Video RAM: 64 Kbytes

Max resolution: 768x576

Colors Available: 24-bit

Max colors at once: 16.8 million

Rendering Speed 850 pixels/second

Polygons per second 10,000

Min/Max Cart Size: 250Kbyte/84Mbyte compressed

Sound channels: 16-bit stereo sound

So basically the Jag can do everything the Neo-Geo can do and more. But Neo-Geo had direct ports of Arcade games which is awesome.

I have a Neo-Geo MVS system and it is just too cool. The carts are almost the size of a video tape. If you are actually deciding on buying a Neo-Geo, go with an MVS. Games cost $40 vs $100 for the home carts.

Here is revised spec sheet:

NEO-GEO

Motorola 68000: 12 Mhz, 16-bit

Zilog-80A: 4 Mhz, 8-bit

Main RAM:64Kb

Video RAM: 68Kb

Z80 RAM: 2Kb

Total: 134 Kb

Max Polygon's a second (real world performance) : No hardware support but can probably draw some.

Jaguar

Tom: 26.591 MHz

Jerry: 26.6 MHz

68000: 13.295 MHz

Object processor: 64 bit

Blitter: 64 bit

RAM: 2MB

Max cartridge size: 6MB (I don't think any games were this big)

Max Polygon's a second (real world performance) : No one really knows for sure. Fight for Life used 30 to 40 thousand poly's a second.

As you can tell there really is no contest. But the NEO-GEO wasn't made to compete with the Jaguar. It was made to port 2D arcade games over to a home console.

The Jaguar's specs may look better on paper, but we still have yet to see a 2D Jag game that looks as good as one on the Neo or that can manipulate as many sprites on screen simultaneously, with little slowdown. If I recall correctly, even Saturn and PSX had a little difficulty porting Neo games at least animation-wise.

The Jaguar's specs may look better on paper, but we have yet to see a 2D Jag game that looks as good as one on the Neo or that can manipulate as many sprites on screen simultaneously with little slowdown. If I recall correctly, even Saturn and PSX had a little difficulty porting Neo games at least animation-wise.

Have you played Native? Or Raiden when it gets insane?

The Saturn was an excellent 2D system and should easily be able to pull off anything the NEO-GEO could. PlayStation is an entirely different story though. Supposedly, PlayStation wasn't very good at doing 2D games. And suffered from very long load times. I'm sure CPUWIZ can and will shine some light on the subject.

The Jaguar's specs may look better on paper, but we still have yet to see a 2D Jag game that looks as good as one on the Neo or that can manipulate as many sprites on screen simultaneously, with little slowdown. If I recall correctly, even Saturn and PSX had a little difficulty porting Neo games at least animation-wise.

The Jag was way better at sprites than the NG. Look at games like Rayman or Defender 2000 for examples of sprite power. Loads of huge sprites and a lot more colors!

Huh? Rayman comes to mind.....(along with a few other titles). I love the Neo Geo, it was a great system. KOF is still one of my favorite fighting games, however comparing it to the Jaguar is unrealistic.

NEOCD vs JAGCD?

NEOGEO CORE SYSTEM

Processor: Motorola 68000 (12 Mhz, 16-bit), Zilog-80A (4 Mhz, 8-bit)

Resolution: 320x224

Color Palette: 65,536

Maximum Colors On-Screen: 4,096

Maximum Sprites On-Screen: 380

Minimum Sprite Size: 1x2

Maximum Sprite Size: 16x512

Maximum Amount of Game Planes: 3

Sound Channels: 4-FM synthesis, 7-Digital, 3-PSG, 1-Noise channel

Internal RAM: Work RAM: 64Kb

Video RAM: 68Kb

Z80 RAM: 2Kb

NEOGEO CD

All of the above, including a single-speed CD-ROM drive (2X with NEOGEO CDZ AFAIK), 64Kb of Static RAM, 512Kb Video RAM, and 56 Megabits of Dynamic RAM.

