IGNORED

What's Imagic's best game?

Mind Master

I just finished reading the Nov 83 issue of Videogaming and Computer Illustrated and they could not heap enough praise on Moonsweeper. They love the two separate screens, the graphics, the colors of the planets, the little guys who look like they wave, and the gravity rings or whatever they called them. I actually bought this game new about 20 years ago and it was ok but not as good as the review made it out to be.

Of course in the same issue, they gave one of the greatest games ever (Beamrider) a very low review so that shows how much they know :D

Just wanted to say.. that for all the Activision fans out there... Imagic wins all the way! Wooohooo!!   :D  

...'course, which ones still around though I guess is another story  :ponder:

That is why Activision Anthology was so sweet. We got the best of both.

Imagic reviews from Nov 83 Videogaming & Computergaming Illustrated:

Reviews were given by E.C. Meade and Jim Clark

Fathom:

E.C. - Graphics: A Gameplay: A-

nifty game but who will be attracted to this type of game? Kids would rather be a tank or car than a bird. Superb anamation with sharp colors.

J.C. - Graphics: A Gameplay: D

Beautiful graphics but a rehash on gameplay from dolphin, barnstorming, journey escape and adventure.

Moonsweeper:

Was actually reviewed in the October issue but there is a 2 page strategy guide in the November issue. Here are the comments from the end of the strategy article:

With Moonsweeper, Imagic has once again taken the Atari 2600 and wrung from it every drop of potency, like a sponge. Even with hints and strategies, perhaps because of them, Moonsweeper will still be fresh months from now.

They absolutely loved this game!

I loved the Imagic box art! The modified Star Wars ships, GIJoe missiles, those must have been a lot of fun to make :)

I actually have the exact same three Imperial dinosaurs from the Demon Attack box that I am planning on painting silver and gluing the GIJoe pieces to and then I will hang them above my TV in the Atari room :D

I'll be sure to take a picture of the results...

My favorite Imagic game: Hmmm, I actually enjoy playing all of them. The two games I play the least are Fire Fighter and Star Voyager. The rest get equal playing time. No Escape has great music and graphics.

Doug

well if you are now talking other systems... Imagic's Intellivison games are amazing.

Microsurgeon is just beyond belief, and still unique to this day. It is also a great two player cooperative game. Swords and Serpents is also a phenomenal two player cooperative adventure. Safe Cracker is a gorgeous spy game with a great isometric city. Dracula is just awesome, and when you make someone a zombie, a second player can control the zombie and use him to help you!

The music and graphics in Ice Trek really evoke an atmosphere. I used to love it when the avenging valkryie would come out.

I only have one copy of each of Solar Storm & Quickstep.

@MMF - I see that you don't have Subterranea.  If you have no objections to PAL carts, I should be able to secure a copy of this for you, gratis.  I can give it to you at PC4 if you're going.

Oz, that's a very generous offer. Unfortunately I don't own a single television with a vertical hold control; and for me collecting the game is always about playing as much as having. :(

Fathom:

J.C. - Graphics: A Gameplay: D

Beautiful graphics but a rehash on gameplay from dolphin, barnstorming, journey escape and adventure.

That's ridiculous: Journey Escape and Adventure were NOTHING like that. Fathom kind of goes under the platform as a "puzzle" game, really. Journey Escape wasn't a puzzle game, nor was Adventure!

well if you are now talking other systems... Imagic's Intellivison games are amazing.

Yep, especially when they took elements from the 2600 versions and turned 'em up a notch, like the mother ship on Intel. Demon Attack (even though Atari sued 'em for it, and won), plus their version of Atlantis during nightfall, plus the saucer can also attack!

Swords and Serpents is also a phenomenal two player cooperative adventure.

Yep, I've always thought that Gauntlet was Atari's revenge on Imagic, since the view is the same way. That was a pretty different game at the time, in my opinion.

Oz, that's a very generous offer.  Unfortunately I don't own a single television with a vertical hold control; and for me collecting the game is always about playing as much as having. :(

No worries MMF, rolling screens are a real pain

Real shame as I can get boxed copies of Subterranea in the UK for as little as £2/$3US

No worries MMF, rolling screens are a real pain

Real shame as I can get boxed copies of Subterranea in the UK for as little as £2/$3US

Wow, no kidding. For that price I'd take a complete in the box copy ANYWAY just for the niceness of having a boxed Imagic game other than Demon Attack (and that for Intellivision to boot). I think I'll retract my previous statement. :D Gratis is nice, but I am certainly willing to hand you $3 US on the spot at PC, you can buy yourself a few a loose Atari games with your cash, and I can search to see if somebody has the US version I can swap into the box. :ponder: :D

I only have one copy of each of Solar Storm & Quickstep.

@MMF - I see that you don't have Subterranea.  If you have no objections to PAL carts, I should be able to secure a copy of this for you, gratis.  I can give it to you at PC4 if you're going.

Oz, that's a very generous offer. Unfortunately I don't own a single television with a vertical hold control; and for me collecting the game is always about playing as much as having. :(

Have you actually tried playing a PAL cart on one of your TV's? I found that my newest TV, although it doesn't have a vertical hold, will display PAL carts just fine.

Oddly enough, NTSC Artillery Duel rolls on it. I've heard other people have this problem as well.

Have you actually tried playing a PAL cart on one of your TV's? I found that my newest TV, although it doesn't have a vertical hold, will display PAL carts just fine.

I tried my PAL Boing! on several different TV's in the house with the same results. But as I said, I do retract my previous disinterest if Osmeroid has CIB copies floating around cheap. :D