IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

1 minute ago, dabone said:

All the usbc pd boards that I saw have a value you set or buy them at, but if that voltage doesn't exist on the usb c power supply you are using, they then pass the next lower voltage. 

Yeah that one thing I noticed with them. So what external 12volt power supply do you recommend? Is there a suitable one like on Amazon?

6 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Yeah that one thing I noticed with them. So what external 12volt power supply do you recommend? Is there a suitable one like on Amazon?

My favorite is using a meanwell lrs-50 and 3d printing a case for it.

Other than that, most should work, just check the reviews and buy a decent quality one.

The ones I send out originally were from a mini pc router my company carried for years, and were also generic Chinese psus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dabone said:

I'm the one that did the power supplies.

@dabone ,

Is it safe to test the voltage output not under load?

Center post positive or negative?

Thanks for this kewl new product. Most of my TI transformers buzz because of age, and I'm sure the original PSU could do with a recap.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dhe said:

@dabone ,

Is it safe to test the voltage output not under load?

Center post positive or negative?

Thanks for this kewl new product. Most of my TI transformers buzz because of age, and I'm sure the original PSU could do with a recap.

That's the importance of a regulated power supply. The voltage will be the same with or without the load. Unregulated supplies have a wide range of voltages dependent on the load.

Center positive, and it has a protection circuit incase it gets wired up backwards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

TI-99/4A RetroPower PSU from Poland

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125665389949

RetroPower-eBayPL-01.thumb.jpg.2d26274cd34a8f5e6d510af76ebcaf0f.jpg

RetroPower-eBayPL-02.thumb.jpg.a83932cfac14dfef6a308de57900d07a.jpg

Yes that another option. The made a universal retro PSU as external brick which is the same for various older home computers and just supply a different connection cable from it to the computer.

For this one you rewire the transformer plug to go directly to 4 pin molex inside your ti99 and remove the old power supply totally.

If you want to keep your ti99 power switch and led you have to figure out your own solution for that part.

Finally, once your ti99 is modified internally you got to be careful to not plug in an original ti transformer again or it will damage your console.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Cheap for pick-up, but Monopoly$51.36 shipping?!  Crikey!

Only 37 usd for shipping. But yeah not worth it for me with the 51 cad in shipping or I will try.

It ended at 13.50 usd plus of course shipping

Edited by Gary from OPA
someone won it
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, dabone said:

As for the USB-C input, since this is a VERY stripped down psu, it requires the +12v to be +12v, or it could damage things.

The +12 is routed straight to the TI motherboard, and the PSU generates the +5 and -5 rails.

All the usbc pd boards that I saw have a value you set or buy them at, but if that voltage doesn't exist on the usb c power supply you are using, they then pass the next lower voltage. 

How extensive would the design change be to add protection against that scenario? Even if you're not interested, it might be fun for someone else.

On 5/5/2024 at 12:20 AM, horizon2374 said:

I saw the CD PES as well. They are unique indeed, and some of the very last PES systems manufactured (Feb/Mar 1984). Many years ago I acquired the full system on eBay, including the CD-branded monitor, which is actually a Zenith ZVM-131. I’m not certain a CD-branded RS-232 was manufactured, as this typically wouldn’t be used, but yes the flex cable, 32K, and disk controller cards were made. A great site to visit about the system:

http://www.ti99.com/ti/index.php?article16/control-data-cdc-99-4a

The TI console is a late release QI version, with a modified CD-branded ROM. Late release QI’s include the orange-line power switch, along with orange-line on top of the switch itself.

Is there a ROM-Dump to get this 

image.png.56516fe554ee2ae19b5da420aca2ce4f.png

nice boot-screen in an emulator?