IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

You can never have too many TI's so I always keep an eye out... I saw this one that has a hole cut out of the back of it. Anyone care to speculate about what the mod does?

I'd venture to say GROM port riser has had another 36-pin connector mirrored, soldered to the back of it to allow two cartridges to be inserted. Sort of a poor man's Navarone ...

• Like 1

I'd venture to say GROM port riser has had another 36-pin connector mirrored, soldered to the back of it to allow two cartridges to be inserted. Sort of a poor man's Navarone ...

Interesting! It definitely looks like a cart related mod.

It was probably modified that way to use it with the GSIM, GROM Box, or EGROM box at TI (to keep the cartridge cable salad out of the way). Since Blaine is the seller, it almost certainly originated at TI. I think I even bought a set of GROM ports modified like that from him about 10 years ago. . .

• Like 2

You can never have too many TI's so I always keep an eye out... I saw this one that has a hole cut out of the back of it. Anyone care to speculate about what the mod does?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Texas-Instruments-TI-99-4A-Home-Computer-tested-works-TI99-/222571481421

I asked:

"What is the hole in the back for? Any idea?"
bcrandell replied: "That 4A is development computer; customized for special diagnostics and capabilities. It should not have been listed as an ordinary 4A."

• Like 1

The disk controller with a Control Data label is a standard TI controller--and one of the last ones they made. Definitely and interesting find, as most of those went into the educational market and disappeared from the face of the earth once the institution that purchased them didn't need them any more (they usually got landfilled).

• Like 4

Near the end of my employment with Cecure Electronics (and the end of the company's existence), a fair number of Control Data branded cards, consoles, and equipment were in stock and available for purchase. If memory serves correctly, they were received together with the semi-load of parts sent by the TI CARES repair group when Cecure took over servicing the TI hardware. The TI console title screen even displayed Control Data and sported the CD logo.

Fabrice's sight has some good pics.

http://www.ti99.com/ti/index.php?article16/control-data-cdc-99-4a

• Like 4

this is WAY out of my range- but there's an Anteater cart up.

I understand different people enjoy different aspects of the hobby, and that's all good, but when it comes to collecting cartridges, I'm personally unable to grasp spending that much money on a single cartridge. I could very well be wrong, and probably am, but I believe TI cartridge prices have maxed out. Most people who care about this machine are getting older, some even dying, others who want to play on 'real iron' are getting multicarts like the FinalGROM99. Will the next generation who has no emotional or nostalgic ties to the TI even care about an obscure game for an antique TI?

Will it sell? It may, but if it does it will obviously be to someone with more discretionary income than I.

• Like 1

I understand different people enjoy different aspects of the hobby, and that's all good, but when it comes to collecting cartridges, I'm personally unable to grasp spending that much money on a single cartridge. I could very well be wrong, and probably am, but I believe TI cartridge prices have maxed out. Most people who care about this machine are getting older, some even dying, others who want to play on 'real iron' are getting multicarts like the FinalGROM99. Will the next generation who has no emotional or nostalgic ties to the TI even care about an obscure game for an antique TI?

Will it sell? It may, but if it does it will obviously be to someone with more discretionary income than I.

Those are some pretty deep observations! :)

Personally, I'm starting to level off my cart-collecting except for some specific things that I'd like (I lack 2 Atarisoft carts and would like to start grabbing some of the Funware ones)- but, really, to play games or use applications I don't have ready access to I'm saving up my money for the FinalGROM99.

The concept of being able to load ANY software I want from the the FinalGROM (well, within reason) and not keep swapping cartridges/disks out of my real iron TI is super exciting to me.

• Like 2

$159?! I had one not that long ago. Was CIB, like new... couldn't sell here (got yanked/buyer flaked out) for $45-$50 and finally listed it on eBay, where it eventually sold for around the same price. Had a Rotor Raiders in similar condition too... same_exact_experience.

There seems to be a very inflated sense of the value of the Romox cartridges lately. . .unfortunately, it is unjustified, based on the sheer number of them in circulation. A boxed cartridge shouldn't be more than about $50 in pristine shape (unless it is Topper or Typo-II--with a Topper in the box being ultra-rare). Loose cartridges are usually under $30 each (although a Romox Topper again is an outlier--it is much more common in the Navarone issue).

• Like 1

Topper is probably one of the most polished games ever released by Romox - AND one of the most original Q-Bert clones. Hard to even call it a clone!

Anteater and Roto Rooter are not bad either (prefer the original ant Eater with the tongue moving through the maze though))

But some of them are are pretty bad. Princess and Frog is my least favourite Frogger clone (really, it's just plain ugly IMO) and HenPecked (Chicken Coop from Navarone) is a poor substitute for Joust (no lie, the first time I loaded the disc version, I thought the program was corrupt because of the gawdawful music...seriously WHAT were they thinking? Is it even really music by any definition?)

I've spent stupid amounts for items I wanted and usually bid mighty high for DBT and Funware releases, but I'd be hard pressed to bid higher than 25 bucks for a Romox cart (with the same exceptions that Ksarul listed).

Which is probably why, after 3 years and over 200 collected carts, I still don't have a single Romox cart. (and don;t feel they are "missing" from my collection.)

One man's tea is another man's poison though, so I'm sure there are those who loved these games back-in-the-day, that would disagree completely.

When I decided to get back into collecting TI gear, I was (and still am) less focused on collecting and more interested in making a functional system. I only have a handful of cartridges (if I see some specific ones in beige I might snag them), but with a FG99 and a NanoPEB, between those two things I can have everything I want and need without dedicating a lot of space and saving wear and tear on the cartridge port. I've eyed the new PEBs that show up on Ebay but I really just don't want to spend that kind of money when the NanoPEB does everything I need and I have a ready supply of media.

Now if a beige set of TI joysticks shows up on Ebay...... :)

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1