IGNORED

What is the Worst Game you Ever Bought?

Classic Pac

X-Men for the NES was the worst I ever bought full retail back in the day. It still pisses me off just how bad they screwed up the concept. I also think it was the first time I became aware that in purchasing something from a legit store, I still managed to get robbed by a con-man.

Yeah I think X-Men would be one of the worst I've bought as well. Actually it was my brother who bought it since he was a huge comic book fan, but I was the one who 'played' it most. The game was so spastic, it was almost impossible to play.

I've always been very careful about games I bought, so I've never ended up with any duds. At worst I've ended up with games that I just didn't enjoy (Contra Shattered Soldier comes to mind).

Swordquest: Earthworld is the worst I ever bought. I've bought some stinkers that I regret, but now I look at those other purchases as kind of funny while the idea that I purchased Swordquest still pisses me off after 30 years. The only positive thing is that I was able to return and exchange it for a good game: E.T. Yeah, if you've bought into the popular culture "E.T. iz teh wurzt eVAR!" thing, then let that sink in for moment. I exchanged it for E.T. and I was freakin' overjoyed that I got something so fantastic instead of being stuck with Earthworld.

• Like 3

When I was a kid, the NES was my first system (got it in 87.) I didn't read any game magazines, and I had a stupid inclination not to buy any game that someone I knew already had (because I could just borrow theirs.) So whenever it came time for me to get a game, I was clueless what to get because I didn't know what was good outside of the obvious A-list titles, but didn't want to buy those because everyone already had them. I would also point out (and those who were around back then should remember) that the A-list titles were very commonly out of stock. When you're 12 years old, and your mom takes you to TRU or wherever and lets you pick out one game, you're gonna leave that store with a game, no matter what. So I inevitably ended up with a lot of crap. Of course, I played them anyway because they're what I have, and you can only play so much SMB and Zelda.

Here are some of the highlights:

- Super Pitfall. I've seen this mentioned as the worst NES game ever mentioned. It's a shame, because it could have been good. But it certainly wasn't.

- T&C Surf Designs Wood & Water Rage. Got this at the same time as Super Pitfall. Some family was visiting from the east coast. My uncle and much-older cousin took me to TRU and told me to pick out two games. And those two shitburgers are what I left with.

- Ikari Warriors. Not a bad game, but the NES port is a real POS. Very buggy, bad flicker. It did have 2-player co-op though, so my friend and I would play it anyway.

This one takes the cake:

- NES MAX controller. My mom took me to some store that was similar to Bed Bath & Beyond (but it was something else that doesn't exist anymore) and like everyone else they sold NES games back then, but obviously not the best selection. I really wasn't familiar with the games that they had, and my mom was kind of pressuring me to make a decision, so I ended up grabbing the MAX controller because it looked neat. I hated that controller and was very bitter that I chose to buy that instead of ANY shitty game, which would have at least given me SOME entertainment value. It didn't occur to me at 12 years old that I could have just boxed it back up and returned it.

I only ever had maybe 8 NES games, so the fact that I had so much crap was a real bummer.

• Like 2

I only ever had maybe 8 NES games, so the fact that I had so much crap was a real bummer.

You really had a first world crappy childhood, huh? Surprised you didn't wind up with X-Men, it really was the game I heard the most about in the day as far as disappointing buyers. Anyway, you reminded me of another disappointing early game purchase, Super Pitfall for the coco. I was so excited to get it and it was absolute poo.

If we're talking full priced games bought new BITD, I'd say Populus for the SNES. I had just gotten the system for Christmas of 91, was visiting my grandmother, and for my birthday (which is Feb 26th) she took me to a EB and let me buy a new game. There wasn't much out for the system, I had most of the games that were out, and recalled playing Populus for the PC and liking it, so I got it. Big mistake. Terrible port of that game. Since I had just turned 16, my spending money was limited. Luckily, a couple weeks later with birthday money from the folks I got Super Castlevania IV, which was a much better game in every sense of the word.

You really had a first world crappy childhood, huh? Surprised you didn't wind up with X-Men, it really was the game I heard the most about in the day as far as disappointing buyers. Anyway, you reminded me of another disappointing early game purchase, Super Pitfall for the coco. I was so excited to get it and it was absolute poo.

Hahah, no. I had a pretty good childhood. Definitely memorable. Just didn't have very good luck with Nintendo games.

Super Pitfall was a real shame because it could have been good. The graphics were pretty good and the level layout was nice. They just messed up the controls/physics and collision detection.

I know I answered this recently somewhere else on Atariage, but...

HellBoy (PS1)

Crusaders of Might & Magic (PS1) traded in to GameStop for a considerable loss the day after I bought it new elsewhere. It was so bad I didnt mind taking the financial hit.

• Like 1

RBI Baseball - Atari ST.

You hit a ball down the left or right field line and it only ends up as a single. In real baseball, that's usually a stand up double. Hit the ball into the outfield and you get thrown out at first. In real baseball, that's a stand up single. Obviously, it was programmed/designed by a non-baseball person. Why would anyone program a sports game that they know nothing about? Plain stupid. Sports games on the Atari ST were really pathetic unless it's soccer/football. When I saw garbage like this, it fuels software companies' excuse to not program sports games for the ST because they don't sell. Well of course they don't sell if they suck! Ugh. :mad:

If we're talking full priced games bought new BITD, I'd say Populus for the SNES. I had just gotten the system for Christmas of 91, was visiting my grandmother, and for my birthday (which is Feb 26th) she took me to a EB and let me buy a new game. There wasn't much out for the system, I had most of the games that were out, and recalled playing Populus for the PC and liking it, so I got it. Big mistake. Terrible port of that game. Since I had just turned 16, my spending money was limited. Luckily, a couple weeks later with birthday money from the folks I got Super Castlevania IV, which was a much better game in every sense of the word.

Damn, i thought this was a good port. I played this one to the end. Now the ps1 port of populous could be in the top ten of worst games ever.

Worst game I ever bought was Munchman for the C-64. Saw it at probably Babbage's in a mall, and the screenshots on the back made it look like it was going to be a pretty faithful repro of Pac-Man -- it had the same maze, a passable Pac-Man, passable ghosts...just different colors. (I think, for example, the maze was tan or gray in the screen shot.)

So I took it home, loaded it up, and saw that I'd been had. It looked NOTHING like the screen shots...AT ALL. The maze wasn't even close to the arcade layout. "Munchman" was just a greater-than/less-than symbol, the dots were periods, the energizers were (non-blinking) asterisks, and I don't even remember what the ghosts were...but every object was basically part of the default character set. There wasn't the slightest attempt at redefining any characters.

Anybody who sez the 2600 of Pac-Man was a rip-off or disappointment obviously never saw the C-64 Munchman. Heck, the TI-99/4A game of the same name was much more faithful!!