IGNORED

RETRO: The Multi-Format, Throw-Back Magazine - KICKSTARTER

• 3 weeks later...

To any of our subscribers over here on AA I wanted to just say that the summer lull is over and RETRO Issue #4 is wrapped and at the printers and should be then off to the mailhouse by the end of next week. Summer and E3 slowed the entire team down but we hope to be back on track for delivering the final two magazines of our inaugural year. Here is a sneak peek of what some of you can expect in your mailboxes soon:

http://issuu.com/markkaminski/docs/retro_issue_4_issuu/1

If you aren't yet receiving RETRO then you can subscribe here: http://www.readretro.com/subscribe Choose Option 1 if you want a print subscription and use promo code longliveretro for a nice discount.

Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just an FYI our next Kickstarter campaign is live. Help us make RETRO bigger and better. Adding some exciting new writers including possibly Garry Kitchen and Q*Bert's (Gottlieb and Williams) Warren Davis. Going to be a great new year with more pages and cool content!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/socalmike/retro-video-game-magazine-year-two

Thanks again everyone!

Mike

Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 1

Meh - I was part of the original kickstarter, but I haven't been really all that impressed with the content. I'm glad the magazine exists, but I've been less interested with each issue. Here is a snippet of some feedback that I (tried) to give about the RPG issue:

Well it only took 3 issues for me to come to the realization that I really don't have much in common with the writers of Retro. The RPG issue was basically a love letter to SNES RPGs which I don't really have anything against, but they just came later in my gaming life when I wasn't really going to give them and their childish look and feel a substantial amount of time.

I think of all the RPGs showcased in the favorites section there was only one that predated the NES. Even the guy who mentioned Wizardry mentioned the NES version - WTF!

Really all three issues have been very post 1985. It seems that all the pre "crash" stuff got written in the first two because you'd hardly think that the C64 or Intellivision existed while flipping through that thing.

• Like 4

Really all three issues have been very post 1985.

That's my take as well, I'm afraid. Still glad I backed the first Kickstarter, but most of the covered material (like most "retro" pop culture references) is after my time. I have literally never touched a SNES or N64, know their libraries entirely through playing emulators in the last decade, and barely played my little brother's NES while I still lived at home. I did like the dawn of VGA PC gaming (id/Apogee/3D Realms/Epic/etc... Commander Keen remains a favorite) but only because I was able to play those games in the office.

Yes, there are a lot of great SNES games. I was just a lot more interested in working, drinking, getting laid, and going to shows in 1991 than playing Nintendo. They make my favorite consoles now, but the golden age of videogames, for me, ended -- not began -- with the NES.

I won't be renewing, but anyone 5-10 years younger than me probably should.

• Like 3

Issue #4 is mailing and reported delivering around the USA

Hmmm over a month now since Parrothead's post & I havent rec'd #4. IIRR I'm on the 6 issue plan. Remember Mike, my address changed, & you acknowledged it.

I didnt care for the RPG issue (not an RPG fan in general) but I figured it'd be coming & tolerated it.

Edited by RJ

Hmmm over a month now since Parrothead's post & I havent rec'd #4. IIRR I'm on the 6 issue plan. Remember Mike, my address changed, & you acknowledged it.

I didnt care for the RPG issue (not an RPG fan in general) but I figured it'd be coming & tolerated it.

Did #4 happen to have shown up yet? Please email me your new address so I can be sure I changed and updated. Then I'll mail you another issue #4. In the future you can revise your own address by logging in at http://www.readretro.com/manageaccount. Let me know if you have trouble access this.

• Like 1

Did #4 happen to have shown up yet? Please email me your new address so I can be sure I changed and updated. Then I'll mail you another issue #4. In the future you can revise your own address by logging in at http://www.readretro.com/manageaccount. Let me know if you have trouble access this.

Oh, email to socalmike@gamegavel.com

• Like 1

Hey Everyone!

We are excited to announce that Warren Davis (Q*Bert) will be joining our contributor team here at RETRO Magazine. Warren is excited to write a recurring column about his first hand accounts working at Gottlieb, Williams, and Bally Midway during the glory days of the arcade industry.

If you haven't yet subscribed to RETRO, please consider doing so through our second year Kickstarter campaign which we are using to make a bigger and better magazine.

Here's a link to our campaign page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...azine-year-two

Thanks!!

Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 3