IGNORED

Ultima Collecting -- I am in big trouble!

Albert

Great pics. I see he still wears the silver serpent...great.

He still has rights to his alter-ego Lord British. He should put that character back in the Ultimate RPG and put a bit of Ultima references in there without getting into trouble. :P

Yes, he actually owns it so hard that Lord British was removed from Ultima Online.

Lord Blackthorn is the new king.

Great pics. I see he still wears the silver serpent...great.

He still has rights to his alter-ego Lord British. He should put that character back in the Ultimate RPG and put a bit of Ultima references in there without getting into trouble. :P

Done, and done. From what I read recently, he's trying to get a license from EA to make it an official Ultima game. The "Ultimate RPG" name is just a placeholder for now.

He's trying to get ALL of the rights to Ultima back, since it IS his stuff.

The only tie EA has to it anymore really, is Ultima Online.

They could rename everything in UO, and noone would know.

Hell most of the players don't even know anything about Ultima. Exodus (new boss battle) to them is just some robot demon thing that drops a pair of leggings that they want.

Okay, I really apologize if this has already been answered here, but 14 pages is a lot to read when I have all these games to play. :)

So, I have Ultima IV from GoG for free, and am wondering if it would be a poor entry point for the series. I know a lot of PC gamers really like it, but I have only been into PC games for a couple years now, so I won't feel nostalgic for it or anything. (I do love Spiderweb Software games though, so the graphics certainly won't bother me). But is it too dependant on games from earlier in the series, or familiarity with the mechanics, or whatever to be enjoyed as a first game played in the series?

Okay, I really apologize if this has already been answered here, but 14 pages is a lot to read when I have all these games to play. :)

So, I have Ultima IV from GoG for free, and am wondering if it would be a poor entry point for the series. I know a lot of PC gamers really like it, but I have only been into PC games for a couple years now, so I won't feel nostalgic for it or anything. (I do love Spiderweb Software games though, so the graphics certainly won't bother me). But is it too dependant on games from earlier in the series, or familiarity with the mechanics, or whatever to be enjoyed as a first game played in the series?

Ultima IV is probably the best entry point to the series. The game does look and largely play like an old school RPG, so you'll have to keep that in mind. What really sets it apart from other games of the era is the game's focus, namely on mastering the Virtues so you can become the Avatar. Ultimas I - III are largely mixed, and you'll see inconsistencies from the games with what's mentioned in the later ones. Ultima III is very similar to IV in regards to the game engine, but IV has a much better story and focus to it. If you're not brave enough to go total old-school with IV, though, there's always Ultima VII, which was really the first "modern" RPG.

• Like 1

Ultima IV is probably the best entry point to the series. The game does look and largely play like an old school RPG, so you'll have to keep that in mind. What really sets it apart from other games of the era is the game's focus, namely on mastering the Virtues so you can become the Avatar. Ultimas I - III are largely mixed, and you'll see inconsistencies from the games with what's mentioned in the later ones. Ultima III is very similar to IV in regards to the game engine, but IV has a much better story and focus to it. If you're not brave enough to go total old-school with IV, though, there's always Ultima VII, which was really the first "modern" RPG.

Exactly.

Ultima IV starts the story of you the Avatar of Britannia. (Virtuous Hero). You seek to master your "self" or become an Avatar of the people. Really different from kill the evil wizard or dragon of most games of the time and even today.

The avatar storyline ends with Ultima 9 which is way different than all other Ultimas and sadly has few references to characters of past games if you play without the fan patch.

• Like 1

The most famous English programmer for sure.

Did he write any other games besides the Ultimate series?

As far as programming goes he stopped after Ultima V. After that he was designer, producer etc.

I think he did Autoduel:

C64AutoDuel-Preview.jpg

He didnt do Moebius but it always had a cool cover :P:

Moebius_-_The_Orb_of_Celestial_Harmony_Coverart.png

Another one but again I dont think RG did this one either:

250px-17814-01238.jpg

Edited by cimerians

Reading that made me kind of want to try UO for some reason.

...so I did @_@

I wasn't sure if things like this actually existed, that's pretty awesome: http://www.uosecondage.com/

I don't know if I'd get into it seriously (I'm yet to find an MMO I actually enjoy), but I just goofed around in the single player tutorial for a while and it wasn't too bad.