IGNORED

News of a redesigned Wii may have been substantiated?

Metal Ghost

Wood_jl isn't talking about people who only can afford SDTV's but still buy PS3's or Blurays even though they can only be connected via composite. Wood_jl is talking about people with HD TV's who out of ignorance and laziness just use composite or coax hookups or whatever is in the box instead of using a better connection like component/DVI/HDMI.

Like my brother-in-law, he had a beautiful HD TV but had his Xbox 360 S connected via composite. He had no idea that HDMI was better, until I connected it up for him. HDMI cables are $5.

And they have a Wii in their basement rec room. They lamented that their Wii doesn't have internet, because they wanted this Wii to play Netflix. They thought they needed to buy an extra internet dongle, and they thought they needed a Nintendo equivalent of a Xbox Gold account to watch Netflix. I said no, not at all. I logged their Wii into their network with its built in wireless internet, updated their firmware, and downloaded the Netflix app.

There are just certain people who aren't tech savvy. No one is hating on them however.

Edited by Trekker_1138
  • Like 1

Wood_jl isn't talking about people who only can afford SDTV's but still buy PS3's or Blurays even though they can only be connected via composite.

No, he asked with genuine puzzlement why anyone would ever watch a Blu-Ray video disc on something other than a HDTV. There are perfectly legitimate reasons for why such a thing could occur beyond consumer ignorance.

Wood_jl is talking about people with HD TV's who out of ignorance and laziness just use composite or coax hookups or whatever is in the box instead of using a better connection like component/DVI/HDMI.

Then what relevance to the subject of this thread do these people hold? The people with an interest in videogaming that are closer to the cutting edge of it that place the most care into the video and audio capabilities of their equipment by and large have already purchased their Wii's. The same with people like your brother in law that don't have a knowledge level with consumer electronic's that matches the size of their wallet and end up with things like expensive HDTV's without anything even being outputted to one in HD.

This redesign is clearly intended for a small niche. A niche where things like HD television's, home WiFi networks, online capabilities, and so one are unimportant or not even relevant. What the average person buying a Wii Mini cares about is getting a new Wii console for the smallest price possible with everything they need in the box to play retail Wii releases.

There are just certain people who aren't tech savvy. No one is hating on them however.

And I never said that anyone was.

Edited by Atariboy

The Wii Mini is certainly the cheapest Nintendo console to ever launch. Adjusted for inflation, the NES in 1985 cost about $400 in today's dollars. Most of the Nintendo consoles, adjusted for inflation, launched at about $300-$400 (adjusted for inflation) including the current Wii U. The cheapest (before the Wii Mini) was the Virtual Boy at about $200 I think.

The Wii Mini is just a console redesign. It's not a new platform.

I would think the top loading NES and the SuperNes Mini would be pretty comparable in price to this on day 1. I bought a brand new Super Nintendo not too terribly long after the redesign launched for $50 at Wal-Mart but don't recall what it was originally priced at.

Let's not get in a tizzy [Edit - I guess I should've finished your rant/reply before posting this first portion of my reply since I see that advice is clearly already too late].

Do me a favor and *try* to refrain from such feeble attempts at condescension. Obviously, you love to argue (and value your own opinions highly, to be sure), but condescension doesn't work, here. Nintendo has released a shitty feature-stripped cheapo-redesign and you feel the need to argue to the end of the Earth in support of it, as if you built the fucking thing. You didn't. Therefore, your condescension is a non sequitur. If one of the engineers of the "mini" wants to come in here and condescend, so be it, but they likely don't have the free time that you do.

But clearly that's too complex of a thought here.

Fat-headed fluff.

I now reiterate my earlier "advice" where I said:

I suggest kicking it up a notch, and arguing about something that somebody might actually give a shit about.

Good day!

Amazon is selling the Wii mini for $179.99! But you get an additional second controller so it's got that going for it.

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=wii mini

Hmm, looks like it's through the Amazon Marketplace, rather than being from Amazon (or fulfilled by Amazon) themselves. Also, the "extra" controller is an off-brand (Mad Catz), so it's not the lauded Official Red Wii Remote Plus that one would hope. There are other Amazon Marketplace sellers offering 'em new for $128, as of this moment, however. If somebody wanted one of these badly (??), it probably won't be long before they're sold Stateside for $100, as well.

