IGNORED

Princess Rescue Now Available!

Albert

Don't worry Albert, it does not matter. At least, my copy is unique :-D In a few years, this copy worth several thousand dollars ^^

Also, thank you for the rom.

Edit : haha ! the hair from Albert ;)

post-31627-0-22723800-1375287570_thumb.jpg

Edited by Horeus

Ummmm. Where do I find the ignore button again? I've never used it before but I think I've just found my first candidate. :)

"Ignore" sounds like a good idea at first, but oftentimes the rants of one annoying member can result in many humorous replies. If you ignore one member's posts, others will inevitably make a funny reply to it, and you won't "get" the joke. :dunce:

@Albert: Thanks for the binaries. Now I'm off to my hex editor to examine the differences between the final release and my latest beta ROM PR RC v3 (release candidate 3).

Sorry about the hair, I'm sure that's one of mine!

Now you've done it. He'll probably start making and selling limited edition clones of you. And then people will start complaining because your value and exclusivity will be diminished. And collectors will start buying Albert clones and just putting them on their shelves in the hopes that someday they'll be worth more money.

Next time, wear a hair net.

Edited by Nathan Strum

Thanks for the binaries!! When I travel I take an Atari JR, my Harmony, and Flashback 2 controllers all tucked into a briefcase. There is enough room for one cart, and my loose PR was getting a little worn riding in the suitcase. Two things I've found interesting, 1. This game has a very noticeable "delay" when played on some newer flatscreen TVs. Not complaining, just found it to be more noticeable than on most games. At home I'm set up old school CRT and it's spot on. 2 Just in my opinion, the Flashback 2 controllers are the closest "feeling" thing I've found to the high maintenance CX-10 originals. And the stick unscrews for easy packing in my travel case.

This game has a very noticeable "delay" when played on some newer flatscreen TVs. Not complaining, just found it to be more noticeable than on most games.

The game itself should have no bearing on this sort of effect with flatscreen TVs, that's entirely the TV and/or anything else between the Atari 2600 and TV causing this delay. I've had mixed luck with flat panel displays and projectors when using Atari 2600 consoles. Nothing seems to work as well as a CRT.

..Al

Yeah, I noticed on my HDTV, anything lower than S-Video gets upscaled in a bad way and has lag. I tried MMAC for GCN on Wii in both component and composite and noticed lag in composite, but not in component. My Genesis and Atari Video Pinball didn't like the HD TV either. Visual Shock, Speed Shock, Sound Shock became Blur Shock.

I'm enjoying this game on harmony cart. I remember back in the day wishing there was a SMB on the 2600 and now this is a dream come true.

Edited by BrianC

Yeah, I noticed on my HDTV, anything lower than S-Video gets upscaled in a bad way and has lag. I tried MMAC for GCN on Wii in both component and composite and noticed lag in composite, but not in component. My Genesis and Atari Video Pinball didn't like the HD TV either. Visual Shock, Speed Shock, Sound Shock became Blur Shock.

I'm enjoying this game on harmony cart. I remember back in the day wishing there was a SMB on the 2600 and now this is a dream come true.

My HDTV does fairly well with composite signals and RF, but anything that flickers at 30HZ will get tiny venetian blinds on it. NTSC video standard calls for 480i 59.97Hz (262+263 scanlines), but the vast majority of 8- and 16- bit systems display in 240p 60Hz (262+262 scanlines). The vast majority of HDTVs will interpret this signal as interlaced and will display venetian blinds artifacts onscreen. This isn't so bad for games like Mario, but the many Atari games, especially newer homebrews with 30Hz everything, the venitian blinds start to fill up the screen quickly and quite frankly look ugly. Captured footage posted to Youtube is even worse because Youtube simply deletes every other field rather than deinterlace the frames, which deletes half of the flicker data. Emulator AVI output encoded at 60Hz do the same thing by deleting half of the data, and additionally have other artifacts (for instance 224 AVI from an NES emulator gets stretched to 240p instead of padded to properly fit the frame).

Another issuethat seems to affect Atari products specifically, is that the NTSC color signal is off spec, and in some cases this causes problems with some sets. My HDTV for the most part displays the RF video properly, but my Happauge USB capture (using busted VCR as demodulator) cannot tolerate the signal and displays in grayscale with horrible vertical jailbars. My NES, SNES, and Genesis all capture flawlessly on the Happauge.

Edited by stardust4ever

NTSC colorimetry was "restandardized" in 1987 (ironically, to stick with the defined standard of 1953, which was modified in the late 60's to ensure a better color rendition; with the progress in electronics, this modification was reverted) so most, if not all Atari 2600 use the "SMPTE C" color scheme; TV made after this date are supposed to recognize a SMPTE C signal from the standard SMPTE signal, but I guess that because it's rather old, your happauge card does recognize only the more recent SMPTE signal.

Why does it work with the NES then? Japan used the SMPTE standard colorimetry from the beginning, so it's likely that US NES use this standard despite being made before 1987.

Maybe if you check in your Happauge capture options you may find a colorimetry space option?

I don't know if it's my console or my TV but my Atari looks better with composite than s-video. I've never fully trusted s-video anyway even when it was the only option. In theory the advantage was slim so in practice it's non-existant.

if you used anything designed with s-video and composite, there is a huge difference. s-video is closer to component than composite video imo. much cleaner picture

I have used S-Video when I had a laser disc player. The difference was minimal and indistinguishable during most content. It mostly made credits and subtitles look better since some devices let the pixels jump a bit when they roll. The Atari with composite doesn't seem to have that problem though.

That was with an SD television though. The difference on an HD set upscaling could be more dramatic. I haven't seen test results with jpg comparisons. Most people just say it's better. I can give comparison photos of the S-Video being worse but I think my set up is an anomaly. S-Video shouldn't be worse even if it isn't better.

edit - Found this link. On the Super Nintendo S-Video is better. It depends on the device I suppose. Maybe my LD player was better at composite than most devices and maybe the quality coming from the Atari isn't really going to improve beyond what composite can offer.

Edited by mkiker2089