I want to know the JAGCD specs, all i could find was

The CD-ROM drive features a modified data bus interface for

access to the Tom and Jerry chips almost directly, allowing for a higher

throughput rate on sound and graphics

kindof an unfair comparison, the neo geo was and still is a very classy system. The size of the carts, the feel of the joysticks, and the price of carts really set it apart from nearly every other system ever released. It was ahead of its time, and not aimed at mainstream gamers. The closest thing to compare it to would be the vectrex (arcade quality graphics, unmatched for its time).

i found "some" specs from the pre-release from a mag:

Double-Speed Drive

350k Transfer per second

750 Megabyte Capacity

Resolution

160 x 120 @ 50 Frames per second

320 x 160 @ 24 Frames per second

keyword was "some" specs ;)

The Neo Geo also had the benefit of being officially supported for a MUCh longer period of time than the Jaguar. It's amazing what those programmers were able to pull out of that architecture for over a decade, but it still doesn't compare to the raw power of the Jag.

Jaguar

Max cartridge size: 6MB (I don't think any games were this big)

No games were that big. It would've been possible to program a switch to move between memory banks too, making game size pretty much unlimited.

The largest games released on cartridge were 4MB.

Max Polygon's a second (real world performance) : No one really knows for sure. Fight for Life used 30 to 40 thousand poly's a second.

I don't have it in front of me, but FFL didn't push nearly that many polys around. I believe there were approximately 3000 per character, and the background was what... two? Battlemorph and IS2 used more polygons than FFL did.

I don't have it in front of me, but FFL didn't push nearly that many polys around.  I believe there were approximately 3000 per character, and the background was what...  two?  Battlemorph and IS2 used more polygons than FFL did.

Well, according to Ian Francios each character was made up of around 800 polygons a second. He also stated that FFL is drawing 1,000 visible poly's a frame at 20 frames per second. So FFL could easily be pushing 30,000 poly's a second.

Well, it all comes down to the games. The Neo Geo Spanks the Jaguar, but that is expected. ALL of its games ARE arcade game titles. the MVS wasn't designed to play arcade ports, it IS the same hardware as the arcade system. Arcade games recieve much more rigourous play-testing, and usually more rigorous development, and it shows. There is NOTHING on the jaguar even REMOTELY close to games like the Shock Trooper series, Metal Slug series, Pulstar/Blazing Star series, etc. Not to mention the fighters (though im not a big fighter fan,) and puzzle games (puzzle bobble, magical drop, etc.)

I don't have it in front of me, but FFL didn't push nearly that many polys around.  I believe there were approximately 3000 per character, and the background was what...  two?  Battlemorph and IS2 used more polygons than FFL did.

3000 polygons * 2 characters = 6000 polygons....

At an outrageously slow 10 frames per second, that's 60,000 polys per second. At 20FPS, that's 120,000 polys per second.

Double-Speed Drive

350k Transfer per second

750 Megabyte Capacity

Resolution

Actually' date=' the Jagcd's transfer rate per second is 352.8k and the storage capicity is 790 Megabytes. 320x224 @ 24 frames per second, with audio. your source wasn't quite right. Also access time of 210 milliseconds.

As for the Jaguar's sprite and sound capabilities, they are: 16-bit stereo, number of sound channels limited only by software, two DACS (stereo) convert digital data to analog sound signals Wave table, FM, FM sample, AM synthesis. Sprites: "unlimited" size and quantity, realistically; sprites can be over 1,000x1,000 pixels (basically EVERYTHING is done in sprites or sprite "windows" including polygons), limited only by processor cycles of the object processor (64-bit, 26.592 MIPS [million instructions per second']@26.591 mhz). They ONLY thing the NeoGeo had over the Jaguar is the size of the cartridge memory. Which means nothing with a Jagcd...technically, since the 790megabytes of the cd, if used, is about 9 times (roughly) as much as a NeoGeo cart.

id just like to say that even though the jag may be capable of storing 16 bit sound captures that doesnt take into account how many samples per second that 16 bit sound is... and i believe in most jag games it is a VERY low sampling rate (prob 11k at the most) which may equal that of the neo geo, but is easily surpassed by the sega cd.

willie

id just like to say that even though the jag may be capable of storing 16 bit sound captures that doesnt take into account how many samples per second that 16 bit sound is... and i believe in most jag games it is a VERY low sampling rate (prob 11k at the most) which may equal that of the neo geo, but is easily surpassed by the sega cd.  

willie

Have you ever played any games that have high quality music on the Jaugar?