Do me a favor and *try* to refrain from such feeble attempts at condescension. Obviously, you love to argue (and value your own opinions highly, to be sure), but condescension doesn't work, here. Nintendo has released a shitty feature-stripped cheapo-redesign and you feel the need to argue to the end of the Earth in support of it, as if you built the fucking thing. You didn't. Therefore, your condescension is a non sequitur. If one of the engineers of the "mini" wants to come in here and condescend, so be it, but they likely don't have the free time that you do.

Fat-headed fluff.

I now reiterate my earlier "advice" where I said:

Good day!

Practice what you preach.

Amazon is selling the Wii mini for $179.99! But you get an additional second controller so it's got that going for it.

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=wii mini

Incorrect. That's a third party seller. It's Video Games Plus which will sell you the system for $99 directly plus $15 shipping and no tax. Not sure why anyone would pay this markup on Amazon.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, I know this is kind of off-topic, but how can you tell, aside from buying a Game Cube game and putting it in the Wii, if your Wii is compatable? We just bought our back before Christmas, and it came with Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort in a single package, but different discs. It definitely has WiFi internet capabilities.

If compatible, the Wii logo will be oriented vertically rather than horizontally when the system itself is placed horizonally. And it will have a pair of doors on the left hand side of the console extending most of the length of that side (If placed horizontally that is, if placed vertically they will be on the top). Those doors conceal four GameCube controller ports and a pair of GCN memory card ports for compatibility with GameCube controllers and memory cards. And it would come with a stand for placing the console vertically if it was compatible.

I'm pretty sure the BC model never had that pairing of games as a pack-in. And it has been out of production for quite sometime for North America so it's unlikely you found a straggler at that late date if you purchased this new. And if you had to ask, it probably isn't compatible. If it was compatible you'd of probably noticed those two doors concealing the GCN ports by now and answered your own question.

It also should be covered in your system manual. I've never owned that model since I became a Wii owner about a year into its life, but I can't imagine it wasn't mentioned as being incompatible with GameCube software somewhere in your documentation. It's probably even somewhere on the fine print of the console box itself.

Edited by Atariboy

If compatible, the Wii logo will be oriented vertically rather than horizontally when the system itself is placed horizonally. And it will have a pair of doors on the left hand side of the console extending most of the length of that side (If placed horizontally that is, if placed vertically they will be on the top). Those doors conceal four GameCube controller ports and a pair of GCN memory card ports for compatibility with GameCube controllers and memory cards. And it would come with a stand for placing the console vertically if it was compatible.

I'm pretty sure the BC model never had that pairing of games as a pack-in. And it has been out of production for quite sometime for North America so it's unlikely you found a straggler at that late date if you purchased this new. And if you had to ask, it probably isn't compatible. If it was compatible you'd of probably noticed those two doors concealing the GCN ports by now and answered your own question.

It also should be covered in your system manual. I've never owned that model since I became a Wii owner about a year into its life, but I can't imagine it wasn't mentioned as being incompatible with GameCube software somewhere in your documentation. It's probably even somewhere on the fine print of the console box itself.

TBH, I never read the manual, and didn't check the box for anything but the Wii unit and hookups. Been around the block enough to know how to hook these things up, unless something really weird happened. I do appreciate the info, because it does tell me that our Wii(which we did buy new) isn't compatible. That's ok, I'm not really into the GC, but since we are going to buy some games this weekend, I figured if we could run GC games, that it would increase the amount of titles we could look at. Honestly, it's not a big deal. I'm more of an old-school gamer, and am very happy with my Ataris, Commodores/Amigas, and older Nintendo(SNES/N64) systems. We just wanted to get a Wii for a few particular games(most of which we do have now), but thought we'd look and see what else is out there we may enjoy. It's just nice to know one way or the other.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There were several reports that sales numbers for the Wii last Christmas were pretty darn good. And presumably they figure that this redesign will help them extend the life of the console in order to take advantage of it as a budget console for a longer period of time (Although without a drastic change in price, it seems to have been falling flat on its face so far).

You don't need lots of new software in order for a 6 and a half year old game console to be successful as a budget platform. More important is the system price, a ready supply of economically priced reprintings of past hits, and of course the vast supply of cheap used games.

People will be buying this on the strength of things like Mario Kart Wii.

I bought a Wii Mini recently and I went on a crazy shopping spree (both in stores in my area and online) and I found a pretty high number of good games for around 20 bucks each, many of them brand new. It's a really good time to collect for the Wii right now. I also spent higher sums on such games as Metroid Prime Trilogy and Super Mario All Stars 25th Anniversary, but those are rare and I think I got them at a good price all things considered.

