IGNORED

Neo Geo v.s Atari jaguar

thallium196

Jaguar

USA Release: 1993  

CPU type: 64-bit

hate to bad mouth the jag i own one and play it often but this is a lie what the jag had was 2 16bit processors running together to give 32bit and 4 8-bit processors making up the other 32 bits .

so just like fans of the neo saying it was 24bit when it was really 16 with another 8 bit processor

you got fans saying that the jag was 64 it doesn't matter really but i think i'll start saying that my sega saturn was 128 bit cause that's the total bits if i add up all the processors

Jaguar

USA Release: 1993  

CPU type: 64-bit

hate to bad mouth the jag i own one and play it often but this is a lie what the jag had was 2 16bit processors running together to give 32bit and 4 8-bit processors making up the other 32 bits .

so just like fans of the neo saying it was 24bit when it was really 16 with another 8 bit processor

you got fans saying that the jag was 64 it doesn't matter really but i think i'll start saying that my sega saturn was 128 bit cause that's the total bits if i add up all the processors

HELLOOOO! McFly! Anybody in there?!? Maybe you should do some research before posting such nonsense that you OBVIOUSLY repeated from some other idiot! The TRUTH: The Jaguar has 5 processors; 2 are TRUE 64-bit processors, 2 are TRUE 32-bit processors and one is a TRUE 16-bit processor all run on a TRUE 64-bit system bus with TRUE 64-bit memory: this is FACT! So, if we were to add them together like NeoGeo does, or like you would with the Saturn, we'd get; 64+64+32+32+16=208-bit!!!!!! :roll:

The Neo Geo is a 16-bit system with a 16-bit CPU and an 8-bit coprocessor on a 16-bit system bus. This is FACT.

Don't listen to idiots or assume anything. it only makes you look stupid with such ludicrous claims. :roll:

i read that info in a article from a video game mag i have from back when the jag was getting it's ass kicked by sega saturn and 3D0 when i get home i'll scan the article if you really want

Well, please FORGIVE me then, if it was PUBLISHED, it MUST be true...(note; complete sarcasm intended in last sentence)

A word of Advice, don't believe everything you read, many times even so called "authorities" are wrong or deceitful for hidden adgendas.

No need to scan it, they were DEAD wrong and obvious idiots who didn't do their research either; totally unforgivable since it's their supposed PROFESSION. :roll: What I said about the Jaguar's TRUE "bitness" is WELL DOCUMENTED FACT. Ask anyone here that REALLY knows anything about the Jaguar. I'm sure they'll give dozens of links to this documentation. If not, I will later.

As far as the Jaguar getting it's "ass kicked" by the 3DO and Saturn, the 3DO didn't last ANY longer than the Jag, and the Saturn's time was just as short; two years (just like the 3DO and JAGUAR) '95-'97. The ONLY system that kicked the Jag's ass or any other system's for that matter, was the Playstation.

I still think all this number talk is pointless. Of course the Jaguar' specs beat the pants off the Neo Geo, it was a much more modern console. But when it comes to games, it's no contest. As much as I love my Jaguar and it's good games, the Neo Geo has a vast library of all 100% arcade games, that continues to grow to this day. Im quite aware of, and enjoy the great homebrew support the Jaguar has, but the Neo Geo is still being supported by arcade software developers. Pretty damn impressive :-)

I still think all this number talk is pointless. Of course the Jaguar' specs beat the pants off the Neo Geo, it was a much more modern console. But when it comes to games, it's no contest. As much as I love my Jaguar and it's good games, the Neo Geo has a vast library of all 100% arcade games, that continues to grow to this day. Im quite aware of, and enjoy the great homebrew support the Jaguar has, but the Neo Geo is still being supported by arcade software developers. Pretty damn impressive :-)

99% of what you just said is true, except for one glaring error. NeoGeo games being better it your OPINION. Not fact. Personally, I can't stand most NeoGeo games (not all), especially their fighters, which make up 95% of the library, so, to me, genuine arcade games or not, Jaguar games are far, far superior, no contest. This of course, is also just an opinion. I could care less if games are genuine arcade games if I don't care for those arcade games!

