then that the Wii redesign from last year was preparation for a $99 Wii this Christmas. So I'm surprised it only saw a $20 drop last month.

I didn't have to worry about that. I had my wi-fi imported via dog sled last year.

Am surprised about no WiFi though ... quite a few Wii games use it and also need it for updates and stuff.

Games that actually -require- updates usually have them on the disc itself however. I've never taken my Wii online once - still debating if I should bother using that usb dongle to connect it. (Which is how I imported my wifi by dog sled.)

• Like 2

I really doubt there will ever be another firmware update. And even if there was, the chances of a game coming out that anyone would want that actually mandates it would be extremely small at this point. And as Mord said, they're on the disc itself anyways so it's a non-issue even if it happened.

Otherwise offline owners, of which there have been many in the Wii world over the past 6 years, would've had trouble before now.

Edited by Atariboy