One thing I simply cannot understand is the high price of such first-party games as New Super Mario Bros Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Kirby's Dream Collection and Kirby's Return to Dream Land. I can understand a higher asking price for a game like Zelda Skyward Sword, but everywhere I go in my city, New Super Mario Bros Wii is 59.99$, and there's no way I'm going to pay that much for a platformer that hardly pushes the platform's capabilities, expecially considering that a Wii U version has already been released! Kirby's Dream Collection is usually 39.99$ in most stores, which is also too pricy for my taste. I do want these first-party games, but I'm waiting for a price drop. Guess I'll have to be patient...

I guess just hope for some new waves of Nintendo Select releases in 2013. It drove down prices for several other 1st party games previously that had stayed high for years on end. And Super Mario Galaxy 2 seems an obvious candidate for the program. So that's at least my strategy since I didn't buy it when it was new and now that I want it, I just know that a price drop will be quickly coming if I pay $50 for it. I'm doing similarly with Skyward Sword after not buying it at launch. And I imagine NSMB Wii, Wii Sports Resort, Super Smash Brothers, and Mario Kart Wii will also be given strong consideration if Nintendo continues this program.

Kirby's Dream Collection is one of the newest games on the platform though. So $40CDN doesn't sound too bad to me for a ~6 month old or so 1st party Nintendo release with some extras included. Probably already has been discounted once if it's $40 CDN since it launched at $40 in the US and your prices are usually higher.

I thought $40 USD was a bit much after Super Mario All-Stars launched for just $30, but jumped when it hit $35 on Amazon a while back since I wanted it to play, I had never played the Dreamland games, and I didn't figure it would drop much more. I didn't want to risk the price going upwards in the future like Super Mario All-Stars did. After lucking out with buying Metroid Prime Trilogy new for $20 or so just before it suddenly disappeared and started to become valuable a few years back, I try to not drag my feet with 1st party Wii games unless it's an obvious hit like Skyward Sword that will never go for a lot of money years later.

Picked up Pikmin 2, Kirby's Dream Collection, and Super Mario All-Stars early in their lifes just in case since they're not going to have their sales counted in the millions when all is said and done like a Wii Sports release.

Edited by Atariboy

At least Donkey Kong Country Returns is widely available new for $30 these days. I'm guessing it wasn't as strong of a performer so retailers have taken it upon themselves to drop the price where as some of the more popular releases continue to presumably sell at $50 (Or $60 for Canadians).

Kicked myself for not getting it at Wal-Mart's Black Friday sale after passing it up since I wanted it. But I already had a stack of about 8 games that evening.

Pixelboy, I'm not sure if you have any intentions of buying it since it had a wide range of opinions from being a disaster to a flawed but decent game (I don't think I saw anyone that absolutely loved it). But if you want Metroid: Other M, check around first before possibly paying original MSRP for it. It's still full price at my local Wal-Mart even though I suspect they just haven't updated the price tag on the shelf, but it can be widely had for about $10 new or so these days since it seems to have been a bit of a sales disaster. I think that's what I paid at GameStop around a year ago.

Would be ashame to pay full price for it at this late date.

Edited by Atariboy

Pixelboy, I'm not sure if you have any intentions of buying it since it had a wide range of opinions from being a disaster to a flawed but decent game (I don't think I saw anyone that absolutely loved it). But if you want Metroid: Other M, check around first before possibly paying original MSRP for it. It's still full price at my local Wal-Mart even though I suspect they just haven't updated the price tag on the shelf, but it can be widely had for about $10 new or so these days since it seems to have been a bit of a sales disaster. I think that's what I paid at GameStop around a year ago.

Actually, I've seen Other M in certain stores at 19.99$ recently, and I would have bought it, but that particular game will be given to me as a birthday present, so I had to refrain from buying it. :)

EDIT: Donkey Kong Country Returns was tempting, by the way, but as soon as I saw that it had those acursed minecart levels like the original Super-NES game, I said to myself I wasn't going to touch it with a ten foot poll. Those minecart levels (which I couldn't complete if my life depended on it, back in the day) totally destroyed my interest in the Super-NES game. We're talking frustration levels that made me want to yank out the cart and throw it on a wall at supersonic speeds. It's too bad, because the earlier levels were quite fun to play.