IGNORED

TALES FROM THE GAME ROOM 09: FIGHTERS MEGAMiX

HEAD'S UP FANS: Tales from the Game Room is back, with an all new opening on a new platform...The Sega Saturn!

One of my favorite genres in the 1990's was the fighter games that were popular at that time. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter occupied a lot of my gaming time, but one underrated title that stands alone, at least in my opinion, is Sega's FIGHTERS MEGAMiX for Sega Saturn...

Be sure to watch my Podcast talk-radio show LIVE every Saturday evening at 9PM est at www.UNregularradio.com, and you can catch RERUNS of my show every Monday evening at 6:30PM at www.CNEUradio.com

post-35681-0-69737700-1375249343_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This is again not Intellivision related. I dont think it makes sense to open threads for Sega Saturn Reviews here. Its not against you, but I would like to see this forum reserved for the good old Intellivision. If I am the only one who thinks so I will accept it, but in fact its off topic and you got that feedback already for your Batman review.

There are people out here who do watch my reviews...even for Sega Saturn...and I cannot seem to find any dedicated Sega Saturn forums on this website. I see everything from NES to Genesis, but no Saturn...

"Classic Gaming General" would probably be the best place to post Saturn reviews.

BTW, I liked the video you did on Beamrider.

• Like 3

There are people out here who do watch my reviews...even for Sega Saturn...and I cannot seem to find any dedicated Sega Saturn forums on this website. I see everything from NES to Genesis, but no Saturn...

http://segaage.com/forum/

http://segasaturngroup.proboards.com/

There are many Sega-Boards out there. And even if there where no Sega board anywhere, this is the Intellivision-Area. No offense, but this place is not for becoming a famous reviewer, its a place for Intellivision fans to talk and read about the first 16 Bit console of the world. You can also join the german community nexgam.de, there is a big lobby for Sega fans and even if you speak english you will find some people who are interessted in this stuff.

So in fact there are a lot of places where it fits better than here. And I know that some people from here like to watch all your reviews, but I am sure they will do if you post it in the correct board.

• Like 1

I agree, the Intellivision sub-forum is not the place for these reviews, even if Intellivision fans may enjoy them. AtariAge is a huge online community, and I'm sure you can find a more appropriate, on-topic forum for these. If there is enough demand, you can ask Albert to open up a Sega sub-forum.

Thanks!

-dZ.

• Like 1

I certainly meant no offense, and I never thought that I would be offending anyone by posting these reviews here. For me, it is about the segment, not the system, but everyone is entitled to feel as they wish...

It was many out here who suggested that I explore other platforms, so naturally, I assumed that those people would want to see the other system's games reviewed. In all fairness, the Sega Saturn is an amazing machine that never got it's due, much like intellivision, which is one of the reasons why I own one...I tend to root for and support the underdog system in any video game war. I like seeing the little guy win...

I will try to find a Sega Saturn, or even a Sega dedicated forum out here. It is going to take some time, and please realize that I am new out here, and that I do get quite busy, so it is not something that I can just take care of in an afternoon.

Again, I never meant to offend anyone...I just took on some of the advice that I was given here on this board by many of you...

- Ash

I certainly meant no offense, and I never thought that I would be offending anyone by posting these reviews here. For me, it is about the segment, not the system, but everyone is entitled to feel as they wish...

It was many out here who suggested that I explore other platforms, so naturally, I assumed that those people would want to see the other system's games reviewed. In all fairness, the Sega Saturn is an amazing machine that never got it's due, much like intellivision, which is one of the reasons why I own one...I tend to root for and support the underdog system in any video game war. I like seeing the little guy win...

I will try to find a Sega Saturn, or even a Sega dedicated forum out here. It is going to take some time, and please realize that I am new out here, and that I do get quite busy, so it is not something that I can just take care of in an afternoon.

Again, I never meant to offend anyone...I just took on some of the advice that I was given here on this board by many of you...