Tempest 2000, Atari Karts, and Blue Lightning are a few that come to mind that have excellent sound quality.

Hi !

Double-Speed Drive

350k Transfer per second

750 Megabyte Capacity

Resolution

Actually' date=' the Jagcd's transfer rate per second is 352.8k and the storage capicity is 790 Megabytes. 320x224 @ 24 frames per second, with audio. your source wasn't quite right. [/quote']

Actually they are almost right :D

I remember reading in the dev manual that the disc can store up to

746.9 Mega Bytes however the maximum transfer rate is 352.8k.

As for the Jaguar's sprite and sound capabilities' date=' they are: 16-bit stereo, number of sound channels limited only by software, two DACS (stereo) convert digital data to analog sound signals Wave table, FM, FM sample, AM synthesis. Sprites: "unlimited" size and quantity, realistically; sprites can be over 1,000x1,000 pixels (basically EVERYTHING is done in sprites or sprite "windows" including polygons), limited only by processor cycles of the object processor (64-bit, 26.592 MIPS [million instructions per second']@26.591 mhz). They ONLY thing the NeoGeo had over the Jaguar is the size of the cartridge memory. Which means nothing with a Jagcd...technically, since the 790megabytes of the cd, if used, is about 9 times (roughly) as much as a NeoGeo cart.

I often took active part in these system discussions and I think I'll stay away from that in the future and now, because it all ends with flaimg as there are always people who "know" things and people who "believe" things and people who don't want to hear certain things.

So this will be my only post in this thread.

One hint: Do NOT take the infos in the FAQ too serious, if you really want to know what the Jag can do read the development manual carefully.

One thing that is for sure, I think the Neo Geo is one of the greatest systems of all time, with many incredible games and if it all wasn't so expensive I would get one immediateley... But the emulator is ok to play the games as well, even if the feeling isn't the same.

Btw, You're always talking about the neo geo specs, don't for get that it also has some really incredible video and sound hardware (for its time).

That is something that is only listed on very few spec lists.

Think about it, the Genenis also uses a 68k and z80... are genesis games and neo geo games on the same level ? No, there are worlds between them. So the graphic hardware is the key.

Regards, Lars.

willie

I've coded Jaguar games that have 44K sample audio... So that information is not true. Perhaps the games you played had poor sample quality, which is a bigger factor than sample rate in terms of final output quality.

Personally i can't recall any Jag games with poor audio quality. Maybe the more or less direct Amiga ports like pinball fantasies use 8bit 11 khz samples cos thats what i believe was the amiga standard sound quality.

Wich could be around the same for Neo Geo. Can't find any specs that mention the specs for sampled audio.

The sega cd :

Source: Sega CD1 Users Manual (Part#: 672-0955), Sega Online

Model Number: MK-1690 (r1), MK-4102 (r2)

CPU: Motorola 68000 @ 12.5MHz

Memory:

6Mbit (Program, picture data, sound data)

512Kbit (PCM waveform memory)

128Kbit (CD-ROM data cache memory)

64Kbit (Backup memory)

1Mbit (Boot ROM)

Sound:

PCM Sound Source:

Stereo, 8 Channels.

Sampliing wavelength: 32MHz max.

D/A Convertor:

16-bit D/A convertor

8x Internal over-sampling digital filter

PCM and CD sound mixing.

Mixing with mixing terminal possible

Audio Characteristics:

Wavelength characteristics: 20Hz-20kHz.

Signal/Noise Ratio: Over 90dB (1kHz) (Line Out).

Stereo channel separation: Over 90dB.

The specs for audio are weird.. 32Mhz?? right, i got no idea what they mean with wavelength in this case it sure isn't the samplerate.

Anyhow i don't think the sega cd's sampled sound capabilities are better than the Jags. 16 bit's, 44.1Khz is Cd quality so if the sega cd is capable of doing that, it's on par with the Jag. Although i think the Jag can go to 50Khz just like the STE and Falcon030