IGNORED

Did anybody else preorder one of the new consoles coming next month?

HuckleCat

Preorder curiosity...  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Did you preorder either of the new consoles from Sony/MS?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Why no "neither option" or at least a "both" option? I didn't vote cause I didn't preorder.

Consoles are rarely, well, rare on launch. But there are a few exceptions. PS2 (I don't believe was rare at first, but after a couple of days, it took a month's leave from local store shelves) and Wii (really just a hype building exercise, and worked quiet well for Nintendo) And BOTH of those I purchased day one... no pre order, no waiting for a midnight release, nothiing. Just when I happened to get up "oh yeah, the new thing came out" go to the store, buy it, set it up for resell on ebay (cause I like a more mature system before buying one for me) always get a little bit of money, and with the PS2, people went crazy and I made a couple grand on it...

that said, I still don't preorder, Why? Just go get one. And there's not even rumors of either one being hard to produce, chip shortages, earthquakes in wherever, or anything like that. I'll get a PS4 day one to resell, I doubt the XB one will be worth it....and the general feel I get everywhere is about a third of people want the one, while two thirds want the PS4 (and a chunk of the one sales are probably people actually getting both tbh, and if I had enough, that's what I'd do)

• Like 1

I'll get a PS4 day one to resell,

Why would people buy from you when they can as you say...."Just go get one"

You're silly, it took me 4 months to find a 360 after launch, and believe me, I tried to "Just go get one" the entire time! I only got it as soon as I did because I started using the console trackers people started up at the time because the consoles would sell out so quick. I did luck into a PS3 and sold it for about $180 more than I paid for it, but that was because I happened to be in Best Buy the minute they announced they had some for sale, they sold out of those in like 5 minutes. Just go get one.....funny.

Less than a month to go!! I'm getting excited! Glad I pre-ordered both.

I'll probably get a PS4 eventually but I never buy a console at launch since most launch titles don't interest me. It's also nice to wait until they work the bugs out of the system. I usually get a system after it has been out a year or so and has some good games going.

• Like 3

The only one that remotely interests me is the Wii-U. As far as next-gen stuff goes, I'll be content getting the same - or better - performance from the PC ports.

Eventually, after (probably several) price cuts, and assuming the xbox one doesn't vastly improve while the ps4 loses features, I might pick up a PS4. And maybe an xbox one, for completeness' sake, eventually.

Edited by Rex Dart

Definitely applies to me.

I think you misinterpreted my statement. The wording of the post I originally quoted was ambiguous I'll admit. I meant the status quo that newer is better does not apply to the vast majority of forum members here. Catch-22 is if the majority of consumers were happy with old tech, console gaming would never have advanced beyond the crash of '83. It would have been a sad day if the all the golden 8-bit, 16-bit, and later 3D consoles had never existed. Also if nobody ever resold their old hardware, retrogaming as a hobby wouldn't even exist! The fact that we are a minority in this modern world of facebook and mobile apps, is the only thing keeping the dwindling stockpile of still functional hardware accessible. Look at NES/SNES: retro games are the new hipster trend, and collector prices are skyrocketing as a result.

Edited by stardust4ever

As for the Call of Duty framerate/refresh issue, well, when did this video come out? The reason I ask is that more than a few sites have come forward recently and explained in technical wizard tongues that I can't understand that this issue is exclusively due to the memory differences between the consoles. They also imply that this may be a common occurance for other cross-release titles. In fact, here's one of those sites with the crazy explanations of this here. This same site also names a Sony exec that flat out trumpets that Ghosts does run at 1080 on the PS4. Why would the guy set up a PR nightmare for both Sony and Activision if this was not true?

Confirmation today from IW that the PS4 runs CoD:Ghosts at native 1080p and the xbone is upscaled from 720p.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rqqa5o

Reviewtech :thumbsdown:

Programmers will get around the Xbox Ones "shortcomings" if you can even call it that within the year just like it was with the PS3. I tend to simply call it "differences" because I highly doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference IMO unless you have a crappy studio who doesn't care.

Not that I have to defend Microsoft. Thats the last thing I can ever do.

I heard the next iPhone was going to include a 1080p screen, which makes little sense to me since like 4 or 5 years ago I was told 1080p only matters on a 46 inch screen or more. All these tech links make my head hurt. Does anyone just play games and form their own opinion anymore?

Personalviewtech :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Programmers will get around the Xbox Ones "shortcomings" if you can even call it that within the year just like it was with the PS3. I tend to simply call it "differences" because I highly doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference IMO unless you have a crappy studio who doesn't care.