Its closer to 80-90% fighters :-) well, I hate fighting games in general, and SNKs fighting games are my least favorite out there (though I do enjoy watching Mai's boobies bounce,) But I really love neo's shooters (a vast library of awesome shooters,) many great side scrolling beat em ups (love those too,) a few nice platform games, some great puzzle games, some great overhead shooters, of course the metal slug series, i also really like all the early first person beat em ups (super spy, crossed swords 1,2) the king of monsters games (with godzilla-like characters in em :-) ) ill always love super baseball 2020 (even though I hate sports games,) etc etc. just a broader library...

That is the stupidest thing I ever heard. I've heard some wacky specs before but four eight bit processors working in series takes the cake. Especially since the Jaguar doesn't even have one eight bit processor.

Go here to find out Jaguar's true specs: http://www.thedfwscene.com/atari/jagspecs.htm

Its closer to 80-90% fighters :-) well, I hate fighting games in general, and SNKs fighting games are my least favorite out there (though I do enjoy watching Mai's boobies bounce,) But I really love neo's shooters (a vast library of awesome shooters,) many great side scrolling beat em ups (love those too,) a few nice platform games, some great puzzle games, some great overhead shooters, of course the metal slug series, i also really like all the early first person beat em ups (super spy, crossed swords 1,2) the king of monsters games (with godzilla-like characters in em :-)  )  ill always love super baseball 2020 (even though I hate sports games,) etc etc. just a broader library...

Yes, I do like the Metal Slug games and the shooters (Last Resort and Ghost Pilots are awsome), too bad that's only 10% of the library (approximately). :sad: There was one side scroller I thought was THE SH*T back in the day; Magicain Lord, and it was AWSOME; Definately better than a lot of Jag games. But just compare a game like Riding hero on the NeoGeo to Super Burnout on the Jaguar; Super Burnout leaves skid marks all over Riding Hero! :P But NOTHING on the NeoGeo will ever compare to T2K, Defender 2K, AvP, IronSoldier 1&2, Battlesphere or Battlemorph in my book-NOTHING. 8)

i've allways wonted a NEO GEO; mainly because the 'King Of The Fighters' games are great [if you love 2D fighters]

but back then i was simply not prepaired to pay £100 a game [however good it was!]

if we conpair fighting games on both systems the NEO GEO wins hands down, and maybe still does on eny console.

but for a range of games the Jag wins

maybe i'm wrong but hey it's just what i've seen about the jag to tell the truth i believed it cause it just didn't seem like a system at that tiem could really be that powerful and not sell sorry for the trouble

The best and most powerful system is not always the biggest seller. Look at the XBOX. It's much more powerful than the PS2, but sells perhaps 25% as many units.

Even the 2600 was pretty underpowered compared to other systems from that generation, but it kicked their butts in sales.

I remember the only time I ever saw the Jag on UK TV back in the day...

It was a 10-second slot on a games program, like 'This is the Atari Jaguar. It's 64-bit, which is twice as good as the SNES and Mega Drive! Isn't that cool!' and then they moved on to a huge, in-depth feature on the prototype of Uniracers on the SNES :roll:

Come back GamesMaster, all is forgiven. Patrick Moore rocked in that :D

Stone

• 21 years later...

Sorry to say it especially here but the Atari Jaguar is one of the worst consoles ever overall. Very few games and almost all of them are rubbish. It suffers what every Atari console after the 2600 suffers from and that is almost zero third party support. No matter how powerful it is as a system I would take ANY console over it. Even the Amiga CD32 has a large number of much better games. My first handheld was a Lynx which I loved and it has some awesome (to me) games like Ninja Gaiden, Blue Lightning, Rygar, California Games etc but I was always jealous of my friend who had a Game Gear because it had better games. I collect many systems and consoles, too many to list but here are a few... Atari 2600, 2600 Jr, Lynx 1 and 2, Atari XE, Atari 600, Atari 1040 STE, Amiga's, NES, Famicom, Gameboy, SNES, N64, Game Cube, Wii, Sega Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Mega CD, 32X, Neo Geo AES, all Playstation models, Xbox and more which I cannot think of right now. I had a Jaguar in my collection but I sold it because the games it had were garbage and the controller was horrible too. 

