IGNORED

NES Advantage

My favorite controller to use for the NES. Really love the arcade feel.

Anyways I was using one of my NES Advantage's when I was playing my NES last and noticed there was a problem. When I had both the A and B buttons on Turbo both of the LED lights were shot. Won't turn on. Was wondering is there a way to fix this???

I have another Advantage controller but not using that because it doesn't look brand new. It's got that yellowing all over. How do I restore that controller to it's original light grey color?

People sure have a lot of nostagic love for the ASCIIware NES Advantage, but I personally feel it's one of the most overrated controllers of all time. NOT made by Nintendo, it was a licensed product of ASCIIware, makers of low end controllers and joysticks throughout the 80's and 90's. ASCIIware also made the similarly flawed Super Advantage joystick.

The problems with the NES Advantage stem from it's short shalf which merely presses pads, making it a giant dpad and it's B and A buttons. Again simple, oversized buttons and not microswitch controlled, if you don't hit these dead center they actually get stuck. Unfortunetely, because of the low depth, it's not actually possible to modify the NES Advantage with higher quality parts.

Personally, I would recommend the Capcom Fighter Power Stick as it also offers NES support. Even completely unmodified, it's a far better option than the NES Advantage.

• Like 3

It's just that the NES Advantage gets way more love than it really deserves. It's not the worst arcade stick ever made, but it is rather low end. I think most gamers mistake it for an official Nintendo controller and therefore carry over the same sorts of feelings they have for other Nintendo controllers, such as the SNES controller which IS excellent.

I've used the NES Advantage for years, it is reliable and still functions as it always has. Yes, those buttons can stick occasionally, especially if a bit of dirt gets down in there, but after (taking it apart and) cleaning it well, and spraying a bit of silicon spray in the button holes, it works very well. I like the size, the profile, the position of the buttons and stick and almost everything is perfectly positioned for my tastes. It may not be industrial grade, but for home use, with reasonable care, it is great. The only thing that bothers me (a little) is that the ball on top can come unscrewed while playing, a minor irritant, which could be remedied with lock-tite if I wanted to bother.

NOT made by Nintendo, it was a licensed product of ASCIIware, makers of low end controllers and joysticks throughout the 80's and 90's.

I've never had a NES Advantage or SuperNes Super Advantage, but I liked their Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis Fighter Sticks.

30609.jpg

Been using the Super Nintendo version for 20 years now. And after acquiring a Sega Genesis version NIB a few years ago, that now sees a lot of use on both the Genesis and several earlier systems.

Their turbo Super Nintendo gamepad is also a very nice accessory.

Edited by Atariboy

People sure have a lot of nostagic love for the ASCIIware NES Advantage, but I personally feel it's one of the most overrated controllers of all time. NOT made by Nintendo, it was a licensed product of ASCIIware, makers of low end controllers and joysticks throughout the 80's and 90's. ASCIIware also made the similarly flawed Super Advantage joystick.

The problems with the NES Advantage stem from it's short shalf which merely presses pads, making it a giant dpad and it's B and A buttons. Again simple, oversized buttons and not microswitch controlled, if you don't hit these dead center they actually get stuck. Unfortunetely, because of the low depth, it's not actually possible to modify the NES Advantage with higher quality parts.

Personally, I would recommend the Capcom Fighter Power Stick as it also offers NES support. Even completely unmodified, it's a far better option than the NES Advantage.

The NES Advantage is a well regarded stick because it's the first taste of an arcade style controller on a home console many of us ever had. That there may have been better options released after, doesn't negate the positive impact of the Advantage. It certainly has it's good qualities, in that it's heavy, with a low center of gravity (i.e. won't move around), a steel stick, custom dual turbo, slow-mo, and 1-2 player swap which I've never seen anywhere else. I bought 2 of them for $9.99 each at Kay-Bee toys many years ago. Show me a stick with those features and build quality at that price brand new.

Edited by Nuclear Pacman
  • Like 4

C'mon Lushgirl, you need yourself one of THESE bad boys! :D

http://atariage.com/...i/#entry2260460

The NES Advantage is a well regarded stick because it's the first taste of an arcade style controller on a home console many of us ever had. That there may have been better options released after, doesn't negate the positive impact of the Advantage.

+1 to that! Just because it might not be the best today, doesn't mean it didn't have its place in time.

if you don't hit these dead center they actually get stuck.

Seconded. I still kind of like the stick, but the iffy buttons suck.

Yes, those buttons can stick occasionally, especially if a bit of dirt gets down in there,

I'm really surprised to read these posts. I've been using mine for going on 25 years and I've never experienced a stuck button.