- Ash

Hey, Ash! No offense taken. I don't think anybody thought you did anything bad. We're just trying to keep the forum on topic. Many of us enjoy your reviews, and I'm sure many more will continue enjoying the Sega ones.

Ultimately, we all appreciate you taking the time to do any reviews at all! :)

Cheers!

-dZ.

• Like 1

It's all good. I have maybe one or two more Saturn reviews, and then I will have a few more Intellivision ones coming out. I am just glad that even out here in the Intellivision world, that we can admit being fans of the Sega Saturn too... ;)

Share the Sega love!

- Ash

I don't know if Sony owns Sega. Sega decided that the hardware business just was not as profitable as creating the games, and when you think about it, Sega now makes games for ALL of the systems and has no worries about a failing console, while Sony is segregated to just their Playstation platforms.

The winner is all in how you look at it...

You also have to look at the fact that in the United States, the Sega Saturn failed after a launch gone wrong and poor sales. But in Japan, the Saturn thrived and there were A LOT of games released for it. Being an import collector, I have too many Saturn games to mention, and there are some really fantastic titles [some even in English]. My Saturn [and my Dreamcast] is modded to play import games, and I highly recommend this process to anyone who cherishes these systems. In Japan, Sega gave Sony a run for it's money, and only discontinued the Saturn so that they could roll out the Dreamcast. Who knows, the Saturn was doing so well in the land of the rising sun that it might still have been around if not for the Dreamcast...one can only dream!

Personally, I loved all of the Sega consoles, even the 32X in some respects. Sega, like most of the console creators out there tend to give us what we "think" we want, as opposed to what we "actually" want. It is that way in music and film too. It is the industries way of trying to tell us what we want, and in a lot of cases, we buy into it. I never thought that I would see the day when stores could or would charge $60 for a video game, but here we are. Back in the day, a game only cost $20-30, depending on the game...it was unheard of to release a game for more than that, unless there was some selling point to justify the cost [driving controller for "Indy 500" or an Intellivoice game].

Either way, I choose to be a Sega fan regardless. Just as Sega no longer makes consoles, neither does Mattel Electronics...and both systems were put out to pasture on the cusp of the next level of gaming. I often wonder what the gaming world would have been like had the Intellivision and the ECS had succeeded beyond expectation...I often wonder the same for the Sega Saturn and 32X...

Oh no, you really get the situation wrong. Sega did not decided to quit the consoles business, they had no other chance. Also as Developer and Publisher Sega fails again and again and they have problems to keep living. Look at the facts and dont pretend that they decided to stop making consoles for doing a better business. The fact is, that Sega broken since 15 years. If Okawa had not donated 700 Million Euros to Sega after his death Sega had died too.

That is the reality, but its funny that Sega fans all over the world refuse to accept it :P And there is no question if Sony owned Sega or not, I also can show you exactly the moment when Sony did this:

http://youtu.be/ExaAYIKsDBI

Just one number and Sega was beaten, the legendary 299.

But I am sorry for beeing off topic too, thats why I would like to stay Sega out of this area, its very tempting to discuss about that topic, but its just the wrong place :-D

This is the Intellivision Land and of course the Intellivision owns Sega and Sony together!

Edited by Ignorama

I would love to see some more Intellivision reviews. At one time I had a pretty decent collection. A couple systems, the voice add on, maybe about 25 games. I sold all my Intellivision items off along with many other systems and games when I bought my first house. Many items I eventually re-bought, but the Intellivision was not one of them. Not sure why, there were several games on that I really enjoyed. Beauty and the Beast was one, D&D was another. I'm sure there are a ton of games I never heard ofSo yeah, reviews would be awesome. Maybe it would inspire me to get one again!

Also I agree Classic Gaming would be the best forum for a Saturn review.

