IGNORED

What is the Worst Game you Ever Bought?

Classic Pac

A terrible game. Terrible on EVERYTHING, really.

Now New Ghostbusters II by HAL Labs, that was a lot of fun; both entertaining and faithful to the series. Naturally, it never came to the United States...

I like the game for the most part, but the NES port is not very good.

Did the Gameboy version of New Ghostbusters II come out in the US?

Drakkhen on SNES.

I love that game, it's so weird. My friend had it, we played it quite a bit.

I need to give it another chance someday with a walkthrough. But at the time I just couldn't figure out what to do.

I also really enjoyed this game when it came out. Yes, a walkthrough does help. I had some information in a Nintendo guide -- the SNES one, I think -- and that was enough to get me through the game. At the time, I really enjoyed it, with the auto fighting, the 3D open world graphics, and the tough challenge. I'm not sure how it would hold up today, though. The ending of the game mentions a sequel, which DID come out, but it was called something else -- the name escapes me right now. And it's a totally different game.

Saw a CIB used copy at a now defunct video rental Cheetahmen2. Looked like good game since I loved cats. Couldn't stand playing it for more than a minute, it was so awful. Some months later while looking at random video game tidbits, I came across the bit that this game were actually unplayable due to a bug. Ended up selling it on eBay. The only good thing this game was that I earned more than what I paid for.

I did kind of wish I kept the game, the cart shell looked cool. Just fricking awful to play. Maybe seal the whole cart into lexan as a display sculpture to be looked at but not played with.

The worst game I've bought that I didn't know was going to be bad is definitely Roller Coaster Tycoon 3D. I love the RCT games a lot, and a portable one sounded amazing, but it turned out to be utter crap. Massive limits on how much stuff you can build, no customization options (not even renaming your rides!) or good scenery and terraforming tools, and no way to tell how guest in your park actually feel about anything. For a big fan of the games, this was a big slap in the face. I find it offensive they let this game have the brand name applied to it.

As for a game I knew would be bad, Tax Avoiders for the 2600. It's a godawful piece of crap that has no play value, and I think it even has completely stolen sound effects and animations from the Porky's game, but the whole concept of a terrible game about taxes made by actual accountants is just so stupidly funny that I had to have it. It seems like the kind of thing I'd just make up to make fun of the crappy games on the 2600!

Edited by Nesbroslash

Been far too many :-(

Roadblasters C64-based on a C+VG Preview of all things.
Xenocracy PS1-i loved my Space shooters and this looked promising, my god, it was wretched.
Command And Conq.on N64, sorry just unplayable for myself with N64 controller.
A8 wise i thought Rampage and Green Beret Stank, had to rebuy when i moved to the C64.
Xbox Bruce Lee, but then i only paid £3 and it was only purchased as Opa-Opa had put a comment out he wanted to see just how bad it was for next eps of Weekend Gamer TV show, so i made the contribution.

To be honest, I don't think Ive ever made a bad buy on games. I was never around when these retro systems came out. I always read reviews on games to see if it was worth it or not. But I have gotten horrible games as gifts before. I had finally gotten a GCN when "I was old enough to have one". My Grandmother used to game sometimes (yay go grandma), and she gave a GCN to my parents until I was old enough. She gave us some games, and they were good one's too. My dad and I headed out to the nearest Eb games to buy a game and my dad bought some crappy scooter game. I didnt really want it but my dad insisted. I got home, turned it on and played it for 5 minutes and never played it again. Infact, I still have the game today.

Ephemeral Fantasia for the PS2.
I don't know what drew me to getting this title but I did.
It's some horrible amalgamation of Majora's Mask (with 5 days instead of 3) with RPG elements and battles.
The game played bad, looked bad, and was just overall not fun in any way.
I got rid of it... but I kind of wish I still had it to show off the terribleness.
Ephemeral Fantasia wiki page

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

Ridge Racer DS stands out for me. Loved Ridge Racer 64 and this looked like a perfect conversion of it. The only problem was it was uncontrollable with the d-pad. Definitely a game I wish they had waited a generation on before porting it, since it demands analog control. I have all of maybe 10 minutes so far in it, coming back from time to time thinking it really couldn't be as bad as I remember.

Another game that disappointed me greatly was an early Game Boy Advance title called Top Gear GT Championship. Reviewed poorly, but sometimes the critics are overly harsh to racers and it didn't look bad in screenshots. Sadly, the reviews were overly kind, if anything.

Taboo The sixth sense (NES) what a stinker, even with other players this games is one of NESs biggest turd, what was Rare thinking.

Jaws (NES) gameplay fun for 11 seconds.

Godzilla (NES) rated by Total magazine 9% out of 100, I guess they were right.

Back to the future (all 3), man, Alice Adventure on VCS is better than this trilogy.

The NES did have a lot of awful games, I have to admit. Quality control for licensed games? Didn't happen.

Edited by high voltage

A terrible game. Terrible on EVERYTHING, really. I can't think of a single system that made this design tolerable to play. It's awkward and confusing and tedious and it just makes you hate life. I understand that the developer was trying to make the game true to the film, but it would have been a lot smarter to make it fun for the player.

Meh.. I have a good time with the Master System version. I've completed it multiple times and it doesn't take long to do so. I remember the NES version being a lot less polished, not as nice to look at or play, and far more buggy if I recall correctly. I think the SMS version is a pretty good game though.

Worst game I bought:

Alan Wake

Too linear, too generic, too predictable (finding much flashlights = lots of evil stuff coming up). Checkpoints where you get rid of stuff you have carefully collected.

Games I expected much more of:

1. Zelda four swords

I thought, Zelda cool!. But it's too 'arcade' for me. No adventure any more, just a linear, hack/slash game. It's almost a mario game (linear, 'levels') with Zelda characters. I really want to like this game and I try it every year or so :). Maybe this year, my son is old enough for co-op.

2. Metal Gear Solid Gameboy Color

Cool, a 2d Metal Gear like the old ones. Too bad they turned it into a level based game. Level based = Linear. No backtracking, no stuff you can go back to when you have advanced.

3. Resident Evil Revelations

I've read this should be fun like the old Resident Evil games. Level based (no!, 'episodes'), too linear.

Note to game companies: Transition from freedom to level-based = bad.

Edited by roland p

Definitely a game I wish they had waited a generation on before porting it, since it demands analog control.

It's a little bit awkward, but there's a simulated steering wheel controller on the touch screen.

I thought it was one of the better games on a console with very few racers...though I suppose that doesn't say much =)

Jaws (NES) gameplay fun for 11 seconds.

Jaws is one of the few LJN games I actually like. It reminds me a lot of those 2600 games like SeaQuest.

1. Zelda four swords

I thought, Zelda cool!. But it's too 'arcade' for me. No adventure any more, just a linear, hack/slash game. It's almost a mario game (linear, 'levels') with Zelda characters. I really want to like this game and I try it every year or so :). Maybe this year, my son is old enough for co-op.

You play Four Swords by yourself?? I assume it's either the GameCube version, or the DSi remake, since the original GBA one would be way too much work to play solo.

I've never tried it in single-player, but I imagine, like most good coop games, that it isn't quite as much fun.

3. Resident Evil Revelations

I've read this should be fun like the old Resident Evil games. Level based (no!, 'episodes'), too linear.

When was RE non-linear?

Oh yes. That one is awful. I paid $3 for it and couldn't even get enough enjoyment out of it to be worth that much. It's not even funny bad. It's just bad bad.

Really? I picked it up at MGC last year for $5 and I didn't think it was too bad for an early PS2 game. I read it was originally supposed to be a DC game which would explain the lackluster graphics.