IGNORED

News of a redesigned Wii may have been substantiated?

Metal Ghost

Missing component video is probably a cost cutting move that allows them to eliminate things like a video encoding chip and such. The market they're after isn't exactly the type that's going to be going out and purchasing an aftermarket video cable so it's likely not a big loss and such cost cuts benefit both Nintendo and the consumer. That's the first I've heard of it lacking S-Video though and I don't know why that would be gone from a cost savings perspective.

Yep, there is a large segment of the population who are utterly clueless about the relative video quality of the various cables -- coax, composite, s-video, component, DVD/HDMI. My brother-in-law is a massive Xbox 360 gamer. He plays about 20 hours a week and would play more if he didn't have a FT job. I was over there once and noticed how crappy the quality of the video was, and I looked behind the Xbox 360 S console and noticed he was rockin' the standard composite cable that came with the system. And it's a waste to use composite because they have a beautiful Sharp 50" LCD HD TV.

I suggested that it'd look much better with an HDMI cable. And he replied that he wasn't one of those "hard core snob types". The standard hookups are fine for him, he said. So I went out and got an HDMI cable out of my laptop bag and brought it in to show him the difference, and he kind of fought me on it, but I knew he'd like the picture quality a lot better, so I hooked it up anyway, and he was blown away. "Wow, I can finally read the text on my RPG games!" Some people have to dragged kicking and screaming to the side of progress.

Nonetheless, I think it's insane to NOT include component on this Mini re-design. I didn't even know about that. I knew it didn't have wi-fi. It's off my radar now.

Edited by Trekker_1138

At this point, I have no idea what the purpose for this was.

NONE.

Edit: I take it back. I guess there are flat out lazy people out there who have older TV's, no internet and don't look for deals. Just go to the store and buy the cheapesy Wii possible.

Edited by cimerians

What's wrong that there are videogamer's that aren't checking into internet forums everyday that just want to play a few games now the system is dirt cheap and good software is plentiful and cheap.

I guess it's because dropping money on this inferior Wii Mini shows that someone is clueless about specs. How dare someone not be a geek? :grin: A way better investment would be buying a regular Wii for $25 more that has wi-fi and component video or a used Wii for $70. Even people who have old CRT TV's with only composite connections should buy a better Wii for future-proofing.

The Wii Mini is the Ford Edsel of the video game world.

ford_edsel-shiny.jpg

Edited by Trekker_1138
  • Like 2

The thing has only been out a few days in Canada. I would suspect that worldwide launches will happen in 2013.

I guess it's because dropping money on this inferior Wii Mini shows that someone is clueless about specs. How dare someone not be a geek? :grin: A way better investment would be buying a regular Wii for $25 more that has wi-fi and component video or a used Wii for $70. Even people who have old CRT TV's with only composite connections should buy a better Wii for future-proofing.

A lot of people just buy a console to enjoy games. Future proofing, internet capabilities, aftermarket video cables, and so on are of no important.

Enjoying games, a low console price, and the availability of good games at low prices is what is most important to future Wii purchasers, I'd imagine.

A lot of people just buy a console to enjoy games. Future proofing, internet capabilities, aftermarket video cables, and so on are of no important.

Yeah, you're right; lots of lower-echelon people never go past the standard video hookup, regardless of what a console (or DVD or whatever device) is capable of. I suppose they figure the market for a "mature" product like the Wii is now mostly comprised of such people. It still sucks to see a console emasculated, however.

No doubt it sucks. I wasn't happy to know that if I wanted to go out and buy a brand new Wii that I wouldn't have GCN compatibility and I'm not pleased to see even more features I utilize be stripped out.

But I do think it makes sense for the market they're selling the console to these days. The upper-echelon (If we're going to look down upon the casual console videogame player) largely has purchased their Wii if they had any intentions to and is looking towards the feature with the Wii U and upcoming consoles from the competition. They're not paying any heed to a $99 stripped down Wii redesign.

And for all we know, the previous Wii redesign will remain available as a option.

No one is buying the ninny. I keep seeing tons of them on shelves. But I did buy zelda tp for 19.95. They have nintendo selects all for 20 each. So if I never had a wii and I already had a netflix device I think I would buy a mini and 10 games gor cheap. .and do gaming???