Not that I have to defend Microsoft. Thats the last thing I can ever do.

Programmers will also find ways to optimize future games for PS4 hardware, so the PS4 should continue to improve while xbone struggles to keep pace... at least for a while.

I'm sick of hearing about all the specs and benchmarking too but specs are a big factor for early adopters. With so many multi-platform games, similar hardware, and no backwards compatbility on either console it's logical to purchase the system that offers the best performance.

Edited by boog

it's logical to purchase the system that offers the best performance.

Except that the Wii was outselling the 360 and the PS3 3 to 1 and it had the worst performance of the three.

I think those tech articles are for like a tiny percentage of gamers, that is, the ones that actually care about specs and not games.

• Like 1

I think storage will be an issue unless you simply upgrade yourself:

http://kotaku.com/next-gen-games-will-fill-our-new-consoles-hard-drives-1457593456

It seems 500GB is standard for XboxOne and Ps4 with external drives only on XboxOne and internal drives only for PS4.

500GB definitely won't be enough over time.

• 2 weeks later...

I preordered a PS4 and two Xbox Ones. Even if I didn't have to do the latter for book writing purposes, I would have still bought one. Of course I'm interested in the games, but I'm also excited about not only all the media features, but the fact that getting in and out of the gameplay should be considerably faster as well, which includes the lack of waiting around for updates.

Why would people buy from you when they can as you say...."Just go get one"

You're silly, it took me 4 months to find a 360 after launch, and believe me, I tried to "Just go get one" the entire time! I only got it as soon as I did because I started using the console trackers people started up at the time because the consoles would sell out so quick. I did luck into a PS3 and sold it for about $180 more than I paid for it, but that was because I happened to be in Best Buy the minute they announced they had some for sale, they sold out of those in like 5 minutes. Just go get one.....funny.

Less than a month to go!! I'm getting excited! Glad I pre-ordered both.

Because where you live makes a difference. People in my neck of the woods will indeed be able to go get one. As they did with the 360 (whihch I not only bought at launch and sold, for profit, I did several times the first two months) For every place it may be rare, there's places like this where it'll sit on shelves, and those of us who are "silly" take advantage of that and make some money.

On the 360, I quit after two months because the ebay saturation got high enough I only pulled like $20 on the last console.

As I said, the ONLY consoles that were remotely rare where I live, were the PS2, which i got day one, and the Wii, which I also got day one.

Ahh...the advantages of living in a backwoods shitty hick town hellhole. They are few and far between, but they are there.

Edited by Video

Ahh...the advantages of living in a backwoods shitty hick town hellhole. They are few and far between, but they are there.

Right. I think it safe to say most people don't live in a backwoods shitty hick town, and not all backwoods shitty hick towns are gonna have the latest because there are plenty of those here in GA, and they didn't have the PS3 or the 360 when they launched (believe me I called around) so the suggestion to just go get one seems like pretty silly advice if just for the reason you brought up , the opportunity is "few and far between".

In other news...."Your Amazon.com order of "PlayStation 4: Launch Edition" has shipped!"

WOOT!!

I couldn't believe this.... Amazon has been "Sold Out" of PS4's for a couple months now, saying only "Sign Up To Be Notified When This Product Becomes Available".

Well, tonight, on PS4 launch night, I get an Email from Amazon telling me that at 12:01am, they have a limited number of PS4's available for sale BUT ONLY if you also buy a Kindle Fire. Total Price for the package: $599.99

Imagine that... a couple of warehouse workers stumble across some buried boxes in a back corner and say "Well, look at this... we got some extra PS4's. Hey, lets move some of them Kindles that no one is buying". :lolblue:

I mean, if you want to make people buy a bundle, fine, make them add a couple games and an accessory to their order. But to force them to buy a totally unrelated product for $200??? That seems pretty low for Amazon to pull.

I'm willing to bet that Amazon is sitting on a lot of PS4's and will use them over the next couple weeks to make some sales.

I'm willing to bet that Amazon is sitting on a lot of PS4's and will use them over the next couple weeks to make some sales.

It won't just be Amazon. Don't you remember all the bundles that you could get when the Wii, 360 and PS3 came out? I had to buy a bundle to get the Wii at launch (Wal Mart). It was around $500 and came with (I think) $20 Wii Store card, an extra controller and like 3 or 4 games. Also had to buy a bundle when I got my first 360 (Toy R us). It was either a bundle, or nothing. That's how they get ya!

