IGNORED

Any Master System owners?

The SMS did not have better sound than the NES. NES sound and controllers were better. Other than that, the SMS was probably technically superior.

Also, NES came out the same day as the SG-1000 in Japan. Mark III (SMS) only came out like 2 years later. So it has about 2 more years of technological development behind it.

Edited by BillyHW

You can buy an FM soundcard for the SMS from the SMS Power forums. It's pretty cheap and easy to install (it plugs into the expansion and 2 easy solder points). There are quite a few games that utilise the FM chip if detected even in western releases. It really makes a big difference to the variation of the tunes.

I would go for a model 1 SMS. Mainly for the reasons that others have already mentioned (AV out, card slot) but also because it just looks really cool in real life. Plus, Mordecai and Rigby from the Regular Show play one! :P

• Like 4

PAL Master System owner here, I think that it is a nice system.

My favorites being Streets of Rage, the 8-bit Sonic ports and Double Dragon. The Sega 8-bit ports are generally very difficult I find compared to the Mega Drive versions, they are a good challenge.

The SMS did not have better sound than the NES. NES sound and controllers were better. Other than that, the SMS was probably technically superior.

Also, NES came out the same day as the SG-1000 in Japan. Mark III (SMS) only came out like 2 years later. So it has about 2 more years of technological development behind it.

The Famicom came out the same day as the SG-1000 in Japan, not the NES. The NES came out 2 years later as well, it was Nintendo's choice not to up the specs during that time.

I own 3 mastersystems. 1 model 1 and 2 model 2s. If i recall correct. Both versions have a built in game. The old one a maze game, the new one alex the kid. There are a few models that had different built in games, but they are more uncommon. Since the mastersystem sold well in europe, it isn't that hard to get games over here.

What i didn't like about the mastersystem is the dull box art. It's about as worse as boxart can get. I have a few late released games that have nice boxart.

IT's true that most of the box art is bad but now I find it kind of charming. It's certainly unmistakable that's for sure!

One thing I d like about them though is that they look really good on your shelf. Almost book like. It's really easy to get games in their boxes and the spines tend to have a nice uniformity that sits well with my OCD and pedantry. :)

• Like 2

I own one with at least 20 games for it. I only play it in the autumn and winter months when I have more time to spend indoors. It's stock controllers, and the various 3rd party controllers that the system came with, don't work well. None of them. Am I remembering correctly that I use SEGA Genesis 3-button pads with the MS and that works? I think so.

Regarding the Genesis ports and ones ported to Genesis, do you find them worthwhile on the Master System? I expect this console to be more of a novelty for me than something to be played very often. My Atari and NES get the honor of the most frequent use right now. I'm thinking a few solid games and only a few just for the experience are in order.

People often comment on the weaknesses of the down ports but I think of them as a slightly different take on the games they represent. Personally, I really like Streets of Rage, Golden Axe and Outrun on the SMS but most people compare them to the Megadrive versions. In that case of course the Megadrive versions are better. However, if you can look past that fact you'll find they hold charm of their own.

The Sonic games on the SMS play and feel very different compared to their 16 bit cousins but I actually prefer them. These aren't Megadrive ports but they are worth considering.

Other SMS games I find really enjoyable are Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, Super Space Invaders, the Monster Boy games, Ninja Gaiden, Master of Darkness and quite a few of the shmups (Bomber Raid, Power Strike etc). There are also old classics like The Ninja (a port of an old arcade game called Ninja Princess) and Teddy Boy.

The RPGs are also pretty good on the system. There's Ultima and Ys as well as exclusives like Dragon Crystal, Golden Axe Warrior, Golvelius and, of course, Phantasy Star. :)

There's a Spy Hunter clone I want also. Action Fighter I think. I don't really like Spy Hunter but it's one I had to own for some reason. This will be the same.

BTW, an update on my situation. I got a bonus at work and decided what the heck, pay the stupid high price and be done with it. I ordered the SMS2 off Ebay that I linked. I'll get it modded when it arrives and hook it up composite. It felt like Karma was with me on it. I was looking at it and expecting a tiny paycheck when the surprise bonus hit. You can't argue with fate. Either that or I'm just weak and trying to justify it ;)

My favorite games for the system (in no particular order)

US releases: WonderBoy 1,2,3, Y's, Phantasy Star, Golden Axe Warrior, Psycho Fox, Golvellius, R-Type, Fantasy Zone 1&2, Castle of Illusion, Time Soldiers, Alex Kidd in Miracle world & Shinobi World, Sonic 1, Rampage, Space Harrier

European Releases: Sagaia, Sonic 2, Asterix, Asterix and the secret mission, Asterix and the great rescue (it's good, but not quite as good as the first 2 Asterix Games), Road Rash, Land of Illusion, Lucky Dime Caper, Deep Duck Trouble, Smurfs, Forgotten Worlds (has an SMS exclusive stage!), Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Captain Silver (European version of Captain Silver is 2 megabit, where as the US release is 1 megabit. European version is a vastly better game)

I love the system, but a lot of the early releases felt like rushed or half-hearted attempts compared to the NES games at the time. Nintendo had enough money to take the time to polish their games really well, where as Sega developed the majority of their games themselves and was forced to rush to keep up.

Edited by Raccoon Lad
  • Like 2

I loved the SMS back in the day, and even though it doesn't get tons of playtime now it's still a great console. First, it has amazing arcade ports that still hold up (Shinobi, Afterburner, etc). Second, it has some really fun, quirky originals (Penguin Land, Alex Kidd, etc). Finally, it has the best light-gun lineup of any console ever (Rescue Mission, Wanted, etc).

• Like 2

You can buy an FM soundcard for the SMS from the SMS Power forums. It's pretty cheap and easy to install (it plugs into the expansion and 2 easy solder points).

Got a link to where we can buy one? Ive only ever seen it sold in australian dollars, curious about the price.

Edited by yarjr

I found a converter for the GG once at a thrift for a dollar. It was in a weird place in the store like the stocker didn't know what it was. I had never known about them and wasn't sure if it was what it was. I had also found a few complete MS games a couple years before. I think I played them just a couple times and sold it with a good size GG collection. I really like the way Sega always tried to make sure you could always play games after you bought the newer console.

Can you give me the dummies version. The sound is better I get that. So is this FM mod something that needs to be turned on and off regarding if game supports it? I've seen kits that included other mods and that confuses the issue.

Do most later US releases support FM even though we never got the thing?

There's a Spy Hunter clone I want also. Action Fighter I think. I don't really like Spy Hunter but it's one I had to own for some reason. This will be the same.

BTW, an update on my situation. I got a bonus at work and decided what the heck, pay the stupid high price and be done with it. I ordered the SMS2 off Ebay that I linked. I'll get it modded when it arrives and hook it up composite. It felt like Karma was with me on it. I was looking at it and expecting a tiny paycheck when the surprise bonus hit. You can't argue with fate. Either that or I'm just weak and trying to justify it ;)

When you get it, if the controls don't respond, check the traces for the ports on the board. This is a common area for cracks. It's an easy fix.

I hope you enjoy the SMS mkiker. It is definitely a system that was worthy of more love in its heyday. I'll second recommending Sonic 1. I won't say it is better than the Genesis game but it is very cool for an 8-bit platformer and worth playing if you admire that era of games.

• Like 1