IGNORED

What happened to 8bit-guy?

tjb

Did his account get deleted? I saw a message earlier here on AA (maybe from within the Messenger?) stating his account was no longer active. Also, did he do all these 5200 conversions or were these done previously? Not trying to point the finger or start anything, just curious.

tjb

If my suspicion is correct, "8bit-guy" was not who he claimed to be, and no, the conversions were not his; he was taking credit for others' work.

(EDIT: I should clarify that it wasn't only my suspicion; several others have also noticed discrepancies in his stories, and similarities between "his projects" and others').

If my suspicion is correct, "8bit-guy" was not who he claimed to be, and no, the conversions were not his; he was taking credit for others' work.

I think you've spot on in your suspicion. I was thinking there was a enhanced Missile Command hack/enhancement done some time ago. I ran across this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/64470-missile-command-atari-8bit-hack/

tjb

I think you've spot on in your suspicion. I was thinking there was a enhanced Missile Command hack/enhancement done some time ago. I ran across this thread:

http://atariage.com/...ari-8bit-hack/

tjb

He wasn't taking credit for that program. He actually got it working on the 5200. The guy who originally started it never got it to work on the 5200. I don't think the 8-bit version ever worked completely either although it was farther alone.

Allan

He was either someone who was previously banned, and/or his greed got too out of control. He seemed legit at first, so I was only happy to throw $20 bucks his way since he was seemingly doing a service of sorts for the community by converting 400/800 games for play on the 5200. Turns out he was wanting $10 bucks per rom, and that was just ridiculous.

Ah yes He was making all these great ports with the suggestion to PM him for roms but when doing that he simply replied requesting Paypal donations. Excuse me if I am confusing him. I thought it curious why he simply was not posting all the bins directly, not that I expect work or conversions to be free but I felt he was false advertising, alluding to one thing only to do the old switch-a-roo. I have been out of work for ages so I am certainly happy to jump on some great free conversions, if you are looking to sell or raise funds for projects I have no issue with that but be honest and direct with your intent, don't be sneaky about it.

• Like 1

........ Turns out he was wanting $10 bucks per rom, and that was just ridiculous.

I couldn't agree more. Not only is $10 too much, they were not well ported. The controls suck in all the games but Missile Command.

(of the ones I tried anyway) His response was to use digital controls....

My take: I can see why some could think that 8bit-guy is a new alias for previously-banned "Fernando" - both aliases post in the 5200 forum; 8bit-guy seemed to appear after Fernando was banned; both seemed to have an imperfect skill at English, like it was their 2nd language.

I didn't know much about F, but was he as technical as 8bg - could he program A8/5200 and port assembler code? I assume it was 8bg making these conversions after all? 8bg claimed to be from Phoenix, although he seemed to me to be from a non-English country to me. Not that it matters of course. But something seemed strange about how he just appeared unknown yet was evidently pumping out conversion-after-conversion. I had assumed 8bg might be somebody who just discovered the AA forums. Yet, am I the only one who thought there seemed to be too much ambiguity and perhaps (inadvertent?) mis-direction in 8bg's posts? I guess he wanted money - that's a grey area for some since he was porting others' work; yet he still was providing new 5200 games which is what we all want right?

At first I thought some games, like MC+, were his! I'd never heard of the 3-cannon A8 version. So I did some net digging. It looked to me that the original A8 author never got the 5200 version working. You can find posts in this same 5200 forum from the earlier 2000's. Well, I played 8bg's version on emulator and it played extremely well - very solid!

On the one hand, it'd be a shame if somebody got banned because of suspicion they were a banned former member. but 8bg wasn't doing himself any favors by mysterious behavior I guess. We'll let the moderators work it out if there was just a misunderstanding. It'd be nice to know for sure once somebody knows.

On the one hand, it'd be a shame if somebody got banned because of suspicion they were a banned former member. but 8bg wasn't doing himself any favors by mysterious behavior I guess. We'll let the moderators work it out if there was just a misunderstanding. It'd be nice to know for sure once somebody knows.

