IGNORED

4 Port or 2 Port?

Illtiger1

So you can't use the coaxial adapters with the four port switch box? The converter gold one you screw into the cable jack in the back of a TV won't work? I use it for my 7800, 2600, and Intellivision and it works great.

Nope. The ridiculous powered switchbox needs to be screwed into the tv antenna jack. 2-port DOES work fine with the coax adapters however.

5200 joysticks are not that hard to refurb yourself if you have some basic fix-it skills. But that is a gamble of course. I've refurbed 4 myself using a pencil eraser, some foil, and some elmers glue, and they all worked "perfectly" (I put that in quotes because even brand-new, 5200 joysticks are not that great).

I don't mean to give off a negative vibe. I do like the 5200. But it is fussy, and it does give you an idea of why Atari fell so hard so fast. As I said, I really disliked my 4-port just because I had to unscrew the normal coax adapter every time AND the image quality stunk. 2-port is much better in those regards.

Edited by RickR

So you can't use the coaxial adapters with the four port switch box? The converter gold one you screw into the cable jack in the back of a TV won't work? I use it for my 7800, 2600, and Intellivision and it works great.

Well you have to use the switch box, you have to, it's connected to the power supply.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread is that relatively few 4-port models are compatible with the VCS adapter. All 2-port models will work with the VCS adapter. If that's an issue for you, then get the 2-port model.

I currently have no need for the VCS adapter as I have a six switch 2600, 7800, and Atari 2600 Jr. that all work fine so that's not really a deal breaker. Appreciate the info though.

Edited by Illtiger1

I think he's saying that he leaves the 4-port switchbox in-place (connected to the TV), and then the coax adapter for other game systems connect to that switchbox. The original intent of a switchbox is to have a "game" and "TV" mode. The 4-port switchbox is auto-sensing -- meaning you don't have to flip a switch....if the 5200 power is off, it uses "TV" mode. I probably was too verbose here. Should have stopped at sentence #1.

Edited by RickR
  • Like 1

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread is that relatively few 4-port models are compatible with the VCS adapter. All 2-port models will work with the VCS adapter. If that's an issue for you, then get the 2-port model.

Oh yeah, ANOTHER thing I don't think was mentioned yet, is that there aren't actually any 4 player games, so I was never certain what you were supposed to do with those two extra ports anyway. You have a port surplus with the 4 port heehee

No. You have to plug the cable attached to the switchbox into the coaxial jack on your TV. You then plug the power/RF cable from the 5200 into the switchbox.

I have an article on my blog (in signature) about buying a 5200, if you're interested.

Nuclear, that is the exact adapter I am referring to. Does the switch box connect to that or does that cable at the top screw into the standard coaxial jack at the back of the TV like old cable box hook up? 21cO025C7WL.jpg

Thanks for reading the blog. Yes, the cable at the top of the switchbox screws into the coaxial jack on the TV. The power/RF cord from the 5200 goes into the jack in the upper right. I don't use the other connections on the switchbox.

I think he's saying that he leaves the 4-port switchbox in-place (connected to the TV), and then the coax adapter for other game systems connect to that switchbox. The original intent of a switchbox is to have a "game" and "TV" mode. The 4-port switchbox is auto-sensing -- meaning you don't have to flip a switch....if the 5200 power is off, it uses "TV" mode. I probably was too verbose here. Should have stopped at sentence #1.

Yes. That is what I do most of the time. On my other TV, I have a coax adaptor already installed and use a coax to phono adaptor on the switchbox lead for quick setup. :)

It beats having to unscrew it each time, though it's not often.

Really bummed out about the 5200. Got it via UPS on time and hooked it up. Got the switch box and everything configured, hit the on/off and no power. Did the usual trouble shooting and still nothing. The power supply is in very shoddy condition with the wiring exposed badly at the base of the plug which of course the eBay seller did not mention. I'm guessing that's the issue or it's the switch box itself. Buyer said no returns, but also said it was in "working" condition which it isn't. Hopefully, I will get it sorted soon and get a working boxed four port.

Open a case if you get no reasonable response from the seller.

If you have a multimeter, you should be able to tell if the power supply is the issue. Just plug the power supply in and put one meter lead on the inside of the connector, and the other on the outer metal part of the connector.

Welcome to the "wonderful" world of 5200 collecting. Where almost every console has issues of one type or another, and every console is fragile. The good news is, once you get one in fully working order, it is pretty fun to play with.

Edited by RickR

Really bummed out about the 5200. Got it via UPS on time and hooked it up. Got the switch box and everything configured, hit the on/off and no power. Did the usual trouble shooting and still nothing. The power supply is in very shoddy condition with the wiring exposed badly at the base of the plug which of course the eBay seller did not mention. I'm guessing that's the issue or it's the switch box itself. Buyer said no returns, but also said it was in "working" condition which it isn't. Hopefully, I will get it sorted soon and get a working boxed four port.

I had to replace the power supply fuse inside mine many years ago. The transformer has to be cut open with a dremel or hack saw. In my 5200 power supply, there was a clear glass fuse soldered inline. My repair was not very graceful and involved jamming a radio shack replacement fuse into place with friction and electrical tape. If your power supply turns out to be dead, it is probably fixable that way. I remember thinking what a shame that Atari was so cheap in making the power blocks disposable. The 1050 disk drive and 400/800 computer power supplies were made the same way. Transformers rarey failed but the fuses could blow and everything was permanently sealed making repair a major pain....but I digress.

Having a bad supply is probably still the best case scenario when compared to internal issues with the console. As RickR suggests, testing with a multimeter is a good idea. Normal output will probably read anywhere from 10 to 11 volts dc under no load. I found a good youtube video by RetroGam3Nerd on the subject:

• Like 1

If the PS supply is bad, you can still buy new ones online, they aren't that expensive. I think I bought an official Atari replacement for $10 a few years ago. My original PS had a blown fuse in it, which I replaced, but as mentioned, it requires quite alot of work to open up the heat sealed casing, and it's not a matter of just popping out the fuse and slapping a new one in, it takes your own modding or soldering skills. So, the blown fuse thing is fairly common with this machine, but the good news is you can buy a new PS cheaply. I told you before you should be prepared to spend money on the 5200!

My power supply has 4 screws under the rubber feet and opens easily. The first version parts were made that way. Also, be sure it is the correct power supply as the 400/800 one will damage the system. I've seen many 5200's that were sold as non-working that came with the 400/800 part.