IGNORED

TALES FROM THE GAME ROOM 09: FIGHTERS MEGAMiX

In the end, the bottom line is that Sega gave us a lot of great games...and for that I am eternally grateful, and a die-hard fan. When game companies compete, we ALL win.

- Ash

Damn right Ash!

I miss Sega as a hardware manufacturer terribly.

The Genesis was a huge success for Sega and the Dreamcast was a phenomenal system that deserved a better fate.

Thanks to the Sega CD we got those wonderful JRPG translations (such as the ones Working Designs did) and Sega really helped raise the bar on the Sports titles we were getting.

• Like 1

Right on, Dragonstomper! I am so grateful for Sega and all that they have given us! This is one of the reasons why I chose their Saturn console for my next set of reviews...

Sega Genesis gave us so many great games like Sonic, Shining Force, and The Desert Strike series.

Sega CD gave us Shining Force CD, Working Design games, and the reason why we now have a Video Games Rating System

Sega Dreamcast went before it's time, but was one of the first systems to include a model. I actually have the karaoke add-on from Japan CIB,,,

The Saturn, in my opinion, was better than the PS1...and if given the right opportunities at the time, could have given Sony a fight...especially with Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3, and Burning Rangers...great stuff!

- Ash

Spacewar wasnt the first Videogame. I know at least two games which came ealier. One was Tennis for Two (1958), the other was OXO (1952). And you also forget a complete generation of consoles if you say it started with Atari, what about the 1st console gen? Coleco Telstar for example, so its not right to say Coleco joined the marked late, they just joined the 2nd generation late, but who could know about the crash in 1983?

Edited by Ignorama

Ignorama: There were a ton of systems out there before Atari, but the video game phenomena did not happen until the Atari 2600 broke into the market. Before Atari 2600, you either needed an entire room of old reel computers to play Space War, or you had a Telstar to play 10 variations of Pong on.....B O R I N G !!!

Atari came out and smashed that myth by offering name games from a name arcade company on cartridges so that all you needed was the one system. They changed the rules, and by doing so, they set a new bar that the systems before it could not accomplish in the same way. Hell, my cousin had a Channel F, another console that came out in the 70's, and he hated it because my Atari 2600 had the KNOWN GAMES that people were pumping quarters into at the arcade, like Night Rider, Space Invaders, and Missle Command.

Atari may not have been the first, but it was the first to set the standard for others to follow...

- Ash

Ignorama: There were a ton of systems out there before Atari, but the video game phenomena did not happen until the Atari 2600 broke into the market. Before Atari 2600, you either needed an entire room of old reel computers to play Space War, or you had a Telstar to play 10 variations of Pong on.....B O R I N G !!!

Atari came out and smashed that myth by offering name games from a name arcade company on cartridges so that all you needed was the one system. They changed the rules, and by doing so, they set a new bar that the systems before it could not accomplish in the same way. Hell, my cousin had a Channel F, another console that came out in the 70's, and he hated it because my Atari 2600 had the KNOWN GAMES that people were pumping quarters into at the arcade, like Night Rider, Space Invaders, and Missle Command.

Atari may not have been the first, but it was the first to set the standard for others to follow...

- Ash

OK, all this talk of some "Atari" thing is pushing this thread waaaay out of topic. None of it belongs on this site. You should look for some web site specific to that Atari you keep talking about.

We all know that there was nothing before the Intellivision, so there. :P

:lol:

Edited by DZ-Jay

DZ: People are talking and the Intellivision is a part of the conversation here!

Now, while I can appreciate your wanting to somehow keep this forum pure, no one is forcing you to read what is here. With all of the "bacon" threads I see of yours that have absolutely nothing about Intellivision, I simply do not understand why you feel that your off-topic threads are somehow the exception to the rule out here, and what gives you the right to be the Intellivision police out here...

Let people talk. If you do not like the conversation, simply choose not to read or contribute. It is as simple as that...

Thank you.

- Ash

• Like 2

I am sorry Ash, but in my opinion your knowledge about the gaming history is a bit distorted. You are mixing different themes, you are ignoring the real pioneers, its kind of disrespecful in my opinion. And you should check your facts again, its a bit strange to call Spacewar the first videogame, which was released 10 years after OXO.

By the way, I am afraid you misunderstood DZ Jays post. He said Atari do not belong to ATARI Age. It was ment in a funny way. But its also right that its kind of off topic in this subforum. As you surely recognize I like many systems and I also like to talk about them, but I'll normally do that in general boards. Going to a Intellivision Forum and explaining why Sega and Atari are great is displaced somehow.