No, they wouldn't do that, but there is more to the suspicion, and I've reached out to one of the mods who says they're looking into it. (wouldn't want to say much more than that. If he wants to chime in on this topic he surely will).

The dealings seemed really shady to me and I also had suspicions of who it was -- although the skill level to convert these didn't seem to fit. ?? I just don't know ??. I was going to respond to him in a PM about my thoughts on selling roms and the prices, but hadn't gotten around to it yet. $10 per rom was not only an outrageous price, but I was also very bothered about selling others' work. I don't consider this a gray area. I may as well say this because I've seen it before: I believe people should not (and have no right to) "sell" conversions, although I have no problem with people selling cartridges (charging for the materials & labor to put them together)... so long as the rom is available without charge. It becomes underhanded when the only way you can get the "rom" is to "buy a cartridge," (as would be the case with some of these only being available through Good Deal Games -- who I do like btw).

Homebrews are a completely different issue. The authors have every right to handle those how they see fit.

If this was not an alias of said previously-banned member, then I hope it can be cleared up and I hope to see more from him. Although, I also hope the business practices are straightened out and cleaned up.

Edited by KevinMos3

I don't mind donating a few bucks here and there to people who take the time to do these conversions. I look at it like a tip jar.

Turned out he didn't want to be tipped but actually paid $10 per game.

I'm not sure why people think it was not him doing the conversions. I had extensive PM's back and forth with him to straighten out all the bugs in MC+

Here is the PM he would send out:

Full version Binaries for this games are available:

* Pinhead 5200

* Falcon 5200

* Hyperblast!

* Juno First

* Pitstop 5200

* Missile Command + Arcade

* Night Mission pinball pokey version

* Night Mission Pinball Gtia Sound Version

* Night mission Pinball Alternate colors version

* Alien Ambush 5200 New colors, better speed

soon Space invaders Deluxe,Night Driver

and many more!

SURPRISE BIG GAME THIS WEEKEND

Digital Releases are

10 us$ / game

or 4 games for 29,99 us$

or 10 games for 65 us$

paypal to:

...@...com

if many people can contribute a bit,

i won't need to build carts and waste my time on that,

and be free to make more conversions

Then i can just publish more binaries to use on flash carts

Atarimax will build cartridges in the future if there's enough demand

the reason i'm not posting prices is because they are "suggestions" and i will try to lower them if i can gain any support

Here is the PM he would send out:

Full version Binaries for this games are available:

* Pinhead 5200

* Falcon 5200

* Hyperblast!

* Juno First

* Pitstop 5200

* Missile Command + Arcade

* Night Mission pinball pokey version

* Night Mission Pinball Gtia Sound Version

* Night mission Pinball Alternate colors version

* Alien Ambush 5200 New colors, better speed

soon Space invaders Deluxe,Night Driver

and many more!

SURPRISE BIG GAME THIS WEEKEND

Digital Releases are

10 us$ / game

or 4 games for 29,99 us$

or 10 games for 65 us$

paypal to:

...@...com

if many people can contribute a bit,

i won't need to build carts and waste my time on that,

and be free to make more conversions

Then i can just publish more binaries to use on flash carts

Atarimax will build cartridges in the future if there's enough demand

the reason i'm not posting prices is because they are "suggestions" and i will try to lower them if i can gain any support

........... I never got an email that was a direct sales pitch like that... He named $10 each to me when I asked what he wanted. FWIW I donated $10 and was given MC+ and Hyperblast! I think maybe because I told him if I had to "donate" more than a few bucks I'd have to be very selective about what I would donate for.....

Anyway, I agree that it doesn't seem right to outright sell the conversions. Carts I can see but not ROMS. I think making them available to all and having some sort of tip jar setup would have been a much better way.

Also, it would be nice to know the reason he is gone. If it is because the selling of conversions or he was proved to be a previously banned user.

Anyone get the games from 8-bit guy?

I got Hyperblast and Missile Command +.TBH I haven't even tried them yet. I was really only giving what i thought was a friendly donation as goodwill for someone doing a service for the community.