IGNORED

What's Imagic's best game?

Mind Master

I still don't get why EVERYONE jocks Demon Attack. I mean its ok, but I really don't see the big appeal. I'd place it toward the bottom of my Imagic favorites. With awesome games like No Escape!, Fathom, and Dragonfire, I just don't get why everyone digs this game so much.

:? :? :? :? :? :? :?

I still don't get why EVERYONE jocks Demon Attack.  I mean its ok, but I really don't see the big appeal.

I guess you have to put it in it's proper perspective and realize how it was one of the FIRST (if not THE first.. along w/ Pitfall) that showed what the 2600 could REALLY do. If it didn't age well, at the very least it should be held up in that historical perspective i.m.o. Lets face it.. multiple enemies? Splitting into tiny birds that kamikaze you? That was FRESH my friend :D (for home gaming)

Granted, Imagic and other companies came out with a lot of better games later w/ more eye candy.. but Demon Attack was in a time when the best looking games for the 2600 were Superman, Basketball, Indy 500, Activision Skiing, Fishing Derby, Freeway, etc.. you get my drift. So Demon Attack sort of blew right through that barrier and really brought home that fast "arcade" gameplay :)

Yeah they had better games later.. but that was only natural and expected evolution. :D

post-31-1045813216_thumb.jpg

Hey, Defender was good too! ...For it's time. And to be fair the article does go on to state that:

"While the Atari design team had to make some alterations to make Defender fit within the VCS' limitations, they have performed their labors with such cunning that the player is treated to a true evocation of the kind of action that has made Defender such a favorite of arcade aces."

...which is RIGHT on the money as far as home game expectations were in 1982. They knew it wasn't perfect (what home game was?) but it sure made for some good console gaming :D

The problem is that Stargate so clearly outclasses Defender, it proves what a +good+ 2600 Defender should have been like. I can't look at or play VCS Defender and not see it as a failure of taking the time and effort to do it right, much as I look at the original 2600 Pac-Man the same way. That's not to say they aren't FUN games. That's a different issue. But if we're talking "best of" I can't see nominating Defender for that at all.

The problem is that Stargate so clearly outclasses Defender, it proves what a +good+ 2600 Defender should have been like.  I can't look at or play VCS Defender and not see it as a failure of taking the time and effort to do it right..... But if we're talking "best of" I can't see nominating Defender for that at all.

uhh dude. Stargate came out what.. THREE years later in 1985? That's a LONG time in videogame history my friend :P Those awards are for, and were done in 1982 :)

Sure in retrospect with history at our belt we know better now. But you gotta place yourself at that point in time and I'll 100% guarantee that at that particular date, Defender WAS probably one of the best ports available :)

(and it also illustrates my point of how at the very least, Demon Attack should not be forgotten as the "groundbreaker" it was) :D

Sure in retrospect with history at our belt we know better now. But you gotta place yourself at that point in time and I'll 100% guarantee that at that particular date, Defender WAS probably one of the best ports available :)

(and it also illustrates my point of how at the very least, Demon Attack should not be forgotten as the "groundbreaker" it was) :D

I guess I can't argue with that. :D

I loved Atari Defender! It was my favorite cart for a long time when I got it waaaay back in '82! My only real complaint about it is it IS a bit too easy... it's one of the very, very few games I have rolled, and I did that when I was 11 years old. :-)

I gotta admit, I never saw the appeal of Demon Attack, even back in the day. Cosmic Ark, on the other hands, rules! Then, now, and forever! :-)