NOT made by Nintendo, it was a licensed product of ASCIIware

This is not correct. The original NES Advantage was manufactured by Nintendo. You can tell because it has the Nintendo logo on the device and a NES-026 part number on the bottom. Third party licensed products are not going to have those markings. Case in point is the Super Advantage. Nowhere on the controller does the Nintendo logo appear. I don't own one, but I'm guessing there is also no SNS part number on it either.

It is probably 90% nostalgia but I absolutely love the NES Advantage. I can still remember when I got it for my birthday and I spent the whole night messing around with the slow function on Duck Tales. And getting mad that it kept switching between the menu and the game in Zelda lol. For a long time I had gimped NES pads and the Advantage was the only way I could play my games.

I prefer regular pads or my NES Max these days but man, when I was a kid the Advantage was so awesome.

• Like 1

This is not correct. The original NES Advantage was manufactured by Nintendo. You can tell because it has the Nintendo logo on the device and a NES-026 part number on the bottom. Third party licensed products are not going to have those markings. Case in point is the Super Advantage. Nowhere on the controller does the Nintendo logo appear. I don't own one, but I'm guessing there is also no SNS part number on it either.

That's a good theory, but you're the one who is incorrect, not me. Just because Nintendo slapped their logo and gave it a parts number does not mean they made it. If you open an NES Advantage, you can see ASCIIware's logo printed on the pcb, along with manufacturing information that clearly and unrefutably links it with ASCIIware, not Nintendo. And the NES Advantage isn't the only example of this.

The official Nintendo four player hub adapter for the NES called the FourScore was again NOT made by Nintendo, but Japanese arcade supplier giant Hori. To discover that, you again need to look at the actual pcb.

And for the record, the Super Advantage (sold only in North America) was also made by ASCIIware. The European official joystick was made by Nintendo.

Edited by Satoshi Matrix
  • Like 1

That's a good theory, but you're the one who is incorrect, not me. Just because Nintendo slapped their logo and gave it a parts number does not mean they made it. If you open an NES Advantage, you can see ASCIIware's logo printed on the pcb, along with manufacturing information that clearly and unrefutably links it with ASCIIware, not Nintendo.

Well, I opened one up and no there is no ASCIIware logo printed on the PCBs. The only identifying marking is JAKING which I assume is Shenzhen Jaking Electronics, Co. All that means to me is that Nintendo outsourced the manufacturing of the device to this company. I don't see anything that irrefutably links the device with ASCIIware.

I took some shots of the boards so that you can see for yourself.

post-27362-0-95709700-1364963307_thumb.jpg post-27362-0-74037200-1364963336_thumb.jpg post-27362-0-04693800-1364963387_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

hmm thats odd. I could've sworn I've clearly seen asciiware's mark written all over the pcb. :/

I'm going to have to take one of mine apart and check. I might be thinking of another stick, but I'm pretty sure it was the nes advantage, hence explaining my low opinion of what would otherwise be an official nintendo controller.

Does it really even matter that it was or wasn't made my Nintendo? I don't think so. While the Advantage definitely has drawbacks, it's about the only thing that was available everywhere. It had the same colour as the NES, fit in great and made most arcade games a lot more playable. It could've been made better but I was happy with it...I have a minty one upstairs but I rarely use it. Can't play 1943 without it!...I would definitely like to try something else, but there's not much to choose from. The SNES Advantage was a dog, no bones about that.

I guess this thread drifted away from Lush's intent...oh well! You know what I'd like...a completely leaf-switched two button stick with the old red ball style joystick, for my NES. That would kick ass.

• Like 1

Personally I highly recommmend the Capcom Fighter Power Stick. the Nintendo version has plugs for both SNES and NES. It's a much larger (and much more mod friendly) arcade stick that's only drawback is it's lack of a metal plate giving it weight. You could glue something heavy to it though, so it's not a huge problem.

I've not had problems with the buttons on either of my NES Advantage sticks "sticking" because they got pressed off-center.

But I have had that problem with the AsciiWare sticks for the Genesis and Super Nintendo, the latter with both the SN-6 and the Super Advantage.

Regarding the NES Advantage and other sticks for the NES, I acknowledge that there are likely better sticks out there, but the Advantage is a pretty decent stick, and is fairly available.

I used the same Advantage stick last night and actually the LED lights do work!!! Strange as the first time they didn't work.

Oh gawd I totally recommend trying out Legendary Wings using the NES Advantage. That game is just so badass using that controller, also makes it more challenging for some reason.

I used the same Advantage stick last night and actually the LED lights do work!!! Strange as the first time they didn't work.

Oh gawd I totally recommend trying out Legendary Wings using the NES Advantage. That game is just so badass using that controller, also makes it more challenging for some reason.

I'd have to agree with this. Arcade sticks in general make anything more challenging for me. I think this was part of the magic that Nintendo had. The d-pad was so much closer to your fingers that it felt like an extension of your hand.