Ignorama, I understand what you are saying, but I am talking about Atari being the system that put the home gaming console in every home. YES, there were many video games and many more video game attempts. But in the early 80's, if you wanted to play Space Invaders, you either plunked quarter after quarter into the local arcade cabinet, or you went out and bought an Atari 2600.

I do not recall XOX being widely released in cartridge based home systems...lol.

Believe me, I recognize the pioneers out there and acknowledge their accomplishments, but it was Atari and their VCS that put video games in every living room, and in the late 70's, it was the system that everyone wanted under the Christmas tree!

Because of Atari, Mattel threw their hat into the ring. Because of systems like Atari 2600, Mattel Intellivision, and Coleco's Colecovision, the path was set for companies like Nintendo and Sega...it is all interconnected, not displaced...

- Ash

• Like 1

DZ: People are talking and the Intellivision is a part of the conversation here!

Now, while I can appreciate your wanting to somehow keep this forum pure, no one is forcing you to read what is here. With all of the "bacon" threads I see of yours that have absolutely nothing about Intellivision, I simply do not understand why you feel that your off-topic threads are somehow the exception to the rule out here, and what gives you the right to be the Intellivision police out here...

Let people talk. If you do not like the conversation, simply choose not to read or contribute. It is as simple as that...

Thank you.

- Ash

Hmmm... let me try this again...

< JOKE >

OK, all this talk of some "Atari" thing is pushing this thread waaaay out of topic. None of it belongs on this site. You should look for some web site specific to that Atari you keep talking about.

We all know that there was nothing before the Intellivision, so there.

</ JOKE >

Sorry for not making it clear before... I thought the smilies would give it away. :dunce:

I do not recall XOX being widely released in cartridge based home systems...lol.

Its really a question, because I dont know it: Was Spacewar widely released on cart based systems? But even if, OXO is still the first known computer game of the world, doesnt matter what you think about it personally.

And since when is success a argument? I never said something against Atari as the most successful system, but it also doenst matter if we talk about the birth of videogame consoles. Yes, Atari was the most successful company back then... and now? They didnt made the first game, they didnt made the first console, they just hit the market which was explored by other companys.

And whats this Space Invaders? I youtubed it and it looks like a bad Space Armada clone :lol:

@Tales from the Game Room / Ash

Welcome to atariage, :-D you will get use to it but just a little friendly advice, you will go round and round with some people here who are sticklers for details or their own view / take on things etc. Sometimes just better to let it rest otherwise you will keep going round and round and round. Not saying there is anything wrong with that but just a friendly heads up. Of course if you actually enjoy that aspect of forum discussion that by all means engage lol. ;)

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

DZ, no worries hon...I did not notice the smileys. I am operating on very little sleep and had to be in Boston to cover The Boston Comic Con, which was AWESOME! I got to interview both Dean O'gorman and Aiden Turner, who plugged my radio show too...both great guys and awesome interviews!

Ignorama, I understand what you are saying, but as long as people are talking...who cares? Why are some people hellbent and over protective of a forum? Speaking for myself, and hopefully some others, I would rather be a part of a forum where all systems are being discussed, rather than no one speaking at all. If people are talking, then the forum is a success. All video game systems are interconnected at the deepest and most simplistic level, and we as gamers can never forget that, or everything we have strived for as gamers means nothing...

In the simplest terms...let's just chat and have fun with this. It is not life and death, it is video games...lol...

• Like 1

Seriously, I wonder how long I could post SNES reviews in an Atari area til these mean "sticklers" will show up and tell me "not the place for posting this" :P

Not very long at all I imagine which was one of my points. I KNOW how people are about things being posted in the proper section thus my earlier warnings. I think it is pretty simple, post about a specific system if their is a specific area for it, if there is not then simply post in CLASSIC GAMING GENERAL, then everyone is satisfied and nobody needs to whine/bitch etc. Not sure why this has been so difficult lol.

And I also think its not wrong to correct wrong details in a discussion, but that are just my two cent.

a lot of these so called "Correct details" seem to be more about what one person thinks qualifies as correct and what matters being different from what the other person considers to be correct, little details that can and are perceived different depeding on everything from ones location to ones personal experience and history in gaming and ones own priorities, neither of you are likely to budge from your viewpoint hence my suggestion it should either be dropped or continue going round and round and round. Not arguing who is technically right or wrong just that it is pointless and really in the end will not change the world either way lol. I am SURE you will disagree ;)

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

You are not wrong at all, in many cases you are completely right, but just one example: There is no question that Spacewar wasnt the first videogame ;) Thats not a question of your point of view. Some other points are not that clear, thats right.

@ Ash

Why are some people hellbent and over protective of a forum? Speaking for myself, and hopefully some others, I would rather be a part of a forum where all systems are being discussed, rather than no one speaking at all.