• Like 1

Ignorama: In my opinion, as far as the Sony and Sega debate goes I really have no interest in who saved Sega or why...all I know is that Sega gave us some of the most memorable games in the 90's, and for that, I will always have a place in my heart for them. Even when Sony's Playstation dominated the video game market, I stuck with Sega. Maybe it was nostalgia, maybe it was because they were a known name by then, maybe because they gave us some great games...who exactly knows?

In the end, the bottom line is that Sega gave us a lot of great games...and for that I am eternally grateful, and a die-hard fan. When game companies compete, we ALL win.

Moycon: You can count on some more Intellivision reviews from me and my "Tales from the Game Room" segments. Right now, I switched to Sega Saturn because I had a few requests on this very Intellivision page to try other systems, and seeing that I have many systems, I decided to listen to my fans out here [i thank them for their support in just about every review I do]. Of course there are some who do not like that I went over to Sega Saturn, but the truth is the truth, that all systems that are now defunct [from Playstation 2 to Xbox Original down] are now considered retro gaming systems...and we should all be retro gaming fans for ALL systems because they all gave us many hours of enjoyment, frustration, and kept us from having a life outside...lol...

I am going to see about getting another Tales from the Game Room review up this weekend...but I have my Podcast talk-radio show this weekend, and only hours after covering The Boston Comic Con...so it is going to be a busy one for me...

- Ash

Of course there are some who do not like that I went over to Sega Saturn, but the truth is the truth, that all systems that are now defunct [from Playstation 2 to Xbox Original down] are now considered retro gaming systems...and we should all be retro gaming fans for ALL systems because they all gave us many hours of enjoyment, frustration, and kept us from having a life outside...lol...

I guess you dont unterstand. No one has a problem with your Saturn reviews, the only problem for some of us is, that you post them here, because they are off topic. So I dont really understand you: Do you still go on posting your Saturn videos HERE in the Intellivision board, or not? I understood that you are going to make more of them before returning to the Intellivision, but thats not the point.

And the rest of your post is just a personal opinion, no fact. Of course I DON'T have to be a fan of every retro platform. I am a big fan of the platforms I choose and it has severyl reasons why Sega is no member in this club.

I guess you dont unterstand. No one has a problem with your Saturn reviews, the only problem for some of us is, that you post them here, because they are off topic. So I dont really understand you: Do you still go on posting your Saturn videos HERE in the Intellivision board, or not? I understood that you are going to make more of them before returning to the Intellivision, but thats not the point.

And the rest of your post is just a personal opinion, no fact. Of course I DON'T have to be a fan of every retro platform. I am a big fan of the platforms I choose and it has severyl reasons why Sega is no member in this club.

Pretty sure Ash got your main point. I wouldn't worry about that.

Still, I wonder if the Saturn and INTV have more in common than we think. Sega was pretty third party antagonistic with the Saturn. What was Mattels take on third parties? I'm wondering if better support and/or licensing would have made the INTV pull ahead.

I think Mattel had a good 3rd Party support. There are not many games in total, but thats reasoned by the videogame crash. Just look what Imagic and Activision had done in the short lifetime of the Intellivision. I also like the games from Dextell, Parker, Interphase, Atarisoft. The count of good first party games seems to be equal with 3rd party developers and there were many games in development when the time for videogame consoles was over.

And the Intellivision and the Saturn share one point: They failed. But you cant compare the reasons, the Intellivision was released short before the market crashed, the Saturn was released when the marked boomed and just ignored from the customers, because the Playstation was simply the better choice (more games, cheaper, better licenses from 3rd parties).

I dont like to compare different consoles from different times, just to legitimate the off-topic console as slightly on-topic.

Edited by Ignorama

I think Mattel had a good 3rd Party support. There are not many games in total, but thats reasoned by the videogame crash. Just look what Imagic and Activision had done in the short lifetime of the Intellivision. I also like the games from Dextell, Parker, Interphase, Atarisoft. The count of good first party games seems to be equal with 3rd party developers and there were many games in development when the time for videogame consoles was over.

