IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

Yes Indeed I have a boxed (and i think complete) turbo XT. I would be really pleased to complete the system. Of course it Is just curiosity and for personal collection but really expensive then 😅

Edited by ti99iuc

6 minutes ago, chris36 said:

No, it's still an IBM XT.  The XT designation means it's a second generation IBM that has some upgrades over the original non-XT model.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer_XT

In my book the addition of a hard drive was what primarily distinguished the XT from original PC. Did not know about the number of expansion slots difference though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vorticon said:

In my book the addition of a hard drive was what primarily distinguished the XT from original PC. Did not know about the number of expansion slots difference though.

And the dropping of cassette port.  I didn't know that IBM PC every had a cassette port. 

2 hours ago, chris36 said:

And the dropping of cassette port.  I didn't know that IBM PC every had a cassette port. 

Another change was removing the BASIC ROMs that would allow you to boot into basic language without any floppy drives.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

Another change was removing the BASIC ROMs that would allow you to boot into basic language without any floppy drives.

My IBM PCjr can do that. Love that machine, particularly when expanded. My machine below has 640k, ps/2 keyboard adapter, 3.5" external FD, external Zip drive, external CD Rom drive and a CF- based hard drive. Here seen running GEM OS.

20180801_194550.thumb.jpg.31949e103b407a7b705e83a8d57001db.jpg

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Vorticon said:

My IBM PCjr can do that. Love that machine, particularly when expanded. My machine below has 640k, ps/2 keyboard adapter, 3.5" external FD, external Zip drive, external CD Rom drive and a CF- based hard drive. Here seen running GEM OS.

Woah!   I have never seen GEM running on a PC, only on the ST.

So, does this mean a Triton Turbo XT could run GEM?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

GEM was designed by Digital Research and they also did Dr. DOS for the x86 and had GEM version as well, but the Atari ST release was more advanced and had better graphics and speed.

I also wanted to try to do a GEM on the ti99

Edited by Gary from OPA
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

So, does this mean a Triton Turbo XT could run GEM?

It should but it will need to be expanded to 640k and possibly a hard disk.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Try it yourself? Should run in MAME or BOCHS ...

https://winworldpc.com/product/gem/1x

1x is the best, as that was before the GUI lawsuits by Apple.

2x was fixed two windows only like a dual pane file manager after they sadly lost the lawsuit.

Their is now also two updated open source GEM versions as the source code was released years ago.

Edited by Gary from OPA
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 8:29 PM, Gary from OPA said:

A diversion from the topic, but IBM put Cassette BASIC in the ROMs going all the way up through some of the PS/2 models.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nuxi said:

Never get involved in a bidding war. Bet the next one goes for about $200. One of these days I'll snag one for cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/387104359740

It's only at 1128 with 23 hours left. I bet it will end up going for 1600. Sadly for some reason these printers always end up over 1500. Lucky I still have mine and two packs of paper for it, never getting rid of it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gary from OPA said:

It's only at 1128 with 23 hours left. I bet it will end up going for 1600. Sadly for some reason these printers always end up over 1500. Lucky I still have mine and two packs of paper for it, never getting rid of it.

The last one looks like it sold for 750. I've seen one go for about 350 not too long ago. Depends on who's looking. I'm patient.

• Like 1