IGNORED

Sonic the Hedgehog AKA Zippy the Porcupine Demo

Sprybug

AA already got a nasty letter about your avatar! :-o

I realise this is a joke but sadly it could be true. With some c&ds they do bother to list urls of offending material. It's sounds loony but stardust4evers avatar really could have been listed. The terms could have been broad enough to include all Nintendo property including any depictions of characters in any part of AtariAge. Unfortunately, it seems one has to shut the fsck up before, during and after a c&d. We'll never know.

Zippy update since it seems that at least one person wants to know:

All levels are finished and tested

Wrote the continue routines last weekend, but have yet to test.

Implemented the world map routines with the rest of the game and was able to go about the map and go from each level within it and go to the correct boss battle when landing on Robotnik after finishing the stage

Next I'll be testing the continuation routine, but you have to have at least one gem to continue, so I may just program starting with one so I can see if it works for now.

Then after that will be programming the final battle and the end sequences. I only have about 2k left for all of this, so I hope I can squeeze it all in.

After that, I'll be cleaning up some code and fixing a few known bugs, like one where for no reason at all and only sometimes, zippy will fall through the floor and die at the beginning of a boss battle.

Then after that will be beta testing, where I'll need some of you lovely people to test it and report back to me so I can fix stuff that I don't even know about!

• Like 8

No no, the avatar is not RoHS compliant. :-o

Why, the avatar is just an image, and there's no lead in the sculpture pictured therein, just spray paint, superglue, and lots of cubes (dice). :P

I'm pretty sure we've both inadvertently huffed enough burnt electronics fumes over the years RoHS compliance wont save us :P

Yeah, huffing 40/60 solder fumes is awesome. Honestly I believe the dangers of lead poisoning from electronics (or mercury vapours from CFL bulbs) is grossly overstated. When their done banning lead solder and incandescent light bulbs, CFL will be next, then everything will be LED. Oh wait, those have toxic chemicals too. :woozy:

Edited by stardust4ever

Zippy update since it seems that at least one person wants to know:

All levels are finished and tested

Wrote the continue routines last weekend, but have yet to test.

Implemented the world map routines with the rest of the game and was able to go about the map and go from each level within it and go to the correct boss battle when landing on Robotnik after finishing the stage

Next I'll be testing the continuation routine, but you have to have at least one gem to continue, so I may just program starting with one so I can see if it works for now.

Then after that will be programming the final battle and the end sequences. I only have about 2k left for all of this, so I hope I can squeeze it all in.

After that, I'll be cleaning up some code and fixing a few known bugs, like one where for no reason at all and only sometimes, zippy will fall through the floor and die at the beginning of a boss battle.

Then after that will be beta testing, where I'll need some of you lovely people to test it and report back to me so I can fix stuff that I don't even know about!

Great job Sprybug! I hope you at least consider infinite continues as with Princess Rescue, as some of the stages in the demo were pretty tough. It will also give the old hats playing the game on real hardware without save states an excuse to leave their Ataris running indefinitely :P

Alternately, if the game features a world map, it would enhance the replay value to allow gamers to attempt the zones in any order like in some modern incantations.

Edited by stardust4ever

Great job Sprybug! I hope you at least consider infinite continues as with Princess Rescue, as some of the stages in the demo were pretty tough. It will also give the old hats playing the game on real hardware without save states an excuse to leave their Ataris running indefinitely :P

Alternately, if the game features a world map, it would enhance the replay value to allow gamers to attempt the zones in any order like in some modern incantations.

Thanks for the input, but I'm going to have to disagree on this. If you have infinite continues, then why bother having lives if you continue where you leave off? It takes away from the challenge of the game if you can play it and no matter how many times you die, you can beat it without the risk of having to start over again. You play, you learn, you get better at it and then it's more rewarding when you do beat it because you go through all the trials to get there. With this, you at least have the ability to the continue if you have at least 1 of the 5 gems in your inventory. To continue, it just costs you one gem, and if you don't have one, sorry, but you got to start over again. I originally was going to have it so not only would it cost you a gem, but Robotnik would also erase some of your progress as well on the world map, but I am having trouble getting that to implement without using too much more limited code space. I may just take away one level of progress (the level that he ends up landing on when moving, so you don't just have the possibility of moving over there and battling him right away again).

