IGNORED

Did anybody else preorder one of the new consoles coming next month?

HuckleCat

Preorder curiosity...  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Did you preorder either of the new consoles from Sony/MS?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I was toying with the idea, but Drive Club, the only ps4 title I was even slightly interested in, was just delayed until sometime next year and that pretty much cemented my decision to stay away for now.

Wheel compatibility is a big question mark hanging over both consoles at the moment. I wouldn't want one of the new consoles until that's well sorted out, anyway. I have nearly as much in my wheel as I would have in a ps4, so making sure it works is pretty high on my list. I'm already assuming xbone won't support it, even though it would be an easy way to boost the Forza franchise.

Edited by Reaperman

Needs a "none of the above" button or an option to abstain. I have a Hyperkin Retron5 onpreorder; does that count? :grin:

8th gen consoles I currently own: Wii-U, Ouya. Other 8th gen consoles I plan on buying: zero.

For the record, I am extremely leery about buying either one of these consoles. Sony's "used games patent" made headlines last year, and Xbox practically had diarrhea-of-the-mouth when they publicly disclosed their treatment of used games prior to e3. My point is, both consoles have some fairly damning anti-consumer DRM technology built into them. Fearing public backlash, neither company is going to enable these "features" at launch, however there is no guarantee that either Sony or Microsoft will not enable them in the future via a firmware update. Launch titles will be safe, but titles released later in the console's life may not be. Quite frankly, I don't trust either. We will see how this generation plays out; with mobile and micro-consoles eroding sales plus Nintendo's Wii-U as the third wheel, it will be interesting to say the least.

Edited by stardust4ever

Neither one, actually. I just bought a Wii about a month ago and I'm sticking with the previous gen system. No handhelds, either. I have my Wii and Atari 2600, so that should tide me over for gaming for a good long time. Whoops, forgot...I do have an Xbox 360, which I should buy more games for at some point. :D

I didn't include the option for none because I was curious who did preorder one of the two systems, not who didn't.

I'm sort of on the fence now about the PS4 since the game Watch Dogs has been delayed till next year. It was pretty much the main (and only) draw for me. Now I'm just kinda left with Battlefield 4 for now, which is fine, I guess, but , you know. *shrug*

I guess it's.. a .. better blu-ray player than the one I have?

I think its hard to imagine what the next generation of console gaming will be like, so I'm going to wait. While the press interactions for both companies were mishandled, the intention around trying to decrease the sale of used games is to attract more developers to innovate and make new things for the consoles. Right now the game reseller gets big money and that's unattractive to a studio that has to almost mortgage itself to make Arkham City or Red Dead.

I think we will see some things come out that will make us want one of these consoles at some point AND will explain why the poorly explained requirements were suggested in the first place. However, until then I'm content to wait and play the huge library of unplayed games that I already own.

• Like 2

the intention around trying to decrease the sale of used games is to attract more developers to innovate and make new things for the consoles. Right now the game reseller gets big money and that's unattractive to a studio that has to almost mortgage itself to make Arkham City or Red Dead.

I think we will see some things come out that will make us want one of these consoles at some point AND will explain why the poorly explained requirements were suggested in the first place.

I agree with this.

I do have to say that I'm one of those people that have a big problem with the DRM stuff, however, it has been the game publishers and developers that have been calling for this moreso than MS or Sony.

So, yeah, you're right.

Interesting indeed.

It does prompt more than a few "why" questions though.

While I'm not suprised that Sony was possibly also considering a DRM "thing", I am curious as to why not including this would set back XBL and PSN so badly. One would think that not constantly checking the validity of games ownership for single player sessions as well as less people downloading hundreds of gigs of data at all times for digital downloads would only improve network stability. I don't understand how subtracting features "fucks everything up" for either company from a network standpoint.

I'm also doubtful of his explanation of the delay of Watch Dogs. He implies this only affects the Xbone and PS4, yet the 360 and PS3 versions are also delayed. Why not release the previous generations versions first in hopes to get those extra sales from either some "upgrade program" or those that would buy another copy? From a business standpoint, his reason makes no sense.

As for the Call of Duty framerate/refresh issue, well, when did this video come out? The reason I ask is that more than a few sites have come forward recently and explained in technical wizard tongues that I can't understand that this issue is exclusively due to the memory differences between the consoles. They also imply that this may be a common occurance for other cross-release titles. In fact, here's one of those sites with the crazy explanations of this here. This same site also names a Sony exec that flat out trumpets that Ghosts does run at 1080 on the PS4. Why would the guy set up a PR nightmare for both Sony and Activision if this was not true?

I don't know, this is something to think about, however. The video does imply that these things are all rectified via patches, so this will likely be cleared up for both systems pretty quickly.

I think the only 'rumor' in this video that I believe is that the $10 next gen upgrade games may require keeping the previous gen game disc in the drive. It's a logical copy protection if you download the next gen version for $10 and use the previous gen disc to validate ownership.

The rest seem like fabricated rumors from xbone fanboys desperately trying to level the playing field.

Huckle's comments make more sense and follow the info that's been floating around lately. Sony has also stated that the PS4 will play retail games in offline mode without a day one patch. ie Launch day PS4s do not need a firmware update to undo any system-wide DRM.

