IGNORED

Bugs n' Bots and Lock n' Chase initial impressions

sqoon

Got these goodies in the mailbox today and tried them out tonight.

Wow. The Colecovision is a good system to have these days. This is the definitive version of Lock n' Chase, hands down. The game plays, looks and feels exactly as I remember it from early 80's arcades. Had one quirky thing happen though. I was playing on option 5, extended version, pressed the button to put up the stop gate in front of two police and then the sound went dead on my grabbing of dots. The in-game music continued, but no sound on grabbing of dots. I played a while longer until attempting to put up another gate in front of police, then the dot grabbing sound effect kicked back into gear. Is that the way it's supposed to work?

Bugs n' Bots is a fun game, and one that will keep your attention for more than a little bit. Reminds me of Dash Galaxy in a way. I only wish it were a little easier to align the guy with ladders for climbing, especially when the bugs are on the way. Only a minor issue though, because I would still highly recommend this game to anyone with CV.

Thanks a lot guys for creating some nice additions to my CV library.

• Like 1

Hi,

i'm the guy who has coded Lock'n Chase.

I'm surprised by your bug report ... After reading your post, i've tryed to reproduce this bug (that i've never seen/heard), on Blue MSX 50hz, Blue MSX 60Hz and the real hardware on 50Hz (I'm french, so i've really no other choice ... nobody's perfect :) ) and i wasn't able to reproduce this ...

I've play the game during beta-test phase long hours, and never see this one ... (and the others where corrected :) )

Is this happening all the time ?

Got these goodies in the mailbox today and tried them out tonight.

Wow. The Colecovision is a good system to have these days. This is the definitive version of Lock n' Chase, hands down. The game plays, looks and feels exactly as I remember it from early 80's arcades. Had one quirky thing happen though. I was playing on option 5, extended version, pressed the button to put up the stop gate in front of two police and then the sound went dead on my grabbing of dots. The in-game music continued, but no sound on grabbing of dots. I played a while longer until attempting to put up another gate in front of police, then the dot grabbing sound effect kicked back into gear. Is that the way it's supposed to work?

Bugs n' Bots is a fun game, and one that will keep your attention for more than a little bit. Reminds me of Dash Galaxy in a way. I only wish it were a little easier to align the guy with ladders for climbing, especially when the bugs are on the way. Only a minor issue though, because I would still highly recommend this game to anyone with CV.

Thanks a lot guys for creating some nice additions to my CV library.

For Bug'n Bots try to use up/left and up/right, instead of left and right. So guys on screen moves and you see ladder coming up, so start pressing diagonal up/left or up/right, he will then grab that ladder and go up. Also works downs I think too.

Edited by grips03

For Bug'n Bots try to use up/left and up/right, instead of left and right. So guys on screen moves and you see ladder coming up, so start pressing diagonal up/left or up/right, he will then grab that ladder and go up. Also works downs I think too.

I'm the creator of Bugs'n Bots and you're right about methods for ladders. I decided to code that in order to avoid break gameplay. Anyway, I mentioned these tips in instructions manual.

Edited by Nicam_Shilova

I'm the creator of Bugs'n Bots and you're right about methods for ladders. I decided to code that in order to avoid break gameplay. Anyway, I mentioned these tips in instructions manual.

and it does help as the guy can keep moving on the screen vs. stopping and just pressing up to make sure your in the prefect area to climb the ladder.

Thanks for making such a great game. Lots of fun playing it.

Any plans on making a 2 player version - perhaps Bugs'n Bots 2, so that player 1 and player 2 both play the same screen at same time? The players would be on the same team, but would be trying to collect the most computer chips. They would play through the game just as today and highest score at the end wins.

Also would be neat to add a boss monster after completing a certain number of levels.

Hi,

I'm surprised by your bug report ... After reading your post, i've tryed to reproduce this bug (that i've never seen/heard), on Blue MSX 50hz, Blue MSX 60Hz and the real hardware on 50Hz (I'm french, so i've really no other choice ... nobody's perfect :) ) and i wasn't able to reproduce this ...

