IGNORED

Rana ROM images

MrMartian

Hi all, I'm completely new to programming EPROMs. My Rana has an Intel P2372A-3 that has no window in it. Does that mean it's not reprogrammable? If not are other erasable 2732s compatible?

Also, if anyone offers a EPROM reprogramming service that ships in/to Canada I'd really appreciate not buying more devices... More specifically, my wife would really appreciate it.

Thanks your help,

Greg

IMG_20210117_135532391.jpg

6 minutes ago, Awch said:

Hi all, I'm completely new to programming EPROMs. My Rana has an Intel P2372A-3 that has no window in it. Does that mean it's not reprogrammable? If not are other erasable 2732s compatible?

Also, if anyone offers a EPROM reprogramming service that ships in/to Canada I'd really appreciate not buying more devices... More specifically, my wife would really appreciate it.

Thanks your help,

Greg

IMG_20210117_135532391.jpg

As your P2732 has no window it is not UV erasable, it would be a write once device.

@Nezgaris in Saskatchewan and has the ability to burn EPROMs, you could try contacting him via PM.

If you want to burn your own but have a programmer incapable of higher voltages I posted about Fairchild 2732s in another thread that only require +12.5 to +13V for programming.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just received a fresh supply of NMC27C32BQ-200's actually, specifically because of the 12.5V programming voltage, and they work well... Although my original TL866 "claims" to support 21V, in reality it is also limited to about 18V. I have a previous batch of ST M2732A's that are clearly labelled 21V, and only half of them would successfully program. I ever complete a hack to boost the VPP to 21V I suspect I'll be able to have more success. Lucky I had so many work with marginal power as I did I think. I won't throw them out just yet in the mean time. :)

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Hi Rana users...bump

After reading this thread I looked into my Rana... Well it has the 8 meg crystal and the 8051 cpu so i was going to order the parts and try your mod...

Whale looking around I found a couple of changes that did not look Atari/real..Maybe something I did back in the 80's when I was into Atari...

!. The TIP110 (motor drive) has its collector pin cut and a jumper to R26..Found schematics but no R26 to be found??? Also R33 a 5.0 ohm 1watt resistor...

2. J2 connector unpluged and pin 4 and 5 tied together..

All else appears to be stock...

O yes did the rom update work for everyone???

Peter

WIN_20211215_15_22_58_Pro.jpg

Thanks for the info...I have Rom's coming and will update the Rom...I just have to figure out how to work/use the Rom burner. I have the same one everyone else has, tl866 plus, at least most of the people talk about...

I have never had to use a burner but will try to figure it out..I guess you can also read the code/info on the Rom's someway...

Peter

Hi anyone still looking at this thread???

I have a question or two...

1. The new rom did not work for me..The drive see's the on/off (power) and does search for data, goes from 00 sec to 39.. After that it does nothing..(when I address it with the computer the 39 does flicker for a bit but the drive does not move).

Maybe I used the wrong rom or ???

2. If I put the old rom back in will the system run??? I ask because I did change the crystal from 8 meg to 12. And yes the scope says the freq. is 12 meg.

Any help??

Peter

• 1 month later...

OK thanks for the replies. It has been some time that I worked on this drive but what I remember is...

The drive ran great. It formatted, read files and wrote files to the disks. After reading the thread I decided to upgrade the file on the ROM..I may have downloaded the wrong file or ??? but after changing out the crystal (12 meg. and changing the ROM to a EPROM it does not work.. I was very careful taking it apart and noted the changes that I found.( I have had this drive and computers for 36 or so years and I have found I have done many changes to the 800xl computer and the disk drives that I did not remember.) The change to the motor driver must have been to make it work better or ?? (The rewire and resistor change).

So to get to the end I put it back together and fired it up...Well it did not go..I moved some things and played with it and found it to do:

With power on it "reads" the disk the head goes from the rest going to the other end then back.

