IGNORED

What are some cheap consoles to get a complete collection for?

I wanna know what are some consoles that you can get a complete collection for cheap(Max 2-3K and less)?.

I know from my research:

Sega SG-1000( 1510 with boxed console and all boxed games)

Action Max(only four games for it)

Game.com(All the games sealed are on Ebay for less than $10 except Scrabble(17), monopoly(17), Duke Nukem(25-30) and WOF 2 which is the hardest to get a hold of)

Supergrafx(only 4 games)

Virtual boy

and the 32X

any consoles I missed and are cheap to get a complete collection?

The Jaguar isn't too bad if you limit "completeness" to the games released during it's commercial life. 60 something games, I think. The most expensive titles were released after the console's death.

Game Boy Color is not impossible. There's a ton of titles, but nowhere near as much demand as other retro Nintendo systems (aside from Virtual Boy).

Also, go buy a Xavix Port direct from their website immediately! They are liquidating their stock and every game can be had (minus bassfishing) in a $50 bundle and $75 bundle. You'd even end up with a spare console. http://www.xavixstore.com/, click where it says special sales.

Dreamcast MIGHT be doable under 2 to $3k. The problem with it is, despite there being over 200 games, I rarely see anything other than the uber-commons in the wild (the sports games, Crazy Taxi, maybe Tony Hawk). I have had to resort to eBay and places like eStarland for my collection.

Virtual Boy is a bit deceptive... hardware is getting harder and harder to find in good condition, and the US games are dirt cheap, but some of the Japanese ones are crazy rare. Still, if you can steel yourself for two or three big purchases, you'll get it all.

Action Max(only four games for it)

There are 5 games, and naturally that last one can be considerably more expensive. Still it's the least expensive full collection I can think of. Even if you went all 'buy it now' you'd probably be looking under $150. Half of that if you go for auctions. Even a full set of 'Game Wizard' carts would cost more.

Edited by Reaperman

It should be easy to acquire a magnavox odyssey 2 complete collection I think.

I agree. As long as you limit yourself to original U.S. releases.

If you add foreign releases or home brews, it will become expensive.

For whatever reason, prices on most Odyssey 2 stuff are much lower now than they were in the late 90s. Master Strategy Series games and the Voice module were going for much more back then then they are now.

U.S. only, for simplicity's sake:

Odyssey 2

RCA Studio II (excluding Bingo)

Fairchild Channel F

Aquarius

TRS-80 MC10

APF M/P1000 (excluding Imagination Machine)

Atari 5200 (excluding homebrews/8-bit ports)

These systems had relatively few games/titles released for them and should more than completable within 2-3K. You could probably knock out the RCA, for instance, in one sitting for $400 or less.

Would that be how many games were made for the Tandy/Memorex thing, C128 in 128 mode or Commodore Plus/4? :lol:

Plus/4 huh? Best of luck with that.

http://plus4world.powweb.com/games

U.S. only, for simplicity's sake:

Odyssey 2

RCA Studio II (excluding Bingo)

Fairchild Channel F

Aquarius

TRS-80 MC10

APF M/P1000 (excluding Imagination Machine)

Atari 5200 (excluding homebrews/8-bit ports)

These systems had relatively few games/titles released for them and should more than completable within 2-3K. You could probably knock out the RCA, for instance, in one sitting for $400 or less.

Last I looked at the Odyssey 2 some bonehead on ebay was trying to corner the market on it and would buy everything priced less than what he was selling it for. It has some fun games that are unique to it so it might be worthwhile for someone to collect.

I've never seen an RCA Studio 2 and should probably be grateful from what I hear. I don't know much about it.k

I don't see a lot of Channel F's around or it's games.

Aquarius wouldn't be bad to get a complete collection but several titles are common and some I've never seen. I have an Aquarius I'd happily part with btw.

The MC-10 only had something like 4 tapes released for it by Tandy and the machines are almost always on ebay. The most difficult thing to find would be the RAM expander. It has some rabbid followers on the yahoo group that release new BASIC titles almost every week, all of which are free to download. It's one of my favorite machines to tinker with.

The APF might be tough due to it's rarity.

The 5200 shouldn't be too bad. There are a reasonable number of titles and I've seen most of them for sale on a regular basis. It does have new home brews coming out for it so it's also fun to play.

One not on that list, the Bally Astrocade doesn't have a huge number of titles but some are very difficult to come by. You'd be able to buy 90% of the titles easily and the last 10% would be pay through the nose or luck.

What is the point of collecting something if it is crap? You could collect all the game.com stuff and you would have a bunch of crap. I got a game.com and some games off ebay and after about ten minutes decided to heck with this system, it is crap.

What good is a collection if you dont want to play it? I never understood any other mindset.

• Like 2

What is the point of collecting something if it is crap? You could collect all the game.com stuff and you would have a bunch of crap. I got a game.com and some games off ebay and after about ten minutes decided to heck with this system, it is crap.

What good is a collection if you dont want to play it? I never understood any other mindset.

Agreed. A system with few games and that is going cheap will most likely be crap. The possible exception is Vectrex but that may not be cheap if you want CIB and EVERY GAME. Most systems have a few games that are out of proportion to the rest of the library.

I'm thinking the Sega Master System would be fun to collect but hunting down all ~150 games will be tough. I prefer to collect best of libraries rather than complete ones. My Atari library will cap at about 50 including homebrews and my NES may be less. I'm collecting stuff I will play and be proud to show off to friends and family. No Custer's Revenge or Stadium Events but instead the games that show each system at it's best.

• Like 1

Agreed. A system with few games and that is going cheap will most likely be crap. The possible exception is Vectrex but that may not be cheap if you want CIB and EVERY GAME. Most systems have a few games that are out of proportion to the rest of the library.

I'm thinking the Sega Master System would be fun to collect but hunting down all ~150 games will be tough. I prefer to collect best of libraries rather than complete ones. My Atari library will cap at about 50 including homebrews and my NES may be less. I'm collecting stuff I will play and be proud to show off to friends and family. No Custer's Revenge or Stadium Events but instead the games that show each system at it's best.

Well i'm a sucker for obscure consoles and when I see one I must get it.I'm also the type of person who gets the opposite of everybody else.You get a Vectrex, I get a Adventurevision, you get a Famicom, I get a Famicom Titler, you get a 2600, I get a 2800 and that's because I like all consoles. The only console that I can honestly say that is terrible is the R-zone because LCD games are just not my type, other than that I like the other ones. Yes I like the Game.com, Ngage, Supervision, odyssey, CD-I, Playdia, Pippin, 32X, etc and I believe they should not be the forgotten consoles of gaming.

No as for getting the complete sets, the consoles that I have on my list all have a small library of games but also some pretty good games(aside from the Game.com which only like 5 games I can stand).The Supergrafx only has 5 games 1941: Counter Attack,Aldynes,Battle Ace,Ghouls And Ghosts and Mado king Granzort and are all pretty good especially Ghouls And Ghosts. The 32X has some good games(Kolibri, Spider-man Star Wars Arcade), the Philips CD-I has some good games the Astrocade has some real fun games and the Odyssey has some charm to it as the first console.So these complete set games will very well get played probably more than I think I will

Edited by xDragonWarrior

FWIW I have wanted an Astrocade since they first came out. Every time I bid on one someone crawls out of the woodwork to run the price up.

I already have something like 8 boxed games for it.

It's really too bad Bally didn't attract 3rd party developers to it from the start.