IGNORED

Response: Masters of the Universe: The Power of He-Man for ColecoVision

cOLeCoHiTMan

Keith Robinson <krobinson@intellivisionlives.com>

9:01 PM (2 minutes ago)

Unfortunately, because of the He-Man trademark and copyright, owned by Mattel, we have been unable to release the game.

We continue to reach out to the various trademark holders for several of the games we do not own full rights to in the hopes of obtaining permission to release or re-lease them. We haven't given up on ColecoVision He-Man! Keep your fingers crossed.

Keith Robinson, President

Intellivision Productions, Inc.

http://www.intellivisionlives.com

Fun & Games since 1980

• Like 3

A petition or at the very least a concrete list of buyers to provide to Keith would be a good start. You would think that 300 names would be easily attainable, especially for a much publicized game as this.

Until then, I guess there is always the Intellivision version of the game to play.

I don't think you need a list, I think someone needs to talk to them. Ask them non specific details of what getting permission would take. I don't know if Keith ever talked to this company before. I think he was always talking to the mattel brand. Who knows maybe someone who is good at these things could do what Keith has been unable to accomplish.

I was wondering that myself about getting a list of people.

http://www.classicmedia.tv/ owns the rights to He-man now.

I guess it would be best to ask Keith, maybe a list would make classic media greedier?

They probably just own distribution rights to the Filmation series. The He-Man property itself began with the toy line, which Mattel owns. I really don't understand Mattel's refusal, they license the property for retro toy makers all the time.

They probably just own distribution rights to the Filmation series. The He-Man property itself began with the toy line, which Mattel owns. I really don't understand Mattel's refusal, they license the property for retro toy makers all the time.

Well unless you are in on the negotiations there is really no way to know if Mattel is flat out denying or if a more experienced negotiator would word things differently and get the deal done.

I know and that's why I think they just DON'T want to release it by telling us it's all about copyright/trademarks issues

That's simply BS

Give me the rom file and I will take care of the rest

Well the problem is that they screwed themselves by originally keeping in contact with the patent holder. Now this would be a blatent patent infringement to just get a no and then produce them anyway.

If they never started the process originally then sure they probably could have gotten away with producting them.

Well the problem is that they screwed themselves by originally keeping in contact with the patent holder. Now this would be a blatent patent infringement to just get a no and then produce them anyway.

If they never started the process originally then sure they probably could have gotten away with producting them.

They are not the only one to own the prototype actually, there is at least one other owner

There will be no proof of who "leeked" the rom file...

Anyway, its up to them to do whatever they want with the proto ..... But.................

They are not the only one to own the prototype actually, there is at least one other owner

There will be no proof of who "leeked" the rom file...

Anyway, its up to them to do whatever they want with the proto ..... But.................

Actually Unless he physically copied the file and handed it to you without any email correspondence about it or telephone calls about it then something like that could be traced and proven in court.

And I am sure if you went and did it that since the Intellivision guys have been waiting forever for the ability to produce it that they would most likely turn you into Mattel because they would be soo pissed.

Who owned the rights to publish it 25 years ago? Was there a limit on how long they had to release it?

I would assume it was intellivision because these guys worked for intellivision. However I guess since it was never produced commercially who knows if they needed to still extend the license to colecovision game and they only had it for intellivision when the industry collapsed and then it was never released.

I wonder if there is a license fee or royalty payment that would change Mattel's mind.

That's what I mean by if there was an experienced negotiator that would talk to them who knows if that would make the difference. We don't know if the current guys are good at this or if this is the only thing they have ever tried to get permission for and are not thinking of all the things an experienced guy would do. Like greasing the wheels. ;)

I gave up on this, anyway..

For me, they just don't want to release it

I wish Keith contact me to discuss about all this.... As I don't want to bother him

But there is certainly a way to release that game in the end

I know another guy who own the proto, and he is not involve in BlueSky Rangers

But he is damn tough to be in contact with....

The all mighty dollar (a consideable amount) has a way with speeding things along, just like it did a couple months ago with Seaquest and Cat S.O.S.. He probably didn't receive an offer that he thought was substancial enough back in 2011, but this time around the dollar amount was to his liking.

While it would be incredible to see He-Man released from it's schackles and finally to be able to play it on a ColecoVision as the programmer intended, I doubt that day will ever come, but will always hold onto a dwindling sliver of hope. There are a good number of people who have had the rom file for many years, as well as the couple cartridge form copies, so this one will probably remain well sequestered within a very tight knit group of collectors.

So be it, Life will go on. The game probably sucks anyway.

Its like saying

I will not release SOS Cat because of the copyright/trademarks

Again, BULL SHIT

This is just a way to not be bother about releasing the rom

Are you releasing it for free or selling copies though? If you're only selling it (though I'm sure with minimal profit), is it fair to criticize Keith for wanting to also "sell" copies? Which he said he is not currently allowed to do. Remember, Keith (Intellivision Lives) are still game licensers, if you will. They continue to sell the Intellivison IP, which they own. Whether the offerings are crap or good, makes no difference. So it becomes difficult for them to legitimately sell the INTV IP, but on the other hand give away Mattel/He-Man or sell it without authorization. I would grant you, Keith is not going to give it away, he and his company have never given anything away. He wants compensation. I kind of don't come down hard on him, because he was actually a part of the Intellivision team back then. He's trying to profit from his own work, so to speak.

Why hasn't the "other owner" released it, again, same reason, he/she doesn't want to disturb the value of it. Which is the story on many unreleased prototypes.