Edited by Jinks

I believe the Wii Sports pack hasn't been a pack-in for quite sometime. Perhaps never during the life of the current redesign. Wii Sports must be dirt cheap these days and I think Wii Sports Resort is the best selling game on the platform. So I'm not so sure it's a $60 value these days.

I think New Super Mario Brothers Wii is the current pack-in. I believe that still typically goes for $50 (Although I'm sure deals are plentiful) but a Nintendo Selects rerelease can't be too far away if they intend to keep that program going in 2013.

Still, no pack-in is lousy and another vote in favor for the informed buyer to seek out the existing and more fully featured redesign instead of this.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

And at probably $120-$130 shipped, you can instead go on Craigslist or eBay and buy 2 regular used Wiis for that much. And they will have wi-fi and perhaps GameCube compatibility. Or buy one used Wii and a bunch of extra accessories (2 or 3 extra wiimotes) plus games.

I'm sorry, but I always find it ridiculous when people compare the price of a new item against used items. Frankly, if you have friends, you can probably get an old Wii for free. That's not really the point. This is a $99 unit with a warranty that will likely be $80 next Christmas and does everything most really late adopters will want it to (i.e. play all Wii games, many of which are $20 or less). The cheapest Wii right now is $130 in the US and that also isn't Gamecube compatible, although it does do Wi-Fi and comes with two very old games. Lots of people don't buy used electronics. I know with the exception of video game systems for my collection that aren't available at retail anymore, I don't buy used electronics and many other consumers don't as well. I just picked up the Mini for my collection, but I don't think not having Gamecube compatibility or Wi-Fi is a big deal on a $100 MSRP brand new unit that also includes a controller.

I'm sorry, but I always find it ridiculous when people compare the price of a new item against used items. Frankly, if you have friends, you can probably get an old Wii for free. That's not really the point.

Sure, a typical consumer just blindly buys what's on the shelf, but this is a video game website, We aren't typical. We know the details. The Wii is definitely a bad buy compared to the regular Wii. For $30 more, you can buy a brand new Wii that has 2 great games -- Wii Sports, and Wii Sports Resort.

Edited by Trekker_1138
  • Like 1

Sure, a typical consumer just blindly buys what's on the shelf, but this is a video game website, We aren't typical. We know the details. The Wii is definitely a bad buy compared to the regular Wii. For $30 more, you can buy a brand new Wii that has 2 great games -- Wii Sports, and Wii Sports Resort.

Yes, and we aren't the target market. Many of us have had a Wii since launch or at least for a few years now. This is designed for the really casual consumer or someone replacing their no longer working Wii. $100 is an easy sell to that crowd and $30 cheaper than the lowest priced Wii bundle available today. Not everyone wants to play Wii Sports and Resort, especially for $30 more plus tax.

To correct my earlier post, it looks like that Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort made a return in recent weeks as the console's pack-in. And this time they're on the same disc.

I'm still puzzled why some in this thread seem to think that every console buyer cares about every last feature of a console and that they're somehow a lesser person if they don't.

I'm a Playstation 3 owner and I got into the console when things like SACD support had disappeared, Playstation 2 compatibility had disappeared, etc. How that somehow indicates I'm at the bottom of the barrel with some sort of videogame/geek hierarchy, I'm not sure.

Yet that's essentially what several seem to be thinking in this thread.

• Like 1

I saw these in walmart the other day while watching a father swearing and his kids whining about how walmart didn't have the deluxe wii-u in stock two days before Christmas.

Anyway, as I was watching the amusing display of first world problems go into bitching overload, I happened to notice this new original Wii. I paid it no heed other than a casual "what's this" in the back of my mind as I went back to daddy's rant about how his bratty kids Christmas was ruined.

I'm still puzzled why some in this thread seem to think that every console buyer cares about every last feature of a console and that they're somehow a lesser person if they don't.

I don't think anyone in this thread (me included) thinks a casual buyer is less of a person. All it means is they are getting less of a console; that's all. ;)

Edited by Trekker_1138

Here are two such examples.

Yeah, you're right; lots of lower-echelon people never go past the standard video hookup, regardless of what a console (or DVD or whatever device) is capable of.