I've play the game during beta-test phase long hours, and never see this one ... (and the others where corrected :) )

I have also experienced the drop out of the dot-eating sound effect and IIRC it doesn't happen due to any particular event in the game. The sound effect will also start working again, I've noticed, after grabbing one of the special prizes in the middle of the screen. I'll play around with it some more to see if I notice a definitive pattern when it happens.

Also note that I am playing on a Yurkie modded CV system with the BIOS skip mod and will test on an unmodded ADAM system as well.

Things being what they are, I just can't stop playing LnC and it has fast become one of my favorites. You did a great job! :thumbsup:

Also note that I am playing on a Yurkie modded CV system with the BIOS skip mod and will test on an unmodded ADAM system as well.

I forgot to mention I am playing on a Yurkie system as well. I have a non-Yurkie system I will try it out on soon to see how LnC goes.

Hi,

I fired this up for the first time last night and can confirm that the problem exists on my cartridge as well - the "dot gobbling" sound effects disappear

I fired this up for the first time last night and can confirm that the problem exists on my cartridge as well - the "dot gobbling" sound effects disappear

Seems it's a problem with 60hz system ... I'll retry again tomorrow on real hardware with the bonus sound remark, ... All my apologies for this bug in any case.

Seems it's a problem with 60hz system ... I'll retry again tomorrow on real hardware with the bonus sound remark, ... All my apologies for this bug in any case.

No apologies needed. LnC is such a great game that a small sound bug like this can easily be forgiven. Maybe if a rom release is ever considered in the future, that would be a good time to make available the fixed version.

That's a problem ... how to fix a bug, it seems i can't reproduce ...

Did you use a PAL/SECAM ColecoVision console to test your game on real hardware, Michel?

A few days ago, I tested the carts I received from Tobie (mostly to test them with the beta SGM plugged in), and I also encountered the sound problem with Lock'n Chase others have described.

Did you use a PAL/SECAM ColecoVision console to test your game on real hardware, Michel?

A few days ago, I tested the carts I received from Tobie (mostly to test them with the beta SGM plugged in), and I also encountered the sound problem with Lock'n Chase others have described.

In France , we have SECAM colecovision , so i guess he tested on it. But normally J-F did beta testing on NTSC console , i guess.

Yes, on real hardware, i only have 50hz ... But for "speed" regulation i test 60hz version on BlueMsx ... It's really annoying because i'm not able to avoid this things for my other games if it's really à 60Hz bug only ... (Is this possible ??)

Yes, on real hardware, i only have 50hz ... But for "speed" regulation i test 60hz version on BlueMsx ... It's really annoying because i'm not able to avoid this things for my other games if it's really à 60Hz bug only ... (Is this possible ??)

Let that be a lesson to you: Never do final testing on blueMSX. ;)

Although I shouldn't talk, I never do PAL tests with my own game releases... :ponder: :P

Let that be a lesson to you: Never do final testing on blueMSX. ;)

Although I shouldn't talk, I never do PAL tests with my own game releases... :ponder: :P

I know that :D :D :D Number of crash i had on real hardware who doesn't appear on BlueMsx ... :( But the only possibility to check game speed on 60hz is BlueMsx. For example for Pang, when i've test the game on 60hz it was unplayable, too fast. That's why there is 2 game mode, one for 50hz user the other for 60Hz user.

Edited by bfg.gamepassion

I know that :D :D :D Number of crash i had on real hardware who doesn't appear on BlueMsx ... :( But the only possibility to check game speed on 60hz is BlueMsx. For example for Pang, when i've test the game on 60hz it was unplayable, too fast. That's why there is 2 game mode, one for 50hz user the other for 60Hz user.

Don't you just need a 60hz tv and a NTSC colecovision or is there some reason overseas uses 50hz and that won't work?