IGNORED

IK/World Karate Championship ported to Amiga!

Since I am a fan of both platforms I thought I would share this. Pretty cool since the Amiga oddly didn't get this port.

mC6IbsT.png

U1sfjv5.png

The game multitasks and requires a more powerful Amiga to run since it is doing some screen conversion. But it actually runs better as the game, IMHO, ran a tad slow on a stock ST. It was released in beta and had some bugs but it seems to work well now. I even uploaded a World Karate Championship version (US name) into the Zone on the site. If you want the ADF let me know.

http://eab.abime.net...ead.php?t=68546

Edited by tjlazer

I find the fact that the Amiga didn't have this game before now to be almost shocking. I'd always assumed the Amiga had this game, and in fact, I figured the ST, C64, Atari 800 and all other versions to have been ports from an original Amiga game! This game was even on the Spectrum and Apple II weren't they? And NES?

it would be great if he release the disassembled code of this game and others that he ported, so anybody could take it and port it to the Jaguar.

There is at least one person who has been converting ST games to the Jaguar, like Star Raiders for example, I don't think they would need any help from this project to port IK to the Jag on their own, just ask them! (see Star Raiders threads on JS2 and AA Jag forums)

I finally decided to get a copy of IK for the ST, after reading this thread, I'd only ever played the Atari 8-bit version previously, and once on a C64. I was always impressed with the pictures I saw of the ST version over the years, but I guess they were just never big enough pictures to truely reveal the ST graphics. i must say, I really prefer the 8-bit graphics and playability of this game over the ST version. ST graphics are too "busy" like the artist(s) tried to do the pixel graphics like one would paint an oil painting, and with only 16 colors, everything is too busy. Pixel-perfection is required for low-res, low-color games. They did it right with the limited resources of the Atari 8-bit. Also, as other's have mentioned, the characters do look like Alf or apes or something, at least they look human on the 8-bit versions. Maybe I'll get used to the ST IK graphics though, and learn to appreciate them anyway, some screens aren't too bad.

I certainly don't feel like I missed out on anything only having ever played the 8-bit version over the years. I like the 8-bit music better too.

I wouldn't go so far as saying its a disaster or worse than the 8-bit version. Don't know why people hate it so much. I think it's rather good personally. Only issue is the 16 color limit. Problem is when your doing a 16-bit version with limited colors, it's just not going to look too good. A 32 color version of this game would be awesome.

Yes they do look like Alf. Lol. But it's still got really good graphics. It does run a little slow on the ST though. On a 16Mhz ST it runs much better and the Amiga version runs it great on a 030.

Don't know why people hate it so much.

Probably because it's slower. And the controls lag. And it's tedious to play. And not fluid at all like the 8bit versions. And it's had all the fun amputated out of it.

Thankfully, IK+ put it all back again :)

• Like 1

Only issue is the 16 color limit. Problem is when your doing a 16-bit version with limited colors, it's just not going to look too good.

No, having only 16 colors is NOT the problem, the superior 8-bit version on the Atari 800 has less colors (except for maybe some DLI's in the background), and the graphics, though much simpler, work better. It's a matter of the artists, not colors. Of course art appreciation is a matter of opinion and taste.

Edited by Gunstar

No, having only 16 colors is NOT the problem, the superior 8-bit version on the Atari 800 has less colors (except for maybe some DLI's in the background), and the graphics, though much simpler, work better. It's a matter of the artists, not colors. Of course art appreciation is a matter of opinion and taste.

Still strongly disagree. You can't compare a 8-bit version with simpler graphics and 16 colors, to a 16-bit version, that is more complex, and more detailed with same number of colors. Yes the 8 bit version looks very nice and clean. And the 16 colors work well with it. But the limitation of the 16 colors are very evident on the ST version. The graphics are more complex. More dithering and gradient is used to make it look better than the 8-bit versions. Yes they do look cartoonish, but that's the next progression for 16-bit. I think the lack of polish is due to the limit of 16 colors! Look at the bubble signs, they don't even have enough colors to make them white! If the game ran faster, and had more colors, and if they did not look like ALF, the game would be perfect IMHO.

I love the 8-bit versions and have them both for my C64 and Atari 800XL, but I do like the 16-bit version a lot and am glad there is an Amiga port that takes care of the slow speed issue I had....

Edited by tjlazer

If the game ran faster, and had more colors, and if they did not look like ALF, the game would be perfect IMHO.

LOL!!! ROFL!!! That's a lot of if's and and's to arrive at a "perfect game." :woozy:

Sounds to me like; If they redid it from the ground up and made it more like the 8-bit version... Or, if it weren't crap, it'd be perfect! LOL!!!

Sorry dude, that's just too much!

But there are plenty of games I find worthy, warts and all, that others won't touch with a ten foot pole, so to each his own.

Edited by Gunstar

Most ST games are far from perfect, and alot are crappy to begin with. And I can say the same thing and even go as far as saying it is FAR worse on the Atari 8 bits! So in comparison to the platforms in large, I would say that this game rocks on the ST...

I would LOVE to see this game reworked for the Amiga to run in 32 colors. (or even the STE?) That would be great and would make it so much more appealing. The poorly dithered graphics and sluggish gameplay are what the problem is. But the visuals are leaps and bounds better than the 8-bit versions. Bottom line.

Edited by tjlazer

But the visuals are leaps and bounds better than the 8-bit versions. Bottom line.

In your opinion. I think it looks like shit and plays worse. That is my opinion. Archer had no involvement with this, and it shows.

In regards to the official IK+. I think IK looks more 16-bit than the official IK+ !! Maybe it's just me though, and my humble opinion. By no means am I dogging IK+ on the Atari/Amiga. It's a great game. Just too 8-bit ish to me.

Edited by tjlazer