IGNORED

Rana ROM images

MrMartian

On 5/14/2020 at 2:02 PM, MrMartian said:

I have the original TL866 that does 21v programming. The newer TL866II only goes to 18v (which is what I'm guessing you have)..

I'm surprised no one has come up with an internal mod to allow higher voltage programming, since these things are so popular and widespread. Though I can see the amount of work needed to do something like that.

But what about an external interposer that sits between the chip the programmer. An externally powered amplifier. Something that should be rather straightforward. Can see 3 different ways to do it straight away.

10 hours ago, Peter Rabitt said:

Wow thanks for the info...As I read the thread on the Indus I was turn off because the "new" ROM deleted the CP/M that I wanted to use for a bunch of floppies I have... I will check the ROM in the drive and check to see if I have the latest ROM for the drive...

Peter

let me know how you get on, im not that clear on the SRAMCharger requirements myself. i only recently resurrected my IndusGT (zero sensor failure) and ive not tried the CP/M since...

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have got the Rana back together and everything appears to work except the Head stepper motor.. It does not move but the display does indicate the 00 to 39 ... Some tines it try's to go but does not move...The disk does spins.. Any Ideas??

Does the new BOM have anything to do with the head stepper motor??

DOS just say's NAK

Peter

if the stepper is not stepping then you need to make sure it's free, you need to make sure it's sensing properly... pull the bottom off the stepper and make sure the ferrous rings haven't broken or come loose and clean it out and bond it back tightly so it doens't drag or replace the stepper once you verify the servo driving supplies are good etc.

Mr Peter Rabbit, this is rather off topic though, if you are looking to repair a broken drive.... might want to search out a rana repair thread...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Thank you for the Idea!!

The problem is that when I replaced the ROM and the crystal in this Rana it died,,It worked great until I wanted to upgrade it to the new ROM...

I have checked and the head manually moves OK I lub. up the rails and it does move nice..

I will check the motor next and see if it has any problems...I did move the stepper manually and it appeared to move correctly..

Peter

Hay DOC. it appears this is the repair thread... When I search for Rana repair this is the thread that came up.. Maybe I did not look far enough..

Edited by Peter Rabitt
udate responce

this is the rom thread, if you can't find a repair thread you can create your own... the reason why no one can find anything anymore is none of it is in topics/threads to search anymore... it's all buried in spread into every other space. so that's why it's suggested to find a similar thread or make your own. report stuff so the moderators can move it...

• 2 weeks later...

OK, now not looking at "THE DOC" answer I have found the answer to the Rana I modded to with the ROM UPGRADE... I had though the ROM upgrade was the problem so I ask about it here. The ROM works great altho I would like to know where the software to test the SIO, etc is. The software to test the reason for the upgrade...

So now to why I was having problems with the Rana when I replaced the crystal and ROM... It was some one in the past changed one of the cap....I found the input caps where old and the reason I was looking was the motor's did not move but the front panels stuff appeared to work. (+5.0 and the 12v Reg.) Well some one swapped out on of the BIG cap's in the voltage doubler and messed up the circuit board under  the cap. This killed the 12 volts (to the motors, NOT the 12 v to the logic circuit) for the motor. Any way after removing the cap and fixing the traces the Rana works....Yes I put NEW caps in to make sure the system would work..

YEA..

Peter

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

... only four years later ... 

Finally I got everything in one place and could finish the upgrade. Had several issues, which stopped me again and again, but now it´s done. Thanks to all of you for all the great work here. :)

Reads and Writes fine, formatting is a bit strange sometimes (repeats it like 5 times but it works). Did Double Density with SDX and XDOS (S. Dorndorf) without issues. More detailed testing is to follow, now I have to enjoy that rare thing, which is happening here: The sun is shining. ;)

Before upgrade: Make sure it works, Eprommer is lurking in the Atari already.

IMG_3662.thumb.JPG.0a684e44007c3232431287689644c062.JPG

Had some non working EPROMs, but finally this one was usable:

IMG_3670.thumb.JPG.06ea372b295c3429c4afb890b0721175.JPG

This had to go:

IMG_3671.thumb.JPG.97d6d3e29d808b767c91d629728e7b67.JPG

And finally it is working:

IMG_3675.thumb.JPG.a30032f99115208d6eca31aa200bb80d.JPGIMG_3674.thumb.JPG.d0e0b78e0b3a5de38683f3a760ea6078.JPG

• Like 2

Actually I've written the Burner software and the ROM (Bin-File) to a physical disc and loaded it ro my 800 XL from the Rana-Drive. Also the ROM was the loaded from the Rana and written to the EPROM.

One could say, the Rana did kind of a self-surgery ;)

Isn't that the real fun of using old Hardware? 

• Like 2