2 minutes ago, dougal22 said:

Sorry to say it especially here but the Atari Jaguar is one of the worst consoles ever overall. Very few games and almost all of them are rubbish. It suffers what every Atari console after the 2600 suffers from and that is almost zero third party support. No matter how powerful it is as a system I would take ANY console over it. Even the Amiga CD32 has a large number of much better games. My first handheld was a Lynx which I loved and it has some awesome (to me) games like Ninja Gaiden, Blue Lightning, Rygar, California Games etc but I was always jealous of my friend who had a Game Gear because it had better games. I collect many systems and consoles, too many to list but here are a few... Atari 2600, 2600 Jr, Lynx 1 and 2, Atari XE, Atari 600, Atari 1040 STE, Amiga's, NES, Famicom, Gameboy, SNES, N64, Game Cube, Wii, Sega Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Mega CD, 32X, Neo Geo AES, all Playstation models, Xbox and more which I cannot think of right now. I had a Jaguar in my collection but I sold it because the games it had were garbage and the controller was horrible too. 

the big lebowski opinion GIF

Glad you came here to share that. Was there anything you did like about the Jaguar?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Seeing this topic made me remember those heady “bit wars” days.  And, man, Dougal22… was today the day you just finally had it with the Jaguar?  Did you get hit with a Trevor McFur cart this morning?  Did someone yell “where did YOU learn to drive?” and you slipped into “Do The Math” flashbacks?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, dougal22 said:

Sorry for getting all AVGN on the Jaguar. I just really dislike the system, but each to their own :)

Since the Jaguar is unarguably the best console, you must not be using it properly. Though I'm for sure beating a dead horse here, have you tried playing with the Jaguar sitting in your lap, such that your nostrils inhale the generated fumes in a more concentrated fashion?

The controller also becomes more awesome once you become very good at holding it in a different manner for each game that utilizes the keypad, such that you can utilize that game's preferred arbitrary overlay layout. E.g., if you can't play with it resting on your knee at an angle such that you can do an extra fast turn by holding down A+C while performing a flawless first-attempt weapon switch on the keypad while strafing a few tanks and helicopters using the advanced steering/control mode, you're probably still stuck on Level 1 of Iron Soldier 2, just like me. Note this is a level the only strategy guide I'm aware of for this game refers to as "an easy warm-up to get your feet wet," while the next mission's description begins by saying 'Time for a "real" mission!' FML.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

Happy to chime in 21 years later..

Jaguar has the best Wolfenstein 3D game out there. Even ports on modern consoles don't come close to this raw 64bit masterpiece. What more does one need in life.

I won't argue with the fact that Wolfenstein 3D looks awesome on the Jaguar. I had two games on my Jaguar, Wolfenstein 3D which I liked and Cybermorph which was garbage. My problem with the Jaguar is not as such the specs of the system but the lack of third party support for the console. Also from the few games that actually made it to the system almost none of them took advantage of the claimed 64 bit power. Games on the Playstation and Saturn, both 32 bit albeit released after the Jaguar look better. Heck, most Jaguar games don't look much better than similar games on the 16 bit SNES. So no matter what the hardware can do, without decent 3rd party support its bound to fail. Same with the Atari Lynx, a portable which holds very dear to me because it was my first handheld. It was technically superior to the pea green Gameboy or even the Game Gear and had a few great games which I already mentioned, it also has a lot of crappy games. I don't care for the recycled old Atari arcade ports they made for it just because it lacked support from publishers. Honestly, I am not an Atari basher. So much so that my first ever computer was a 65XE and I have fond memories of playing games like Henry's House, Pac Man, Mario Bros, Pitfall etc. 

• Like 2