IGNORED

Ultima Collecting -- I am in big trouble!

Albert

What a great time tonight! This was the first time Richard Garriott had given this particular talk, and it was wonderful. He covered a fair bit in only an hour, and focused mainly on space travel, culminating in what he feels the next three decades of human space flight will entail. His gaming past was only touched upon briefly (as expected), but he stated more than once that game development is still his full time job, and that space exploration is a "hobby". He's also quite the entrepreneur, and has his hands in more space and green energy companies than I was aware of.

After the prepared talk, he hung around for another hour and took questions from a much smaller number of us. This was fantastic, as there were some great questions and great answers. The one that stood out the most was his description of how the space toilets work. Oh my god, we were all laughing so much at his telling of the first time he had to use the toilet for solid waste. :D :D :D

I also spoke with him briefly during the reception. Richard Garriott is very approachable and spent a lot of time talking to people. It's obvious that he truly loves what he is doing, and he has an infectious enthusiasm for it.

Here are some photos:

garriott_1.jpg

garriott_2.jpg

garriott_3.jpg

garriott_4.jpg

garriott_5.jpg

..Al

• Like 5

Gahhh so jealous.

Richard Garriott is one of those rich dudes that does it right. Rather than basically wipe his ass with 100$ bills and go HARHAHRHR IM RICH, he does all kinds of side things that are actually benefitting people/places in some way.

I need to meet that dude, bad. The fact that he's still wearing that necklace is awesome.

did Ultima come up at all? Any mention of Ultimate RPG?

did he open any moon gates?

I wasn't able to go yesterday. I got a reply to my RSVP, but by that time it was only a couple of hours before the event, and I couldn't get myself down there.

However, I'm no stranger to Lord British. I used to work at NCsoft, with many of my coworkers having come from Origin. I used to see him at the office all the time, and talked to him a few times myself. He's extremely friendly and down to earth, and is one of those people who obviously walks his own path and doesn't care what anyone else thinks of it. Considering how successful he's been, no one has any room to tell him otherwise. Have to say that I agree with Arkhan, he does seem to get involved in things that seems to genuinely affect the world around him.

I wasn't able to go yesterday. I got a reply to my RSVP, but by that time it was only a couple of hours before the event, and I couldn't get myself down there.

Damn.. :(

However, I'm no stranger to Lord British. I used to work at NCsoft, with many of my coworkers having come from Origin. I used to see him at the office all the time, and talked to him a few times myself. He's extremely friendly and down to earth, and is one of those people who obviously walks his own path and doesn't care what anyone else thinks of it. Considering how successful he's been, no one has any room to tell him otherwise. Have to say that I agree with Arkhan, he does seem to get involved in things that seems to genuinely affect the world around him.

I'm still kicking myself for not getting a photo of him when he was in my office at Ion Storm looking at the Ultima maps on my wall. Of course, this was well before we had smartphones with good cameras, but someone at the office would have had one, and I'm sure we had a nice camera the artists used to take photos for textures.

..Al

• Like 1

Shame some game designers of old don't wanna talk about the past anymore. Same with John van Ryzin, Retro Gamer tried to interview him for the mag, but he's not interested.

It's not that he's not interested in talking about his gaming past, it's that the topic of this talk was "Space Exploration", and he only had an hour in which to give this talk. And it's obvious that he could have spoken on this topic for many hours (and in fact, he stuck around for over an hour after his talk ended to continue talking about the subject with people who stayed). It would have been inappropriate for him to spend time talking about his game development history when people came to his talk to hear about Space Exploration.

..Al

• Like 1

*high fives Albert*

I first met him at the IGDA Picnic last year and he was kind enough to take a picture of me sitting inside Ernest Kline's DeLorean:

578737_495475647134009_1236088679_n.jpg

And he also posed with me at a meet and greet after the first day of GDC Online 2012 last October:

197443_534502463231327_1151063293_n.jpg