IGNORED

That Guy Who Lied About High Scores

Stan

I found my old Dragster hack which prevents the engine from blowing up due to too high revs.

If you tap the clutch in the higher gears, you will easily improve over the the "perfect time" without tapping.

Dragster Automatic Shifting (Dragster Hack) (Thomas Jentzsch).zip

The Barnstorming and Dragster cases are quite interesting, and some nuanced arguments are being made on both sides here. It'd be a great case for a TAS (tool-assisted speedrun), or really just tool-assisted gameplay in general, to find out if there are any variables that interact in hidden ways.

But that insanely disproportionate Fathom score seems very damning to me -- how on earth could that even be possible?

You have every right to doubt my time, just like I have the right to doubt Todd's. My time occurred in 1980, so even I have some doubts.

You can doubt whatever and whoever you want. Jesus, Mohamed, moon landing, 9/11, global warming, ...

For me there as no evidences to doubt Todd. And enough to believe him.

Its all subjective.

But that insanely disproportionate Fathom score seems very damning to me -- how on earth could that even be possible?

Now, I have no idea here but is it possible the console was "mixed up" for that score? I know Fathom had SEVERAL releases, but I know little about the scoring system for that game so I don't know if other consoles differed in that respect. I mean, the guy has like 1000 records, I'm sure a few mix ups happened along the way...

Unfortunately steroids are pretty often true. :)

Yes and No

Steroids only make the best better. They were already the best of the best. Steroids just help surpass those pesky plateaues that nature sets on the human body. If you gave me or you a 6 month cycle of juice I bet we still couldn't hit one homerun, lol.

Yes and No

Steroids only make the best better. They were already the best of the best. Steroids just help surpass those pesky plateaues that nature sets on the human body. If you gave me or you a 6 month cycle of juice I bet we still couldn't hit one homerun, lol.

Well, the difference at the top level is minimal. So steroids make a big difference between #1 (who takes it all) and those close behind. Those who use them, betray those who don't. And even if everybody would take them, the winner would be not the best, but just the one who absorbs steroids best, has the best doctor or takes the biggest risks.

I am not interested in pharmacy competition.

• Like 2

Now, I have no idea here but is it possible the console was "mixed up" for that score? I know Fathom had SEVERAL releases, but I know little about the scoring system for that game so I don't know if other consoles differed in that respect. I mean, the guy has like 1000 records, I'm sure a few mix ups happened along the way...

I don't know either -- I'm pretty sure that the Intellivision version has a definite ending, but I don't know about the CV or TI versions. If all of those versions have a scoring limit, though, I'm not sure how a plausible explanation can be found for submitting a score that's so wildly in excess of what's even possible in the game.

I have to admit that I'm uncomfortable with the number of "oops" and fudge-factor issues that seem to come up: this one might have been a prototype, that one might have been a different console, this one might've been a coffee stain, and so forth. At best, it's evidence that the recordkeeping at TG was so scattershot that none of the records from that era should have any credibility except those that were videotaped and/or witnessed by a group.

• Like 1

:( Not something I want to do! But it's sort of impossible for it to be both ways, isn't it? Either the recordkeeping was solid and reliable and we can assume that all submissions were accurately documented -- which means that the submitter is the only person responsible for any funny business -- or, well, it wasn't.

In any event advances in the VCS tool-assisted scene would help answer a lot of these questions. TAS folks are unbelievably good at ferreting out every possible way to "game" a game using nothing but controller input.

I found my old Dragster hack which prevents the engine from blowing up due to too high revs.

If you tap the clutch in the higher gears, you will easily improve over the the "perfect time" without tapping.

The best I could do was 5.74 with this mod. BTW, there is no way I got 5.59... maybe 5.79.

Yes and No

Have to disagree there. Compare Fanco Columbu's pictures when he lifted in Italy to when he moved to CA. BIG difference. Steroids stack you up in no time if done right.

Have to disagree there. Compare Fanco Columbu's pictures when he lifted in Italy to when he moved to CA. BIG difference. Steroids stack you up in no time if done right.

He was already a bodybuilder, though, right? If so, then he already had those physical gifts. And, if the subject is performance enhancement (i.e. run a 4.3 40 yard dash, throw a ball 100 mpg, slow down a 250 lb pass rusher, hit a baseball 600 feet, etc.), someone off the streets wouldn't be able to do that out of the blue just from taking steroids.

Ive gotten better at some games over the years - I just finished Magic Carpet which I couldnt back in the 90's

Dude, that's quite an achieevment, assuming we are talking about Magic Carpet 1 on PC ! That was hell on Earth, especially last 10 levels, where on my-then-current machine I was lucky to get 3-5 fps most of the time...

I have personally met only one other person who finished that game, vast majority stopped Around Level 20, very few got to Idyrya (infamous water level 31), but not much further.

It is hands-down the most frustratingly hard game I have ever played and finished. My friend broke about 5 keyboards and mice on this game alone :)

You could spend 8 hrs (a full day ! imagine that in our age :) ) on a level (3-4 retries) and not beat it, since in last 15-20 levels you got castle only in later parts of the level, thus any creature could kill you even though you spent hour and half playing the level already...

Out of curiosity, did you ever play more frustratingly hard game than Magic Carpet 1 ?

I wont derail much further but I put a writeup on JS II since we spoke about it there:

http://www.jaguarsector.com/index.php?showtopic=33991

bottom line is MC 1 on the PC was alot easier than remember except lvl 49 which was unfair and brutal :)

Im playing MC 2 now...a bit of a bummer - the open ended brutal fights are replaced with step by step storylines..........

Steroids work or people wouldn't use them but if the average Joe takes them and doesn't work out then he will just get fat. From what I understand steroids work to reduce the time required for muscle recovery.

(Like I'd trust Wikipedia, the Wal-Mart of references...especially after that Donkey Kong incident from a few years ago...)

Donkey Kong was created when Shigeru Miyamoto was assigned by Nintendo to convert muslims, a religion that had been released to test audiences with poor results, into a religion that would appeal more to Americans. The result was a explosive bombing as that is what muslims do for fun. Sales of the nukes were brisk, with the religion becoming one of the most popular of the early 1980s. The religion itself was a large improvement over other religions of its time because of the butt sex. In 1981 Falcon created a legitimate clone of Muslims known as Jewish for distribution in afganistan.

Wow, that was an epic LOL. Thanks for the link ;)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/160934-donkey-kong-in-wikipedia/?p=1981427

Not to bash Wikipedia, but sometimes seemingly legit articles have misinformation in them, and whenever an unregistered user attemps to correct the information, the "edit police" revert the changes back to the original misinformation. One infamous example of this is the quote that states that NTSC or PAL games are 17.5% faster or slower. It isn't. NTSC is 20% faster than PAL. PAL is 16.67% slower than NTSC. Try telling Wikipedia that.

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=56240

Edited by stardust4ever