IGNORED

What happened to 8bit-guy?

tjb

This is really sort of strange. Some formerly unknown poster shows up promising all variety of 5200 game translations, turns out to be a fraud, and then vanishes. This has not happened just once, but twice. Is it all just a money grab, or for some form of notoriety? Why would a person do this?

He put up several demo's I think, including the Missile Command+ and Hyperchase I think. Most of the games he listed he never provided a demo, only a youtube video, making you wonder if they were converted at all. I never bothered with him because the games looked pretty lousy.

I played Hyperblast, Juno, MC+, and Pitstop. Hyperblast is a simple shooter and requires you to press the fire button repeatedly. This would cramp your hands in 1 minute on 5200. I've never been a fan of Juno. If you played the A8 version I'm sure its the same. Pitstop is the same , I played this the least. It's not fun to me anymore.

But MC+ was fantastic! I may like it more than the coin-op original! It has the 3 missile silos of course, and it allows tons of on-screen explosions. I like how if you use the fire button, the game auto-selects the nearest missile silo to shoot from; or you can use #1/2/3 buttons for manual control. I played this on Atari800win using the mouse to emulate the 5200 analog, and it controlled very well. The original author is the one who should be commended - Paul Lee, I think it said on boot-up.

8bit-guy asked me not to share these ROMs so I will respect that, at least for now until more time passes and we see if he is gone for good or not.

8bit-guy asked me not to share these ROMs so I will respect that, at least for now until more time passes and we see if he is gone for good or not.

Same here. He sent me some of the games to test and asked that I don't post them. Even though I believe he is Fernando, I can't say for sure, so I'm going to honor his request. By the way, one of his messages to me was signed M., which happens to be the initial of Fernando's real surname. Coincidence?

He had been asking me almost daily to port my Sudoku game to the 5200. I was even doing some work on it, but never sent him a compiled version since I was having trouble with the DLI code. Right about that time I found a real humdinger of a problem with my program and have spent weeks now mulling over how to fix this and frankly porting it to the 5200 is on the backburner until I get this figured out. I wondered why the PM's stopped though.

Edit: If this helps he/she was PM'ing me before as 'marialisar' and then I got a message that he/she lost the account info and had to create another account.

Edited by idavis

He had been asking me almost daily to port my Sudoku game to the 5200. I was even doing some work on it, but never sent him a compiled version since I was having trouble with the DLI code. Right about that time I found a real humdinger of a problem with my program and have spent weeks now mulling over how to fix this and frankly porting it to the 5200 is on the backburner until I get this figured out. I wondered why the PM's stopped though.

Edit: If this helps he/she was PM'ing me before as 'marialisar' and then I got a message that he/she lost the account info and had to create another account.

Marialisar was an account he created after his Fernando Marin account was banned. It was also banned after he was figured out. Now we know that 8bit-guy was indeed Fernando Marin. He's also gone by Sergio Majic.

Edit: Did I say Sergio Majic? I mean't Sermajic. ;)

He hinted at it in his posts. Remeber the small print.

Frantisek Houra you are the man !

Do you remember where you saw it?

I'm guessing Frantisek doesn't want to be bothered by people demanding this game or that game be done.

So is it OK to post the conversions so everyone can enjoy them?

Allan

I'm guessing Frantisek doesn't want to be bothered by people demanding this game or that game be done.

So is it OK to post the conversions so everyone can enjoy them?

I noticed the Frantisek Houra blurb. So I assume our friend Fandal is the one who did the conversion coding? So did Fandal do the conversion work and Fernando/8bit-guy sell them here ?

Nothing is posted about this here: http://atari.fandal.cz/

Regardless, it sounds like nobody is going to buy these off Fernando anyway at this point.

Edited by Cafeman

What I'm curious about, is how hard is it to do these conversions? I was under the impression they are really, REALLY tough but then I see this guy, whoever he is belt them out fairly fast. He went from "here's one I did" to "here's two more to try" to "Ok now I've done ten more, PM me for info" all within a week or so.

Also why are we assuming that someone else, not Fernando (I still don't see where there's proof it's him btw), doing the conversions? He's obviously somewhat clever to get around the new member creation blocks here, and knows how to dump (and apparently burn) both Colecovision and 5200 games.

I'm NOT defending him in any way, shape, or form btw....just seems to be a lot of assumptions being made.

• Like 1

It's definately not easy. Takes some coding skills and knowledge of the hardware. Toughest part is working without documented source code.

There havn't been any assumptions about who did the work. It's possible that 8bitFernandoMariaMajic did some of the coding but I doubt it. It's has been confirmed that the primary conversion work was done by someone else. This guy is just a leach taking advantage of someone elses generosity and love of the hobby.

• Like 5

For early XE games, produced mainly during the life of the 5200, I think most of the work is in adjusting the controls for different controllers and analog vs. digital. There is pretty good documentation on how to do this. Most of the games "8-bit" promoted for those kinds of simple games. Now, the larger more complex games that have been converted in the past by Wrathchild or AtariMax Steve or kenfused, etc., probably require a lot more work. Mainly because the 5200 doesn't have the RAM the 400 or 800 did.

Mainly because the 5200 doesn't have the RAM the 400 or 800 did.

Actually the 5200 technically has more RAM than the Atari 400. They both have the same amount of physical RAM, but there is a chunk that the 5200 can use that the 400 cannot because the 5200 has a much smaller OS.