IGNORED

Ouya Thread

phaxda

• 2 weeks later...

So last night I was on Steam, and noticed that of all things, Riptide GP2 made it there before it made it to Ouya. It's exactly the kind of game I bought my ouya for--a game without a huge budget but one that pushes systems well and provides solid fun. It bothers me that even though the game runs nearly perfectly sideloaded on Ouya, and about all it would take to get it sold there is the time required to get it into the store, it's not there. I even seem to recall the developer saying it was coming.

But, I do highly recommend the Riptide GP2 on steam. It's just fantastic, and takes me back to when racing games had easy to look at graphics, fantastic soundtracks and simple control. Just because a game isn't 'AAA,' doesn't mean it has to look like it's 1988.

Edited by Reaperman

Amazon shows off their new controller for a possible Ouya-like console. It looks uncomfortable to me. It's too squared off like a knock off original xbox controller or Wii controller.

It looks *really* close to the onlive controller. Almost to the point where I wonder if it wasn't crafted by the same hands. Some slightly different styling and placement choices were made, but the overall shape looks very close.

The onlive controller is actually a helluva nice thing to hold and use. Advertised as ultra-low latency too (onlive being very concerned about the subject)

I recall wondering early in Ouya's life, why they just didn't track the guy who made that one down and have him do the ouya controller.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So last night I was on Steam, and noticed that of all things, Riptide GP2 made it there before it made it to Ouya. It's exactly the kind of game I bought my ouya for--a game without a huge budget but one that pushes systems well and provides solid fun. It bothers me that even though the game runs nearly perfectly sideloaded on Ouya, and about all it would take to get it sold there is the time required to get it into the store, it's not there. I even seem to recall the developer saying it was coming.

But, I do highly recommend the Riptide GP2 on steam. It's just fantastic, and takes me back to when racing games had easy to look at graphics, fantastic soundtracks and simple control. Just because a game isn't 'AAA,' doesn't mean it has to look like it's 1988.

Agreed. Riptide 2 is great. Just bought it last week for my tablet and have been playing the hell out of it. I already have the Manta close to maxed out. Best $2 I've spent in a long time!

Some dude at the Flea Market down in Florida was trying to sell OUYA's for $200...why? because they come loaded with movies. Wanna see the latest movie? why go to the theater? We have it here...I walked. I'll get the legit version for $100 at Target without all the crap loaded to his.

• Like 1

Some dude at the Flea Market down in Florida was trying to sell OUYA's for $200...why? because they come loaded with movies. Wanna see the latest movie? why go to the theater? We have it here...I walked. I'll get the legit version for $100 at Target without all the crap loaded to his.

Anyone can load xbmc to an ouya pretty easily. Don't need to spend $100 to have some sorry sod do it for you.

Can anyone give me an answer on the stelladaptor question I raised above?

The funny part is that although many of these games look 15-30 years old, they have modern stereo sound and a 1080p resolution. This kinda reminds me of the fantasy genre, where they are living in 440 AD but have super technology and sorcery.

Edited by White Knight

The funny part is that although many of these games look 15-30 years old, they have modern stereo sound and a 1080p resolution. This kinda reminds me of the fantasy genre, where they are living in 440 AD but have super technology and sorcery.

I think it's funny that they hired an earbud designer to come up with the system, while in the same breath talking about getting the hardware 'right' from the start.

So what does "Ouya" actually mean, anyway? It just seems kind of strange that a company would name their system something unpronounceable to many. I mean, the Wii is a dumb name too that doesn't really mean anything, but at least with that everyone can say it after reading it for the first time. Not so with Ouya.

So what does "Ouya" actually mean, anyway?

My theory is that it's something like the below image as imagined by people who wanted to be cute by adjusting the spelling. Maybe they thought it would appeal to their stereotype of gamers.

At least the name didn't start with a lowercase 'i' as in iCube, iBox or iTV. I really did like the idea of OUYA very much, but after a year it seems to be very well below average in every respect. I haven't turned the thing on since november or so, and really powering it up from july on felt like a chore.

koolaidgood.png

Edited by Reaperman

I like mine a lot and use it frequently. I don't understand the hate it gets. For $100 (I paid $35 for mine, sold stuff on ebay which covered most of it) I have a machine that plays 70% of my collection, does it at 1080p and takes up no space whatsoever and runs XBMC beautifully. This was a no-brainer purchase IMO.

• Like 1

I like mine a lot and use it frequently. I don't understand the hate it gets. For $100 (I paid $35 for mine, sold stuff on ebay which covered most of it) I have a machine that plays 70% of my collection, does it at 1080p and takes up no space whatsoever and runs XBMC beautifully. This was a no-brainer purchase IMO.

I've noticed a trend in that the people who like OUYA use it for emulation and xbmc. I find it hard to believe that it's much good at emulation given its low power, but there are certainly far worse hardware choices out there that people have called perfect (wii and xbox come to mind). XBMC fans seem to love running media apps on the hardware least suited to actually being the center of a decent media setup (probably a holdover from the 'XB' bit). In either case I can see how fans of those might enjoy the thing.

I didn't come for those, though. I came to play all of those pretty android games with a controller. You know the ones--the pretty ones that look like ultra high-rez dreamcast titles and actually push the hardware. If you dig though all the rubbish "8-bit" platformers, there are actually a couple of those, but the wave of quality android games that I expected never came. I still look at smartphone/tablet games with envy, despite owning a console that was supposed to be the definitive way to play them.

Edited by Reaperman

There are definitely two camps and they seem to be divided as you describe - those that love it for it's emulation (which is does well for anything N64/PS1 and prior) and XBMC and those that hate it, expecting it carry a bevy of unique, high quality android exclusives which didn't materialize, for the most part.

• Like 1

Anyone can load xbmc to an ouya pretty easily. Don't need to spend $100 to have some sorry sod do it for you.

Can anyone give me an answer on the stelladaptor question I raised above?

I have a stellaadapter somewhere but I need to search for it and try it out. Not sure where its being sold these days

Ok I tried it out and it works flawlessly except for one problem. In my opinion there is a slight delay so expect games that require quick reflexes (like Megamania or Cosmic Ark) to be even harder to play. I had this issue on PC as well so maybe its just my stella-adapter as other people swore by it on PC. I dont know I never really liked it that much and stuck with other methods on PC.

Anyway to get it to work I plugged it in and the Ouya recognized it right away. You can navigate the menu's with your Atari joystick and then go into 2600.emu and go into settings and detect the joystick. 2600.emu will recognize it as a Stella Adapter. I had to remap my fire button but other than that it worked great. I used the Ouya controller to start the game and navigate difficulty levels etc. and then switched to the Atari Joystick to play.

• Like 1