IGNORED

Sonic the Hedgehog AKA Zippy the Porcupine Demo

Sprybug

Is there thought of this being put on a Sega cart when released?

Yes, because we all know Atari carts play great on Sega systems. I think they even made an Atari adapter for Genesis. Oh, wait, that was Sega Master System. :ponder:

At least you can use a Genesis controller with the Atari if you like. :cool:

Yes, because we all know Atari carts play great on Sega systems. I think they even made an Atari adapter for Genesis. Oh, wait, that was Sega Master System. :ponder:

At least you can use a Genesis controller with the Atari if you like. :cool:

Yeah, I was referring to the cartridge style Sega did when they made games for the 2600. I will have to fix our Genesis controller before then to play it with this, though!! I still need to get a NES controller to modify for using that to play Princess Rescue :rolling:

Yeah, I was referring to the cartridge style Sega did when they made games for the 2600. I will have to fix our Genesis controller before then to play it with this, though!! I still need to get a NES controller to modify for using that to play Princess Rescue :rolling:

You don't need to "fix" the Sega controller as it should already work assuming it's of the 3-button variety. Six-button Genesis controllers can be made compatible using a reverse-bias diode between the Genesis VCC and Select lines. To make the NES controller compatible with Princess Rescue, just direct wire the plus pad (joystick) and "A" button (fire) between ground and their respective Atari pins. The "B" button connects to the Paddle line with a pull up resistor from VCC to hold it high until it is pressed for second button operation. This would sever the same function as the "C" button on the Genny for Princess Rescue and other homebrew use.

In fact, since the 10k pull-up resistors are already included on the PCB, the 4021 chip can be de-soldered from the NES PCB, and use a 9-pin serial cable or Genesis extension cable to wire directly onto the through holes from the removed 4021 IC. IMO even though the mod is easy to pull of, it's still a lot of work just to mod an NES controller to work with one Atari homebrew game (Princess Rescue), especially since a stock unmodded 3-button genesis controller is cheaply obtainable and will work just fine. I don't believe Zippy utilizes the "C" button on Genesis controllers, although I could be wrong. Genesis is the proper controller to use for Sonic Zippy anyway.

Edited by stardust4ever

You don't need to "fix" the Sega controller as it should already work assuming it's of the 3-button variety. Six-button Genesis controllers can be made compatible using a reverse-bias diode between the Genesis VCC and Select lines. To make the NES controller compatible with Princess Rescue, just direct wire the plus pad (joystick) and "A" button (fire) between ground and their respective Atari pins. The "B" button connects to the Paddle line with a pull up resistor from VCC to hold it high until it is pressed for second button operation. This would sever the same function as the "C" button on the Genny for Princess Rescue and other homebrew use.

In fact, since the 10k pull-up resistors are already included on the PCB, the 4021 chip can be de-soldered from the NES PCB, and use a 9-pin serial cable or Genesis extension cable to wire directly onto the through holes from the removed 4021 IC. IMO even though the mod is easy to pull of, it's still a lot of work just to mod an NES controller to work with one Atari homebrew game (Princess Rescue), especially since a stock unmodded 3-button genesis controller is cheaply obtainable and will work just fine. I don't believe Zippy utilizes the "C" button on Genesis controllers, although I could be wrong. Genesis is the proper controller to use for Sonic Zippy anyway.

Yep, I know what you're saying about the genesis controller just working. But, the one we have laying around is non-functional. That's what I meant about "fixing" it. Might just need a cleaning -haven't gone through it yet.

Much appreciated about the info on the NES controller, though. It may be trivial, and nothing really spectacular ly worthwhile, but it will be a fun little project and it will definitely help me in continuing to build upon my electronics knowledge. Your info will be very helpful. Thanks!

Edited by rasch_C

• 4 weeks later...

He's a great guy but I suspect usually a lurker. I was that way for the first year or so of my membership here. Not a sign of anything untoward :)

Everyone needs to remember also that it is Xmas time. This is usually a busy time for most of us. I know I've been extremely busy this year.

• Like 1

For the record, Sprybug "disappeared" last year about this time as well.

Yeah, I tend to get busy about this time of year.

I had some work that came my way that took #1 priority over everything, even working on Zippy.

For those interested, Machinima contacted me last November and wanted me to direct, design, and animate their latest web series based on League of Legends called (for now) "Minion Escape".

I just finished up the "flashamatic" a few days ago and got it approved, so now I just have to finish animating it. I'll have a post about it somewhere around here when it's finished. It'll be my directorial debut for a project that wasn't mine to start with. They created, wrote, and did the audio. it was up to me to do everything else.

This weekend I do plan to get back on Zippy. It'll be the first time I would have touched it in about a month. I'll probably have to get familiar with a few things about it again before I can really get going again. I remember that I just had 3 levels to finish, the final battle to finish, a continue and game ending routines to do, and finish up all the map stuff. Then after that finish debugging the whole thing.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...