Well, it looks like the PS4's day one patch addressing DRM similar to the Xbone's original DRM stance has been debunked, as Shacknews has reported:

"You'll need to download a 300MB patch to access most of PlayStation 4's features. However, you'll still be able to play games out of the box. With over a million consoles scheduled to go out on day one, there's always a chance that PlayStation Network servers may be hammered. Thankfully, you'll still be able to play games and have the update the download in the background."

Here.

Now, this just means that the patch does not correct it. I mean, for all we know Sony may have just fixed this DRM thing before production. On that note, for all we know Sony never had the plan for DRM in the first place. (This is something none of us may ever know.)

However, it does mean that the "biggest news" rumor of this guys video is bullshit.

I have never heard of "ReviewtechUSA" until xg4 posted that video. I gotta say, if none of his "rumors from very very reliable sources" turns out to be true, I will forever pass this guys words as being very very unreliable.

One would think that not constantly checking the validity of games ownership for single player sessions as well as less people downloading hundreds of gigs of data at all times for digital downloads would only improve network stability. I don't understand how subtracting features "fucks everything up" for either company from a network standpoint.

I'm also doubtful of his explanation of the delay of Watch Dogs. He implies this only affects the Xbone and PS4, yet the 360 and PS3 versions are also delayed. Why not release the previous generations versions first in hopes to get those extra sales from either some "upgrade program" or those that would buy another copy? From a business standpoint, his reason makes no sense.

Your first point about the networks is interesting, but I think it is the opposite of how you are thinking about it. Now they will have to check for a valid Gold gamertag / legit copy of the game whereas the DRM restriction and always online requirement made it so that the player's validity and ability to play was handled before they even started the game.

Basic rule of technology is to champion your newest stuff, or else people will realize that they don't really want it and the old stuff is just fine :)

No but I pre-ordered endless snow! Money well spent!

I microbrew my own snow.

As for the PS4 and X-Box One Eighty I'll get them if they ever have a game i want to play that I can't get on another system. Right now the only game I see that I'd want to play is The Pinball Arcade on PS4 and I can already play that elsewhere.

The logic is that releasing a game like that for the prior gen console will result in lower sales for the prior gen iteration as people hold off for the next gen version, and lower sales for the next gen version as people realize when it comes out that they really didn't want it in the first place. I mean, why would they want a remake of a game they could have bought months ago for their existing system?

I still find myself unable to care about the next gen of consoles. I just haven't seen anything worth giving a damn about. Maybe it will change in the future, but right now I can't recall ever caring less about modern and future gaming than I currently do.

• Like 1

The logic is that releasing a game like that for the prior gen console will result in lower sales for the prior gen iteration as people hold off for the next gen version, and lower sales for the next gen version as people realize when it comes out that they really didn't want it in the first place. I mean, why would they want a remake of a game they could have bought months ago for their existing system?

What you're saying does make sense, but only in a world where everyone is "practical" with their purchases. This is not the case.

See, everyone who wants the game is going to buy it, but by releasing the previous gen first, you take advantage of those who have no patience. The ones who "gotta get it now". That's an extra sale that would not have been there before, regardless of the system. I promise you, this is the reason that CoD: Ghosts, Assassins Creed: Black Flag, Battlefield 4, and (likely) Grand Theft Auto 5 have all hit up the current gen first.

The smartest play is what Rockstar is (likely) doing with GTA5. They're taking adavntage of the Xmas "gotta haves". While it's not confirmed yet, when the "Super duper badass extra crispy" version comes out in the spring for the PC and (likely) PS4 and XBone, there's going to be way more than a few upgrade options and double purchases going on. As a publisher, you'd rake it in. All those copies traded in are Gamestops problem.

Watch Dogs could take advantage of this, but they're not. I think this gives more likelyhood that they are indeed fixing up bugs and adding polish on all platforms as they stated, and not due to the rumored online issues that only 2 of the platforms are accused of having by this video.

That rule of thought does not apply to us folks! :lolblue:

Definitely applies to me. I've never needed the best. Even back in the day, too! I found myself playing my SNES and Genesis (the two consoles I owned at this point, not sure whatever happened to the Atari) tons more than my newly gifted N64. When I finally got a PS1 in 2000, I mostly played Namco compilations, although I didn't shun it in the least. I do admit to playing a lot of PS2 and Xbox, but not as much as Link to the Past or Mario Kart 64, and with those I was more than content to ignore the release of the Wii, PS3, and the 360. I do plan on one day getting the latter two (just last year got the Wii), but there's no point for me in being in the current gen.

I had a PS4 preordered, but decided a while back to cancel it and get my money back. There just wasn't enough to truly sell me on it at launch. The very next day, Ubisoft announced Watch Dogs was delayed (one of two games I was going to purchase), so now I'm happy I did cancel.

I waited over 2 years to finally buy a PS3, and it worked out very nicely for me. I think giving PS4 six months or a year will be a good idea too.

• Like 1

I was hyped up at first but after seeing demos and stuff I no longer am. Maybe its because I have a good PC and that the Xbox One looks like Windows 8 which is what I already have. I don't know.

They are basically high end PC's. They look better but not THAT much better than current consoles. I notice really fantastic effects and graphics but it doesn't FEEL like its next generation. Its kind of like enhanced current generation stuff.

Are they really next generation consoles? Somehow right now it doesn't feel that way. Maybe in another year or so.

I still have a PS4 pre-ordered and I'll be sticking with it. Mainly because I want to download PS Plus freebies every month and not miss out on them.