IGNORED

The 2013 Intellivision collection picture thread

Rev

Thanks. Some credit goes to Nukeshed for turning me on to the Atari extenders. 30 years later, the whole plug end of the extension is exactly shaped like the connector one the Sears controllers. It has the exact teardrop shaped shell. And the socket end plugs in just fine with my II controllers.

Whoever designed the controllers on the II should be beaten. The shape is HORRIBLE, it is difficult to hold. Making all the corners and edges sharp and blocky, WTF? That goes against every ergonomic principle. I am OK with the side buttons, but the keypad is less than ideal. I also hate that the disc is on the same plane as the controller body. One of my new short term goals is to score a set of Sears controllers in good shape. IMHO, those controller only hurt the intellivison brand... let's make something better, but it causes the customer discomfort, BRILLIANT! ...it sounds like a Dilbert strip.

• Like 1

My memory is sketchy at best. :dunce:

If I can't get my hands on a decent set of Sears controllers, I may get an Atari cable and try to connect it inside an Inty I or III controller. I do OK with cable assemblies etc. Has anybody tested daisy chaining a few extender cables together? I am wondering how many you could link, before the signal gets too low or the lag sucks.

My memory is sketchy at best. :dunce:

If I can't get my hands on a decent set of Sears controllers, I may get an Atari cable and try to connect it inside an Inty I or III controller. I do OK with cable assemblies etc. Has anybody tested daisy chaining a few extender cables together? I am wondering how many you could link, before the signal gets too low or the lag sucks.

5v is good up to at least 15 feet before needing a power booster to prevent signal loss. There is no voltage so my guess is you are good for somewhere between 25 and 100 feet. Just remember the longer you make it the better chance you might get a slight lag.

Just remember the longer you make it the better chance you might get a slight lag.

Really? I would imagine the resistance build-up not being significant enough to overcome the speed of light (or at least of electric current), unless we're talking kilometers... :\

Now it'll just be a matter of getting a secent set of Sears controllers, the ones I found in a lot seem OK but one is missing the disc and the other is half ripped off. They are filthy, the but keypad looks perfectly fine. Maybe I can figure out some home hack to put something where the discs can go.

Another of option is findinding a decent set taken from a I or III console, to then hack a generic extension cable into the controller etc. I'm not chopping the classic console I showed on top of the cabinet, it was in the same lot as the near-mint Intellivoice, it was a loose console, but other than normal scuffs on top the thing is pristine on the bottom and inside. I was going to collect a classic brown unit to display for nostalgia, and waiting for a CIB unit, but this thing is in such good shape that I can't justify spending extra money later.

My collection (Part 2)

- Picture 1: My CIB Utopia, ECS games (with repro WSMLB box), 1983 games, Dextell games, Intelligetvision games, and Imagic games

- Picture 2: My CIB Activision, Elektonite, LTO, and Parker Brothers games

- Picture 3: My loose INTV and Mattel games (complete with homemade Bump 'n Jump label :))

- Picture 4: My loose Imagic, Coleco and Atarisoft games

- Picture 5: Overview of my Intellivision hardware

post-30607-0-52257900-1360173493_thumb.jpg

post-30607-0-99493300-1360173505_thumb.jpg

post-30607-0-96891900-1360173519_thumb.jpg

post-30607-0-66574500-1360173525_thumb.jpg

post-30607-0-61808300-1360173536_thumb.jpg

@BikeGuy

Funny, I keep my games in "totes" that look the same as yours. It's the only way I can keep my games right now. I desperately want to put them on some sort of shelving or rack with doors.. but... New House + Angry Wife = No frivilous furniture purchases. $2.99 totes from Target will have to do. Plus it keeps my cats away from them for now, they are the natural enemy of fragile Boxes!!!

The other funny thing is I have almost the exact same carpet in my HT.

@BikeGuy

Funny, I keep my games in "totes" that look the same as yours. It's the only way I can keep my games right now. I desperately want to put them on some sort of shelving or rack with doors.. but... New House + Angry Wife = No frivilous furniture purchases. $2.99 totes from Target will have to do. Plus it keeps my cats away from them for now, they are the natural enemy of fragile Boxes!!!

The other funny thing is I have almost the exact same carpet in my HT.

I pretty much want to do the same as you but don't really have the room in the condo for a storage unit. I'm sure the bins are the same as yours.

Why does it seem that so many guys have some kind of hobby/wife related issue?

I must be the luckiest retro gamer/collector here on AA!!!!!

my entire video game collection is on shelves with a tv and console hooked up directly beside our bed!

Before that it was in the foyer area of our main entry! No probs! No complaining! I spend thousands of money on crap and BARELY any problem other than, can you sell it later and get money back?

:-)

my entire video game collection is on shelves with a tv and console hooked up directly beside our bed!

Before that it was in the foyer area of our main entry! No probs! No complaining! I spend thousands of money on crap and BARELY any problem other than, can you sell it later and get money back?

<evil death stare>

My wife is 100% OK with my hobby. She was actually enthusiastic when I told her I was going to start collectiing. I'm not actually spending too much cash right now, because it is being offset by selling some HT A/V stuff I don't need anymore. We just bought a bigger house in the spring, and the mortgage went up 50%. Telling her I want to spend $100 on a nice cabinet is not going to fly right now, we are still fixing stuff that has worn out around the house and stuff like that which is a cash drain. I'm not even going to ask right now, her response to that might be an uppercut to the nuts.

Edited by B0B 1ob1aw

Dont hate me for saying this. But here I go anyway!

If you have to ask your wife, thats most of your problem right there, you dont ask, you tell!

I "told" for the first 18 years of the marriage. Multiple HT upgrades, when I finally got where I wanted I had well over $10k into it. Did the "import tuner" thing for many years. Did engine and suspension tuning for a parade of cars I owned over a few years including: Infiniti G35, Maxima 3.0, vintage 1978 280Z. Whether it was the cars or the HT, I could have a $1k package show up and she wouldn't bat an eye.

Now my mortgage went up $800, not including the enlarged utilities to run a house 2x the size. Plus I have triplets who are only 6 years from college, and I gotta pour some money into savings for that. Of the dozens of friends who have been married, maybe 75% of them didn't last 10 years; my marriage is at 18+ only because I know when to choose my battles.

Edited by B0B 1ob1aw