And the Intellivision and the Saturn share one point: They failed. But you cant compare the reasons, the Intellivision was released short before the market crashed, the Saturn was released when the marked boomed and just ignored from the customers, because the Playstation was simply the better choice (more games, cheaper, better licenses from 3rd parties).

I dont like to compare different consoles from different times, just to legitimate the off-topic console as slightly on-topic.

Sorry about that. I just wanted to see what you thought since you seem very knowledgeable. :)

Please dont forget about my mother language, which is german. I am afraid many things I write seem to be more rude then I wanted them to be :) So this part wasnt really for you, it was for the parts where Ash compared the both systems to point out why they are comparable.

• Like 1

Actually, the first Intellivisions were released in 1979, at the very birth of home video game consoles, not at the video game crash. That came 4 years later. By 1981 many homes, including mine, had Intellivision on their Christmas lists...by 1982, everyone was jumping on board.

In fact, the reason for the video game crash of 1983 was that too many third party companies were churning out anything that they could for a quick buck...pretty much what we started to see again and again with any new sytstem's first batch of games.

Intellivision had a fair share of third party developers, but not as many games released before the crash. While companies like Imagic and Activision were trying to create video games that could only be found on Intellivision, many others either did not develop many games or simply ported their hits to other consoles, thus giving us games that we either already had, or could get for other systems. No originality means no interest, and no interest means no purchase...

Sega Saturn's problem was that Sega decided to change the game plan without telling us. In the USA, the Saturn released 6 months before it's scheduled release date with games that were not polished to what fans came to expect from Sega. Sega tried to get the jump on Sony, but in the end, they shot themselves in their own foot with subpar software. Later Saturn releases started to show promise, but by then, it was too late.

Sega also made the Saturn very difficult to program for, but I find this to be a moot point as many of the same developers who made this claim made the same claim on the PS2, and that system went on to greatness. Sega did give us some really great games on the Saturn, but they were doing as Nintendo and trying to dictate what could be released on their consoles...just with less success.

This is almost what Mattel Electronics went through. They had some great ideas and concepts, but never put them to good use until it was too late, and by then it was way too late. They did not get as much third party support, which some could say saved them, but at the same time limited what one could play. Companies like Coleco were the worst example of a capable third party developer, and many claimed that they produced horrible Intellivision games so that people would switch over to their Colecovision. One look at games like Elektronite's DK Arcade I and II only prove this theory to me.

I can only imagine where Intellivision would have been if the video game crash never happened. They were creating some great stuff before the crash effected them, both on the video game platform as well as their ECS. One look at World Series Baseball on the Intellivision's ECS and you can see that Mattel were forward thinkers...imagine if they were allowed to continue...

- Ash

I know when the first few consoles were sold, but that was just a very small release, the real release was 1980, in Europe and Japan 1982. But even if you take the year 1980 its a very limited time and for this time the number of games is quite okay.

By the way, it wasnt at the very birth of home consoles, please keep the Magnavox Odyssey in mind. It was released in 1972, 7 years before the Intellivision was sold in Fresno and 10 years before it was released world wide.

Yes, Magnavox was out, but the idea of having a video game system in every house did not errupt until the Atari 2600 hit store shelves at Christmas 1977. Once Atari was able to dominate this market, and create a foothold in the market, that is when Mattel formed Mattel Electronics, and Intellivision made it's appearance in a test market shortly thereafter. Once beta testers gave it approval, Mattel released the system in the hopes of giving video game fans a choice.

If anyone came out late, it was Coleco in 1982...and even they managed to get somewhat of a foothold over many of the earlier systems...

I am in Massachusetts, right outside of Boston and Cambridge...cities of the arts, where the very first video game, Space War, was invented at M.I.T., and before that, they had games that worked off of information placed on punch cards, right here in my own back yard...

- Ash

• Like 1