IGNORED

CF7+ Questions

Tempest

Yes... LOAD loads automatically and usually launches the main program file on the disk.

There are a few exceptions, but 99 times out of 100, that's absolutely the case.

Yeah I saw a LOAD file on those two Infocom games that need the Supercart so it must use EA not XB like the rest of the Infocom games.

A bigger problem is going to figure out if some of these games are EA 5 or EA 3.

Is there anything that I need to watch out for when selecting a card?

Yeah, some brands just don't work. The *used* card that came with my CF7 when I bought it was a Kingston 32MB. When it crapped out (along with the one logic chip on the CF7), I bought a new 32MB Fuji CF card on ebay for $10 I think. It did NOT work in the CF7. I also tried various brands of larger cards like 4GB and 8GB, but those did not work either. Finally I purchased a new 32MB SanDisk CF card (again from ebay) and luckily it worked.

I'm having some issues with my CF card, but I'm wondering if I'm just doing something wrong. TI99DIR will see the CF if I tell it to READ CF7+ VOLUME LIST but when I try to copy something over it will say "Can't Write Sector to TI Disk . Error . I'm guessing I have to format the CF card somehow since it's in FAT format, but the INITIALIZE CF7+ VOLUME option isn't available. Is there another way to do this?

EDIT: OK it looks like I can Initialize it if I select a single volume at a time then I can copy the disk image over. Do I have to do this for EVERY volume or is there a way to 'Mass Initialize'?

Something is wrong with my CF7+. Whenever I put the CF card in it it corrupts all the data and won't load anything. When I put it back in my PC and read the card with TI99DIR it's all corrupted and unformatted. Any idea why this would happen? I lost 151 volumes worth of games and I'd really not like to do this again.

Maybe it's my power supply? I think I'm using a 12v 300mA one. Wrong voltage/amperage?

EDIT: I'm really starting to wonder if it's not the power supply. I don't think this is the one I was using before. Hopefully I didn't hurt the board. It seems to work with this power supply (says CF7+ on the start screen), but the CF card is getting corrupted every time.

This is indeed troubling... So you can load up your CF card okay from TI99Dir (or equivalent) and view your volumes while you're plugged into the PC...

Then you plug the CF card into the CF7 and you cannot read the volumes? The volumes corrupt upon load?

Yes, when I plug the CF card in the CF7 it acts like there's nothing on the card (I tried to XB Autoload the only file on there and it failed). Then when I put the card back in my PC TI99DIR says that I'm trying to read a PC formatted card and if I say Yes do it anyway it's all blank with no formatted volumes.

EDIT: I had plugged in a different power supply (6V 150mA or something like that) before and it didn't like it. Nothing would come up, not even the TI99 with it plugged in. Maybe that damaged it somehow? I really don't know.

Ok I think it's just the card. When I tried using my old 32MB one it worked perfectly. Is there something I need to do to 'Format' the CF card the first time I use it with the CF7? TI99DIR keeps telling me that it's formatted FAT and I'm thinking that might be the problem (my other card doesn't do that). Is there a way to fix this?

EDIT: Upon further testing it appears to always destroy whatever file is in Volume 1's slot. Very odd. Could it just be an incompatible CF card?

Just on the new 256MB one, my old 32MB card works like a charm.

Interestingly the first time I used the 256MB card (after I loaded it up with games) it corrupted the whole thing, but now it seems to only kill the first file. Very odd. If there's no special 'first time format' thing then I'm going to chalk this up to an incompatible card and try another one.

I'm also having problems with the first volume being wiped out from time to time. My card is a 256MB Sandisk Ultra II. After reformatting volume 1 a few times I just stopped using this volume. I also purchased a 2GB Sandisk Ultra (not Ultra II) card, but I stopped using it after a few times because multiple volumes were corrupted (and in reality I only need a few volumes).

Something is wrong with my CF7+. Whenever I put the CF card in it it corrupts all the data and won't load anything. When I put it back in my PC and read the card with TI99DIR it's all corrupted and unformatted. Any idea why this would happen? I lost 151 volumes worth of games and I'd really not like to do this again.

Maybe it's my power supply? I think I'm using a 12v 300mA one. Wrong voltage/amperage?

EDIT: I'm really starting to wonder if it's not the power supply. I don't think this is the one I was using before. Hopefully I didn't hurt the board. It seems to work with this power supply (says CF7+ on the start screen), but the CF card is getting corrupted every time.

Mine (nanoPEB) is +5 volts, 2.4 amps regulated DC output (positive center pole).

...lee

It can't be the power supply as my 32MB card works just fine (those Infocom games look amazing on the TI99!). At this point it's one of two things:

1. There's some special first time formatting command I'm missing. Like I said earlier, TI99DIR keeps telling me my card is formatted for Windows (and it is FAT) but seems to work with it anyway.

2. This card simply isn't compatible with the CF7+. Normally I'd say this is the most obvious answer, but if this were true why would it only corrupt the first VOL? I set a different VOL to be mounted as disk 1, and it still didn't work and corrupted the first one. Very odd behavior.

2. This card simply isn't compatible with the CF7+. Normally I'd say this is the most obvious answer, but if this were true why would it only corrupt the first VOL? I set a different VOL to be mounted as disk 1, and it still didn't work and corrupted the first one. Very odd behavior.

Not so odd when using an incompatible card. The results won't make sense. The CF7 seems to be very picky about what cards it will work with, and 256MB cards probably have an internal layout completely different than, say, the 32MB cards. Since the CF7 works at the raw level of the card, the native formatting probably makes a huge difference. I never messed with CF cards though, so I don't really know why the different brands and sizes would affect the CF7 so much.

As for the required power supply, the CF7 uses a 7805 voltage regulator (at least on the CF7 I have), which is a good thing that allows the CF7 to not have to rely on the input power to be exactly right. The 78xx regulators are very good and very reliable, but they are not "low drop out" regulators and in order to regulate to 5VDC the input can't be 5VDC. If you look at the 7805 datasheet, the minimum input of the 7805 for proper regulation is 7VDC, with a maximum of 25VDC. The 7805 can regulate up to 1A of current, and the CF7 itself probably uses 200ma to 300ma (speculating). The CF7's center pole of the DC jack, also called the "tip", is positive.

I would recommend any VDC supply from 7.5VDC to 15VDC @ 300ma or greater, with a positive tip.