IGNORED

Incognito Production Installation

Stephen

Yes the SIO2SD works with my NTSC Atari 800XL. Also, I just found my old Atari 1050 disk drive, and tried it with my Atari 800 Incognito, and it will not boot anything; still just saying "138 Device does not respond". So it looks like anything SIO related does not work on my Incognito :/

@FastRobPlus: Does real floppy disks work on your Incognito? Could you try boot at game or some other software using your disk drive with a floppy?

Did you set up the partitions on your CF Card and assign one of them as Drive "A"? That would mess it up like that...

Flemming, stop blaming incognito, start replacing pokey and pia chips in your 800

it is common failure for pokey to have serial line fryed and generating perfect sound nevertheless

my does work with 810 and 1050 i have

Sorry candle, I'm not trying to badmouth Incognito. I will try replacing the chips. Does anyone know where to get fresh pokey and pia chips?

Yes the SIO2SD works with my NTSC Atari 800XL. Also, I just found my old Atari 1050 disk drive, and tried it with my Atari 800 Incognito, and it will not boot anything; still just saying "138 Device does not respond". So it looks like anything SIO related does not work on my Incognito :/

@FastRobPlus: Does real floppy disks work on your Incognito? Could you try boot at game or some other software using your disk drive with a floppy?

I can confirm that real floppies work with my Incognito. I can load anything when auto-booting and I can browse files when I have SDX enabled. I don't know enough about SDX to be able to do anything other than call up a DIR...

So... I've got an 800 with Incognitio, an 800 without an incognitio, SIO cables, 3 tape drives, two floppy drives, floppy disks, a CF card, a USB CF card reader for my Amiga, a drinking straw, and a light gun.

Using these things, is there any way I can transfer the incognitio bios ATR file to the tape or floppies so I can flash the bios and play Space Harrier from Cart? Or will I have to buy a one-time use SIO-to-something adapter?

So... I've got an 800 with Incognitio, an 800 without an incognitio, SIO cables, 3 tape drives, two floppy drives, floppy disks, a CF card, a USB CF card reader for my Amiga, a driking straw, and a light gun.

Using these things, is there any way I can transfer the incognitio bios ATR file to the tape or floppies so I can flash the bios and play Space Harrier from Cart? Or will I have to buy a one-time use SIO-to-something adapter?

I'm curious about this also. I was thinking that mounting the ATR file as D1 and setting a connected 1050 FDD as D2 would allow a sector copy of the disk onto a real 5.25 floppy disk? Can ATR disk images from the CF and a real floppy drive unit be accessed at the same time when using incognito?

i've diagnosed issue with bios-update not taking place when loaded from internal loader

this is due to small mistake in vhdl rom mapper process code preventing anything else than loader virtual cartridge to be mapped once it was enabled due to bios bootup sequence

i'm working on improoved version of bios-update utility that would show what is doing instead of leaving end user wondering what has happend, but right now i cannnot post anything (just bricked my incognito while flashing ;) )

bottom line: if you don't want to or can't update JED inside CPLD chip then just use SIO device to make that upgrade, if you can - i'll post updated JED file together with bios-update.xex soon, perhaps tomorrow

there are no compatibility issues for incognito living with that bug

• 1 month later...

Just as a follow-up, I'm looking for the installation instruction guide link(s), and do we have a complete install notes for everything that needs to be done?

I'm just getting around to my install and after reading the post wonder if I should (since I want to make sure I have a complete instruction set).

Thank you.

Well thanks for a weekend of ice in Dallas, TX I had more than enough time to finally install my Incogneto in a parts 800. Had some fun time already playing with the new Ice-T with ANSI COLOR (which is what finally pushed me from a stock 800 with Flickerterm) and played a lot of games from the sIDE loader.

Been a blast, and would like to thank the following people and their advice that made it all possible:

FlashJazzCat - Fdisk help
Panther - Keyboard problem help

My friends from the Atari IRC group:
mos6581
a8isa1
joey_z
SJCarden
sloopy

And most of all:
MoparStephen with his ongoing advice and these pictures which showed me what needed to be done.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75619516@N06/sets/72157629855929494/

post-4709-0-27016200-1386519867_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-58213400-1386519908_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-69471200-1386519924_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Nice Clu, glad you got it working!

Thanks all! Got three questions at this point:

1) Is the opening menu supposed to save the settings put in the menu the previous boot up? Does the battery help retain that?

2) Similiar question to #1, but about time. Do you set the time with the TIME and DATE commands in SpartaDos?

3) I understand there is a ATR loader in later revisions of the Incogneto. Also heard the board can be reflashed to have that option. Who can do the reflashing?

maybe, I need to get my lazy ass up and install my incognito.

Well thanks for a weekend of ice in Dallas, TX I had more than enough time to finally install my Incogneto in a parts 800. Had some fun time already playing with the new Ice-T with ANSI COLOR (which is what finally pushed me from a stock 800 with Flickerterm) and played a lot of games from the sIDE loader.

• Like 1

maybe, I need to get my lazy ass up and install my incognito.

Well, those of us with Warerat's mod had a little less incentive :) I was actually quite happy with the stock beige 800 but then along came Ice-T with the color ANSI and that internal flash drive came in handy as well as XL/XE upgrade.

So yeh I got a parts 800 together and went at it. If you are not one that solders all the time, give yourself about a day, pace yourself, and look over those pictures that Mopar posted.

• Like 1