How the world map works is, that in the intro you watch Robotnik steal all 5 gems from various levels on the map, and then he comes back on one of the rows. Whichever row he starts on (it's random), is the level you're going to star on. So if he lands in the Star zone row at first, you'll start on Star Zone 1. Then after you beat that level, it'll be marked with a pixel next to it and you can go to any one of the adjacent levels from there. So if you beat Star Zone 2 for example, from that point you can go to Cave Zone 2, Star Zone 1, Star Zone 3, or Aqua Zone 2. Any level marked as completed, you will have that option. Of course you'll want to take the route shortest to get to Robotnik. When you land on Robotnik and if that level hasn't been beaten yet, you have to beat the level first. Then you battle Robotnik (you'll battle Robotnik directly if you've already beaten that level). If you are defeated or if you defeat Robotnik, he'll panic and move to another part of the map and then you have to go along your way going through levels again to get there. You get a gem when you defeat Robotnik. If you have 4 gems and you battle Robotnik again, you will go into the final battle at a chance to get that last gem. If you do it, you beat the game.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input, but I'm going to have to disagree on this. If you have infinite continues, then why bother having lives if you continue where you leave off? It takes away from the challenge of the game if you can play it and no matter how many times you die, you can beat it without the risk of having to start over again. You play, you learn, you get better at it and then it's more rewarding when you do beat it because you go through all the trials to get there. With this, you at least have the ability to the continue if you have at least 1 of the 5 gems in your inventory. To continue, it just costs you one gem, and if you don't have one, sorry, but you got to start over again. I originally was going to have it so not only would it cost you a gem, but Robotnik would also erase some of your progress as well on the world map, but I am having trouble getting that to implement without using too much more limited code space. I may just take away one level of progress (the level that he ends up landing on when moving, so you don't just have the possibility of moving over there and battling him right away again).

How the world map works is, that in the intro you watch Robotnik steal all 5 gems from various levels on the map, and then he comes back on one of the rows. Whichever row he starts on (it's random), is the level you're going to star on. So if he lands in the Star zone row at first, you'll start on Star Zone 1. Then after you beat that level, it'll be marked with a pixel next to it and you can go to any one of the adjacent levels from there. So if you beat Star Zone 2 for example, from that point you can go to Cave Zone 2, Star Zone 1, Star Zone 3, or Aqua Zone 2. Any level marked as completed, you will have that option. Of course you'll want to take the route shortest to get to Robotnik. When you land on Robotnik and if that level hasn't been beaten yet, you have to beat the level first. Then you battle Robotnik (you'll battle Robotnik directly if you've already beaten that level). If you are defeated or if you defeat Robotnik, he'll panic and move to another part of the map and then you have to go along your way going through levels again to get there. You get a gem when you defeat Robotnik. If you have 4 gems and you battle Robotnik again, you will go into the final battle at a chance to get that last gem. If you do it, you beat the game.

As long as I have options to attempt different zones, I'm happy. I'm not quite as good with Sonic as I am with Mario, but opening up the zones on the world map will definitely add replay value whether there are infinite continues or not. It sounds complicated the way you describe it, but maybe it will make better sense when we actually get to see the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I did say once the pilot of my first directed animation with Machinima was released, I'd let you guys know about it. Here ya go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCqqFDmKrrU

As for Zippy, I'm wrapping up the ending sequences, and then I get to go back and try to fix up some bugs I know exist and then after that it's beta testing time!

• Like 1

Well, I did say once the pilot of my first directed animation with Machinima was released, I'd let you guys know about it. Here ya go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCqqFDmKrrU

As for Zippy, I'm wrapping up the ending sequences, and then I get to go back and try to fix up some bugs I know exist and then after that it's beta testing time!

Lookin' sweet Spry. Unfortunately my fiance is sleeping so I had to watch with the audio on mute. Looks pretty good and I think the "flash style" animation works well here. I like the Farmer and his Dog. Also, it appears the rock monster was loosely inspired by a Pokemon character!

Glad to hear Zippy is coming along well! ;)

lol. Someone made a horrible flash game with unplayable physics based on my Zippy demo.....ALREADY.

http://www.sploder.com/games/members/funkytoots/play/zippy-the-porcupine/

That's just lame. Is it a java/flash 2600 emulator? I'm on Wii-U browser right now so flash doesn't work.

Dem pirates! :ahoy: Don't let crap like this discourage you; your games are awesome!!!

Edited by stardust4ever

That's just lame. Is it a java/flash 2600 emulator? I'm on Wii-U browser right now so flash doesn't work.

Dem pirates! :ahoy: Don't let crap like this discourage you; your games are awesome!!!

I'm not sure, try it and find out.

Nothing can really discourage me from working on this. I mean, I lived through the 1-up island experience. ;)

• Like 1

1-UP Island?

http://www.1up-island.com/8140/prge-zippy-the-porcupine-the-sonic-the-hedgehog-atari-2600-clone

The flash game is a lazy physics puzzler, apparently made in one of those "make your own game without writing any code" tools, that seems to have just stolen Sprybug's title screen and game name. The second level might have nicked some of the playfield, but I don't think the sprites are ripped off; they look too hi-res. I'd probably still send a takedown notice just because it sucks.

But why knock off a "knock off"? Seriously some people are so lame and unimaginative, it's pathetic!

Here's a few I came up with in ten seconds:

Mazzio the Mustached Mechanic. (Mario)

Bob the Barrel Basher. Amos and the Angry Ape. (DK)

Mach 3 Groundhog. (Sonic)

Communist Block. (Tetris)

Pill popper. (Dr Mario)

Edited by stardust4ever