There are MANY boards in the world wide web for discussing about general gaming and just a few Intellivision boards. Even AtariAge has general gaming sections (which was said to you several times), so its absolutely not neccessary to put general gaming discussions in this sub forum. I am not just a fan of the Intellivision, I owned more then 25 different systems,but this place here is for talking about the Intellivision (and Aquarius), dont know why we need to discuss about that fact. If you talk about the rivals like Atari and Coleco no one would say anything, but this controversial was started by posting two Saturn reviews and nearly every user who commented it told you thats better to post this stuff not here.

This board was not dead before this discussion about Saturn und Co started, it was filled with Intellivision related life. Its easy to explain why some people (like me) want to protect this forum, because its something special, its awesome for every Intellivision-Fan of the world. Allowing discussions about Saturn and so on would make this board to normal retro board, nothing worthwhile.

I am not in the position to forbit anything here, but I hope you stop posting stuff like your Saturn reviews here. I know we came far away from that point, but in fact its everything what I want :D

Edited by Ignorama

For what it's worth, here are my thoughts on it.

I'm not militant on keeping the forum on-topic, not really. I really wish that all posts in the Intellivision & Aquarius forum were Intellivision-related, but I understand that once in a while someone may post a new topic that he or she feels is of some interest to the Intellivision community. Case in point, the "bacon" thread, which came from an inside joke amongst some members.

However, the reason I singled out your topic, was because it is not only not Intellivision-related, but it is related to a console that has its own dedicated following. As I'm sure you know, every game console has its tribal tendencies. This means that, not only are Intellivision enthusiasts "inconvenienced" (as inconvenienced as one may get with such a thing) with an out-of-topic thread, but there is a chance that those who would be much interested in the thread will never be exposed to it.

It's like missing your audience completely.

All that said, once the topic has been created, it harms nor inconveniences anyone any more, whether it has one post or one million. Consider the "Song Game," in which I too participate. It has absolutely no place in the Intellivision forum, other than to engage the enthusiasts and build community by playing together. However, it was already there, and I found it to be fun.

I'm sure that if those sort of threads started popping up more often, people would start complaining--but once is harmless, I'm sure.

Not to speak for him, but I think what concerned Ignorama (and certainly concerned me), was that it seemed you were about to produce a regular non-Intellivision content feature on this forum, which may not be welcomed, as good as your intentions were.

As for my posts, you are right, a lot of them are fluff and stupid jokes (like the Atari one in this thread). That's what I do when enjoying myself as a member of this community. I don't do it to annoy people, but to keep a sense of levity in an otherwise dry medium. I also try to balance them by providing insightful comments, and participating in discussions that have some gravitas--at least for the Intellivision enthusiast community.

I wouldn't consider myself a prominent member of this community, certainly not one with the right or authority to attempt to police it, so I apologize if my post came across that way.

We're all here to have fun and enjoy our company. :)

Cheers!

-dZ.

• Like 1

I agree that the Saturn review was not Intellivision related. I only posted it here because I had fans of my reviews that had suggested I try other systems, so I did not wish to leave those people out of the loop. In fact, there are a couple of people on this very thread who stated that they enjoyed the reviews...so it is not all posts about negativity...there are some positives here too.

All of the discussions afterwards are about video games in general, which do include Intellivision, which is why I continued to be a part of the discussion. I love video game talk and I love how people out here share that same passion. When the origins of video games become discussion, the Intellivision is automatically a part of that discussion because they are, in my opinion, one of the pioneers of the video game world...

- Ash

Hello,

I agree with Ignorama and DZ, this topic should have been posted somewhere else and not in the Intellivision thread.

Continuously posting off topic threads here might be seen as spamming.

Perhaps it is because you are new to forums (I am also relatively new here) but this is a similar situation as when you deliberately derailed some earlier threads announcing the first reviews of Intellivision. In that situation it was recommended to start a new thread as your topic was Intellivision-related.

For your Saturn reviews, you should start a thread in the place allocated for Sega / other classic gaming threads.

If you want to promote your programme you could add a link to it in your profile and/or add a little message in your automated signature. Something like "Classic Gaming Reviews in Tales of the Gameroom" and a link to your youtube channel. This will be non-obtrusive and may give the promotion that you are looking for each time you post.

Cheers,

Oscar

Edited by Oscar G.
  • Like 1

Oscar, while I welcome all advice, I would not call what I do as "deliberately derailing"...that really comes off as a very insensitive way of describing my actions. My actions may have been unintentional or even somewhat offensive to some, but I assure you that there are some people out here in the Intellivision room that have asked me to cover other consoles, and no one mentioned anything about posting those reviews in a different forum...it was people here as Intellivision was the primary focus of my reviews, and Intellivision games were the first 7 reviews i did...

