IGNORED

Arcade/MAME HSC Season 5.2: Kangaroo

Deteacher

When the baby kangaroo is saved, the bonus score appears above the number of lives left.

As shown in your second screenshot.

So we cannot know, for sure, how many lives were used.

Unless we do one screenshot when finishing the 1st level and one when starting the 2nd.

Cool! Thanks for the info on that.

Ok, a screenshot of the beginning of round 2 will suffice for the bonus points. :)

Total:47,600

scum: 37,200

I did not "scum" on the other screens.

To get the maximum points, you can "scum" on the second screen wait for the time to elapse then "scum" again.

I'm not sure if the bonus life is at every 30K but if that's the case, you can play forever!

Note:attached is the INP of my game using WM106 ... if somebody wants to see how I scummed.

post-25394-0-78745800-1358219678_thumb.png

post-25394-0-81603300-1358219692_thumb.png

post-25394-0-91415500-1358219711_thumb.png

kangaroo point scrub l1.zip

Edited by patbb

Just to be clear, the "scum" bonus is seperate from the actual high score contest. In other words, you cannot scum on the first board, then continue to play for the overall high score.

When you play for a spot on the normal leaderboard, you cannot point scum at all. I apologize for not clarifying this before. Sorry. :(

Patbb, I'll accept your 37,200 score for the bonus, but I cannot accept the 47,600 for the actual HSC score.

Just to be clear, the "scum" bonus is seperate from the actual high score contest. In other words, you cannot scum on the first board, then continue to play for the overall high score.

When you play for a spot on the normal leaderboard, you cannot point scum at all. I apologize for not clarifying this before. Sorry. :(

Patbb, I'll accept your 37,200 score for the bonus, but I cannot accept the 47,600 for the actual HSC score.

OK. I will submit another score.

But I personally think that we should have a clear rule on what is "point scum".

For example, is it OK to scum for lets say 5000 points at each level? Or is it only for the boxing with the gorilla?

What about just killing the monkeys?

Usually with games with a time limit, there is no special rules.

without any scum points ... directly to the baby.

Level 3 screen 3.

INP available upon request.

I have just notices that this game have the same sounds and crappy controls than Arabian!

Probably the same programmer.

post-25394-0-39053200-1358294614_thumb.png

Edited by patbb

OK. I will submit another score.

But I personally think that we should have a clear rule on what is "point scum".

For example, is it OK to scum for lets say 5000 points at each level? Or is it only for the boxing with the gorilla?

What about just killing the monkeys?

Usually with games with a time limit, there is no special rules.

I hear what you're saying, but something like that would be hard to track. However, I can give you an example of what I do in regards to this game.

Let's take round 2, for example. If I'm on the ledge where I can punch the gorilla at the knees, I punch him. If he comes out on the same side, I punch him again. Usually after 2 or 3 times, he appears on the other side and then I move on. I don't sit there and wait for him to come back to my side. If there's a monkey in my way, I punch him and move on. The only thing I do, that I don't think is scumming, is on the 1st and 2nd levels, I'll ring the bell and get the fruit that's closest to it. On rounds 3 and 4, I don't even bother with the bell.

I guess what it boils down to is that we're on the honor system here. There's no real prize for having a high score, other than bragging rights. It's just supposed to be fun. It's supposed to be a way for us all to get a little more enjoyment out of these games, rather than playing by ourselves. If anyone wants to challenge a score posted, I'll look into it, but let's just have fun! :)

• Like 1

Let's face it guys, if punching the monkey were a crime, we'd all be in jail.

My score of 68k from last season is still stored on my cabinet, but obviously the current rules prevent me from topping that for this competition. :D

Honestly, I find this game a bit excruciating and would rather eat a used bandaid than play it again. See y'all next week.

Flickeroo - 28,700

Edited by Cynicaster

Let's face it guys, if punching the monkey were a crime, we'd all be in jail.

My score of 68k from last season is still stored on my cabinet, but obviously the current rules prevent me from topping that for this competition. :D

Honestly, I find this game a bit excruciating and would rather eat a used bandaid than play it again. See y'all next week.

Flickeroo - 28,700

LOL! I hear ya! There will probably never be a week where a game played is one that everyone will enjoy. There will be games that people are good at, bad at, like, hate. I guess, in the long run, it balances itself out. Looking at the table, there are a crap ton of games I've never played (or even heard of) so it will be interesting when those games pop up.

I hope everyone is enjoying themselves, regardless of your feelings for a particular game. Keep on keeping on. The next round is always right around the corner. :)

LOL! I hear ya! There will probably never be a week where a game played is one that everyone will enjoy. There will be games that people are good at, bad at, like, hate. I guess, in the long run, it balances itself out.

Oh, it will balance out, no worries there. When participating in something like this, you have to go in with the understanding that one player's cup of tea may be your worst nightmare, and vice versa.

I suggested lots of obscure games, so when they start to pop up I fully expect that some will wonder "WTF is this?"

Besides, in addition to the friendly competition and posting of scores, I always enjoy discussing and trading thoughts on the subject game with fellow enthusiasts, since not many of my real life friends are gamers.

Which reminds me, if I am going to call the game crappy, I should at least back it up with why I think so. First up is the sloooooow movement and the controls, which I can't get used to. The choppy animation would be passable if it weren't for the unpredictable hit detection and the constantly flickering graphics. The cherry on top is the nails-on-chalkboard music. I think I enjoyed this game much more as a kid in my basement on the Atari 2600, but I reckon I'd probably not like that version much either if I tried it today.

In all, I guess it's not that bad, it's just that in the vast pool of arcade/MAME titles, the game finds itself in esteemed company. My feeling is that if you're up for some golden age single-screen arcade platforming, there are so many games out there that do it better than Kangaroo.

Total:47,600

scum: 37,200

I did not "scum" on the other screens.

To get the maximum points, you can "scum" on the second screen wait for the time to elapse then "scum" again.

I'm not sure if the bonus life is at every 30K but if that's the case, you can play forever!

Note:attached is the INP of my game using WM106 ... if somebody wants to see how I scummed.

What version of MAME did you use....I am using 0.145 and it states that it is unsupported format

Edited by NIKON