IGNORED

is Star Castle for Vectrex rare?

ComputerSpaceFan

I was thinking of getting Star Castle for my Vectrex but I am surprised how every auction I see for it balloons into a huge price tag. Admittedly I am looking for Complete In Box versions which tend to be a little higher but Star Castle seems to sell for double what other CIB Vectrex games go for.

Was it particularly rare back in the day or something?

Star Castle, Polar Rescue, and Pole Position were the last of the games to be released for the Vectrex, and we're only released in the U.S. (also the 3D Imager). The labels have 1983 on them while the rest are 1982.

Last year I bought a boxed Star Castle locally from someone selling an entire collection for $50.00.

He wanted $100.00 for Pole Position, and $100.00 for Polar Rescue (I have Polar Rescue).

I think those are fair current prices. Anything less you have a great deal, anything more and you've paid too much.

Pole Position and Polar Rescue have for a long time been valued at or above $100 CIB, but Star Castle seems to have increased in value in the past year or so. Lots of people want it for some reason. Totally overrated game in my opinion. On Vectrex, the Star Castle overlay is sized in such a way that the colors don't line up with the rings around the castle. I'm sure it's the best console version of the game though.

Web Wars (Warp) has seen a small price spike, yes, it appears to be slightly harder to find CIB than many other games for some reason. I've seen a number of people mentioning trying to find one, and when it does appear, the price is higher than expected.

Polar Rescue was the most expensive CIB game but its value has come down a bit. Pole Position and Star Castle, by comparison, have gone up. I got both of those CIB in the past for $40-50, but I think I'd be lucky to find them for that today.

Speaking of expensive Vectrex games...

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1609731053521?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=160973105352&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

:?

$125+ for Web Wars? Jeez....and it's missing the tray too. Not that it's hard to obtain an extra one, but still. Someone must've wanted that one really bad.

I think it's just the general increase in prices myself for anything CIB. The trend is pricing me out of collecting. :(

Speaking of expensive Vectrex games...

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1609731053521?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=160973105352&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

:?

$125+ for Web Wars? Jeez....and it's missing the tray too. Not that it's hard to obtain an extra one, but still. Someone must've wanted that one really bad.

..WHAT? whoever won that auction WAYYYYYYYYY OVERPAID! that game is worth 50-60$ cib, not that much! ive seen a bin for that game cib for 45$ and no one bought it. seriously, whoever won that auction didn't know the real value lol

Web Wars (Warp) has seen a small price spike, yes, it appears to be slightly harder to find CIB than many other games for some reason. I've seen a number of people mentioning trying to find one, and when it does appear, the price is higher than expected.

Polar Rescue was the most expensive CIB game but its value has come down a bit. Pole Position and Star Castle, by comparison, have gone up. I got both of those CIB in the past for $40-50, but I think I'd be lucky to find them for that today.

well it is a great game with amazing graphics and sound, as every vectrex game has :) and i want it too, but i would pay max 50$ for it cib, which is about what its worth (about 40-50$)

well it is a great game with amazing graphics and sound, as every vectrex game has :) and i want it too, but i would pay max 50$ for it cib, which is about what its worth (about 40-50$)

Yeah, 40-50 is what it should be going for, not the $83 and $108 end prices of late. I'm getting priced out of finishing my Vectrex collection...

WOOOOW, the person who is bidding on that must be really stupid! its not worth NEARLY that much!!

If you look at the bid history, there were really only two bidders that drove it up that high (but that's all it takes). The winning bidder was the same person who bid $125 for that previous Web Wars auction and lost. I guess he wasn't going to let this one get away...he raised his bid even higher in the closing seconds. :!:

I often wonder in cases like this how high the winning bidder was actually willing to go.

If you look at the bid history, there were really only two bidders that drove it up that high (but that's all it takes). The winning bidder was the same person who bid $125 for that previous Web Wars auction and lost. I guess he wasn't going to let this one get away...he raised his bid even higher in the closing seconds. :!:

I often wonder in cases like this how high the winning bidder was actually willing to go.

wow yeah. that person must have not thought that through XD he could have bought a vectrex light pen with that money! lol

Sold for $172.50 by the same seller as the copy of Web Wars (and also missing the plastic tray)...

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2512303790291?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=251230379029&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

WTF???? And that was the same damn seller from Gordonsville that also sold a Polar Rescue for $400+:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FPolar-Rescue-Vectrex-1982-%2F160944443832%3Fpt%3DVideo_Games_Games%26hash%3Ditem25790951b8

and Star Castle for $170+:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FVectrex-Star-Castle-%2F160962967342%3Fpt%3DVideo_Games_Accessories%26hash%3Ditem257a23f72e

If it weren't for the fact that some of these games were in (apparent) mint condition, I'd swear that this was either shill-bidding or money laundering going on. Whatever's happening, this guy's sales are a perfect example of why Vectrex prices have been up up up lately. Somebody listing a game sees that a recent one went for these insane sums and prices accordingly, and bidders bid accordingly. This bubble isn't going to deflate itself anytime soon...

WTF???? And that was the same damn seller from Gordonsville that also sold a Polar Rescue for $400+:

http://rover.ebay.co...=item25790951b8

http://rover.ebay.co...=item257a23f72e

If it weren't for the fact that some of these games were in (apparent) mint condition, I'd swear that this was either shill-bidding or money laundering going on. Whatever's happening, this guy's sales are a perfect example of why Vectrex prices have been up up up lately. Somebody listing a game sees that a recent one went for these insane sums and prices accordingly, and bidders bid accordingly. This bubble isn't going to deflate itself anytime soon...

Makes me very happy that I got a vectrex and 12 games for $125 (then went back the next week and got another unit and 12 games (some dups) for another $125) around 10 years ago. I think I paid like 40-50 for star castle 3-4 years ago.

But I agree... when a few ebay auctions go really high then everyone thinks their copy is worth that much...

http://rover.ebay.co...=item25790951b8

http://rover.ebay.co...=item257a23f72e

omg are you kidding me? whoever is buying that is an IDIOTTT!!! if you had double that money, you could get a cib 3d imager with some games!! most vectrex games are worth 25-40$ cib (most of the most common ones) and the most expensive game is mr.boston, by far. its annoying to see people buying these things overpriced. if you look at the listings that people have bought, some people paid more than other cheaper deals bin! i feel glad to have had such luck with the vectrex. i got a lot of 2 loose games (polar resque and fortress of narzod) for 30$ including shipping. and i got a vectrex with 5 cib games for 75$ :) but its a great system

Makes me very happy that I got a vectrex and 12 games for $125 (then went back the next week and got another unit and 12 games (some dups) for another $125) around 10 years ago. I think I paid like 40-50 for star castle 3-4 years ago.

But I agree... when a few ebay auctions go really high then everyone thinks their copy is worth that much...

i agree as well. i saw someone on AA who was selling clean sweep cib for 45$... i tried to tell him that it was too much, but he said that he looked on ebay and judged the price off of that... that game is worth 25-30$ cib easily...