It does not format,read the disk...The disk was the one I had formatted before the mod's... Well that about all I remember from weeks back..I need to clean off the work bench to set it up and try it again...I don't want to un-solder the crystal and replace it and the ROM but if that is what it takes I want to get it working..

Any idea where to start would be great...

Peter

1 hour ago, Peter Rabitt said:

Peter

Paul Alhart (p.alhart@verizon.net) sells a troubleshooting guide for Rana drives and might be able to give you a hint (or even repair the drive).

OK, I have not gone back to the original ROM yet as I was hoping to get this to work...Maybe some other thing that causes the drive to not work,

Funny thing as I was putting it back together it work correctly at power on a few times. Then quit doing anything...Yes I put the head cable on correctly as it has one pin missing on the mother board connector and a plug in one of the connector pins..Only one way to plug it in... I took the wired up pins 4&5 and connected the connector to the proper place... With the disk drive in stand up position I can see the mech's work and they are correct the few times it work, then I moved something and it quit.. The schematics I have are not for this Rana One schematic I have has the 6502 (4meg crystal) and the other is for the  8031(12meg crystal). My unit has a 8031 and a 8 meg crystal before mod...

It may not make any difference but still is confusing...

Peter

On 2/1/2022 at 1:49 PM, Peter Rabitt said:

OK thanks for the replies. It has been some time that I worked on this drive but what I remember is...

The drive ran great. It formatted, read files and wrote files to the disks. After reading the thread I decided to upgrade the file on the ROM..I may have downloaded the wrong file or ??? but after changing out the crystal (12 meg. and changing the ROM to a EPROM it does not work.. I was very careful taking it apart and noted the changes that I found.( I have had this drive and computers for 36 or so years and I have found I have done many changes to the 800xl computer and the disk drives that I did not remember.) The change to the motor driver must have been to make it work better or ?? (The rewire and resistor change).

So to get to the end I put it back together and fired it up...Well it did not go..I moved some things and played with it and found it to do:

With power on it "reads" the disk the head goes from the rest going to the other end then back.

It does not format,read the disk...The disk was the one I had formatted before the mod's... Well that about all I remember from weeks back..I need to clean off the work bench to set it up and try it again...I don't want to un-solder the crystal and replace it and the ROM but if that is what it takes I want to get it working..

Peter

I think it would be worthwhile to send you a known-good and working rom.  I have them and will do so happily, am kinda betting that your rom is the only fault.  

Just want to make sure we have the same version Rana 1000.  Min also required a 12mhz crystal, so I think we are in the right place.  The CPU on my drive is the Intel 8050? and was clocked by an 8mhz crystal.

best,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, thank you for the help but my Rana is a 8031 CPU chip... Yes it has a 12 meg crystal now was an 8 meg crystal... I mod for the "new" ROM. I also am having with a Indus drive that worked great until I was going to upgrade to 64k ram to use with some of the CP/M prograns I have but after installing it it the dirve went down the way of a broken drive...Working on it also...

May I ask what "later ROM"???? I did not change the ROM only added the ram mod.

It now fails with and with out the ram update... Will not read write or format anything...I think i smelled something when I turn on the drive the first time after adding the RAM mod.

Still working on the Rana drive..Thinking of going back to the original ROM and crystal to see if that works...

Peter

5 hours ago, Peter Rabitt said:

May I ask what "later ROM"???? I did not change the ROM only added the ram mod.

It now fails with and with out the ram update... Will not read write or format anything...I think i smelled something when I turn on the drive the first time after adding the RAM mod.

Still working on the Rana drive..Thinking of going back to the original ROM and crystal to see if that works...

Peter

here are all my INdusGT ROMs and a document that i got from here:

the v1.4 ROM is not recommended as it is just a renamed earlier version but the attached document refers to v1.2.

the one with MM in brackets is one modded by our friend MrMartian so likely the better option.

indus gt rom guide 1 001.jpg

indus gt rom guide 2 001.jpg

INDUSunk.rom INDUS12.rom indus 14.rom Indus_gt_12(MM).bin