I guess there are flat out lazy people out there who have older TV's, no internet and don't look for deals. Just go to the store and buy the cheapesy Wii possible.

• Like 1

Come on, pointing out that certain people in society don't know (or more importantly don't care to learn about) technical matters isn't really a personal attack on them.

There is a large segment of "slap happy" type folks who sort of skid haphazardly through life and do not really learn or pay attention to details (sometimes technical details) that could make their lives easier. Like my co-worker, who through sheer cheapness and ignorance, burned up the engine in his 2 year old car by never changing the oil.

Suggested reading (speaks of such folks and their thinking):

240px-Zen_motorcycle.jpg

Edited by Trekker_1138

Here are two such examples.

Yeah, you're right; lots of lower-echelon people never go past the standard video hookup, regardless of what a console (or DVD or whatever device) is capable of.

I guess there are flat out lazy people out there who have older TV's, no internet and don't look for deals. Just go to the store and buy the cheapesy Wii possible.

Ok, then, my apologies for being so offensive, to whomever this is offensive to. I always thought it was less-than-admirable to buy a video device and connect it through the "lowest" (in the hierarchy of possibilities) means possible. That could be - for example - buying an HDTV and watching SD through a cable box RF connection while HDMI or component ports sit empty and idle, or Xbox 360 to HDTV through standard-def composite connections, or - in this specific instance - a Wii to a modern TV through the same. However, we all know that some people do that. Yes, some watch Blu-ray discs over SD composite connections. Why would somebody do that? Well, one might conjecture that it was out of ignorance (don't know any better) or laziness (don't care). Or, what other possible reason could there be? I'm all ears! Some might more-kindly refer to this behavior as "lower-echelon" in terms of A/V "acuity." But, evidently, that's offensive, too. So, for that I humbly apologize.

Let me then declare - in full repentance - that connecting and utilizing video devices (or any other device) through the least-sophisticated means possible is NOT "lower echelon," and NOT "ignorant or lazy." In fact, utilizing the least-sophisticated means possible is - in of itself - quite sophisticated, representative of sophisticated people, adventuresome, and enterprising. There! Can we all feel better now? So sorry for the insinuation!

I also realize - now - that some people will just argue-on, for the sake of arguing. In my opinion, defending a shitty console remake - to the end of the earth - is pointless. Equally pointless is engaging in a argument with such highly-opinionated people, and for that I also apologize. The fact that the discussion has shifted (or deteriorated, rather) from a simple fact-based accounting of deficiencies of the shitty new redesign to a now-petty (extremely-so, I might add) " who-called-whom-what" bullshit-exchange, is clear evidence of the futility of which I speak. I suggest kicking it up a notch, and arguing about something that somebody might actually give a shit about. Sorry to put anybody out! Merry Christmas.

• Like 2

Ok, then, my apologies for being so offensive, to whomever this is offensive to.

Let's not get in a tizzy [Edit - I guess I should've finished your rant/reply before posting this first portion of my reply since I see that advice is clearly already too late]. I was expressing puzzlement about several opinions in this thread, but I certainly didn't feel like they were insulting.

Yes, some watch Blu-ray discs over SD composite connections. Why would somebody do that? Well, one might conjecture that it was out of ignorance (don't know any better) or laziness (don't care). Or, what other possible reason could there be? I'm all ears!

It's not exactly difficult to come up with several reasons why even a tech savvy consumer might've done such a thing.

For starters, they might've bought equipment to future proof themselves for the day they do have an HDTV so they already have Blu-Ray video playback capabilities despite having it hooked up to a SDTV. Or perhaps they bought a Playstation 3 to enjoy PS3 games but have yet to acquire an HDTV to derive full enjoyment from it.

As for why they'd be buying Blu-Ray's when they lack a HDTV, the same logic could apply. They already have the capability to play Blu-Ray videos back so why not buy Blu-Ray's? The quality will be just as good or better on their SDTV than a DVD copy would be and it will be much better down the road when they have a HDTV. Or the Blu-Ray copy could be cheaper than the DVD version (I've seen this a few times), be the only version available at their retailer, or perhaps only be available on Blu-Ray.

My point is essentially where does it end? There's always something better in the electronics world and people value things differently. But clearly that's too complex of a thought here.

Edited by Atariboy