I have already posted both Sega Saturn reviews in a new thread in a Sega related forum [i actually created the thread] so while I do understand some of the frustrations by a few people, I would not say that many on this forum are standing behind you nor would I boast that I am "deliberately derailing" anything. I am simply a lover of many gaming systems and am trying to accommodate the requests that I am asked to do...nothing more, nothing less. I have no desire to disrupt or derail anyone's forum and I have not put a gun to anyone's head and forced them to reply to this thread...people are doing it all on their own.

This forum pertains to Intellivision and Intellivision related topics, and my podcast show, as well as the "Tales from the Game Room" segment that I created and air, touch base on those topics from time to time. Just because every other word out of my mouth on my show is not "Intellivision" does not mean that I am being "obtrusive" or that I have somehow become the enemy. In fact, I am quite the opposite.

I find it somewhat saddening that as long as my reviews specifically deal with Intellivision, that I will be somehow branded by these really mean terms. I was there when the first Intellivisions rolled off of the assembly line, I remember when the Intellivision was the new toy in town, and I still have my Intellivision II from Christmas Eve 1983 hooked up to my television since that night...not many can make that same boast!

Let's all get along here already. It is one thing to ask me not to post Sega-related material out here. But it is another thing all together when people start throwing out accusations about me and begin using hateful words to describe my intentions. Yes, I love the Intellivision, but not enough to throw someone under a bus for...

- Ash

Now I get what Oldschool means by "round and round and round and round" :lol: MANY people are saying "please post it somewhere else", many people also try to help with advices where this stuff could fit, and everyone gets similar answers, but sadly not to questions like "are you going on posting all of your reviews here?" - no, instead of simply answering that you pretend that all members here have no other interests than the Intellivision and thats not just wrong, thats nearly a vicious assumption to tell us that we are stubborn.

I like the Intellivision very much, but I also NEED other systems to be satisfied. I need RPGs like Chrono Trigger, I also need high end sportsgames like NHL 13, and yes - I love to talk about these games too, but just in areas where they are the topic. The difference between us two is not that I am just an Intellivision fan, the difference is that I show respect for the topic of threads and you dont seem to do so right now.

I dont doubt that some people wished reviews from other systems, but I doubt they wished them in this forum. If you think resufal is caused by hate against other systems (or even worse: you) its completely wrong. I dont know if its your first community here, but it seems that you have just a few experiences and its just a kind advise from me, as a member of different communities for years now: If you ignore the thread or in this case board topics and discuss when people complain about that, you will get nasty discussions and head wind again and again. I am not mad about you, I would like to see you as a part of this place for having fun, but just show respect for topics in the internet, they are not just made for fun.

Believe me Oscar, I usually have a thick skin. I just found some of the terminology used a bit on the harsh side. I am always one for suggestions...I have a podcast show, so it is almost a prerequisite...lol. No harm, no foul, no worries...

Ignorama: I also understand what you are saying, but you have said it many times over. Believe me, I get it, and I have already begun a thread in the general area with Sega Saturn in mind...and it is doing well. But if people are going to respond to this thread, or any other thread I have out here, then I usually read the response and respond to it...that is just how I do things, that is how I roll.

Conversations out here are supposed to be Intellivision or Intellivision-related, and if people are talking about retro gaming or games pre-1983's video game crash, then they are, at least to some like myself, Intellivision-related because Intellivision was a part of that era, and more than likely will come up in the conversation. Intellivision topics usually have the word "Intellivision" in the topic, the thread, and the responses.

The only reason I posted my 2 Saturn reviews [i will be making at least 2 more Saturn reviews very soon] is only because the only people I knew out here at the time were in this forum, and some of those people were giving me good advice of reviewing other systems so that I would not be branded as "The Intellivision Lady". Now, I love my Intellivision, but I headed that advice because my love for video games is not solely for Intellivision, and other systems by Commodore, Sega, and Microsoft kept me very happy, and very busy many a night.

As a media reporter, I do my best to bring out what the people want, and they wanted me to do reviews for other systems. After 8 Intellivision reviews [i had only originally intended to do 4 or 5 before moving to another system] I saw the need to review other great games that are not for Intellivision.

My game reviews are new, and so far I do not see many female gamers doing reviews on a constant basis, so maybe I am breaking ground too...which is fine by me as I love being a pioneer. But I am still learning...all I ask for is patience.

- Ash

TALES FROM THE GAME ROOM

P.S.

I want to report that I successfully covered this year's BOSTON COMIC CON, and that I had the honor of meeting and interviewing both Dean O'Gorman and Aiden Turner of the movie trilogy "THE HOBBIT". I should have the story up on my Youtube page soon, so fans of my work can see me in action soon...

Tales from The Game Room 1