Ugg, bundles, how I loathed thee! I remember when Wii came out the only ones available were $700 and included a slew of crapware launch games I did not want. Stuff like Madden, FIFA, Happy Feet, and Sponge Bob. Nothing against Madden and FIFA but I generally loathe sports games. And forget the movie cash ins. I'm not buying games I have no desire to play. Yuk! :razz:

I finally managed to snag a Wii in early December after standing in line at WalMart for 9-and-a-half hours. The Wiis went on sale at 8:00am. I arrived at 11:45pm and was number 7 out of 9. I missed my 8:00 class but I didn't care; at least I finally got one. I was in a hurry to get the hell out of Walmart so I picked up some games at F.Y.E. on my way back to the dorm. Got Sonic and the Secret Rings, Raving Rabbids, Wario Ware, Exite Truck, and some other racing game I've since forgot the name of. None of them were really excellent games on the caliber of say Mario, but along with Wii Sports they managed to tide me through the usual post-launch game famine until Super Paper Mario, Mario Party 8, and others arrived later that spring. :cool:

Edited by stardust4ever

Got Sonic and the Secret Rings, Raving Rabbids, Wario Ware, Exite Truck, and some other racing game I've since forgot the name of. None of them were really excellent games.

This is exactly why I stay a generation behind. Not a single one of those games I want to play, assuming the racing game isn't Mario Kart Wii. :P

I couldn't believe this.... Amazon has been "Sold Out" of PS4's for a couple months now, saying only "Sign Up To Be Notified When This Product Becomes Available".

Well, tonight, on PS4 launch night, I get an Email from Amazon telling me that at 12:01am, they have a limited number of PS4's available for sale BUT ONLY if you also buy a Kindle Fire. Total Price for the package: $599.99

Imagine that... a couple of warehouse workers stumble across some buried boxes in a back corner and say "Well, look at this... we got some extra PS4's. Hey, lets move some of them Kindles that no one is buying". :lolblue:

I mean, if you want to make people buy a bundle, fine, make them add a couple games and an accessory to their order. But to force them to buy a totally unrelated product for $200??? That seems pretty low for Amazon to pull.

I saw the same thing. And though I already had a preorder from Walmart for December, went ahead and grabbed one anyway. I even got it before midnight. I was on the site and it didn't say in stock, but there was a link that said 1 new. No sooner then I completed checkout, I noticed that other editions were "in stock" which was great. I immediately cancelled the previous order and added a new one...this time for the console only!

That most upsetting part is Walmart will not allow me to cancel my order. This thing has been a nightmare with them. When I placed the preorder several weeks ago, they tried to put a hold on my card. They ended up not charging me. The next week, they did it again. I called them and asked them why they were charging me when it wasn't shipping for another month. "To make sure funds are available" or something like that was the answer I got. I'm pretty sure they didn't actually end up putting the charge through though.

Assuming that it the case, I'll either deny the charge when they try it again, ask a co-worker if they want to buy it, work a deal out with my nephew to see if he wants it.

Anyway, I won't have it on launch day, but that's okay. With my Prime membership, it should be here by Tuesday.

The funny thing? I don't plan on playing much! I'll be using the free month of PS Plus to download "stuff" for the PS3, PS Vitia, PSP first. :)

It won't just be Amazon. Don't you remember all the bundles that you could get when the Wii, 360 and PS3 came out? I had to buy a bundle to get the Wii at launch (Wal Mart). It was around $500 and came with (I think) $20 Wii Store card, an extra controller and like 3 or 4 games. Also had to buy a bundle when I got my first 360 (Toy R us). It was either a bundle, or nothing. That's how they get ya!

Yer 100% right.

The only time I actually bought a bundle was at EB Games when the PS2 launched. They had an extra controller and 2 game minimum in order to purchase a PS2. They were the only store in town that had the systems in stock and it was either buy the bundle or go without.

Guess I got very lucky with the Wii, Xbox360, and PS3 as I found the systems in the wild on launch day and purchased only what I wanted to purchase.

Another method stores use is to put a system or two out every day so they get people constantly coming back into the store to see if any new systems are on the shelves and hopefully they'll buy other items while in the store checking.

My only complaint with what Amazon did is putting a totally unrelated product in the bundle that adds $200 to the cost.

Edited by Mendon

My only complaint with what Amazon did is putting a totally unrelated product in the bundle that adds $200 to the cost.

They are also sending out Kindle discount codes for people who pre-ordered.

I don't blame them. The game console for the kids, the Kindle for the wife. You're set for the holiday and you save a little.

At least they are giving a bit of a discount. Unlike most bundles. Many of those video games bundles at launch don't actually save you a dime when you add up the retail cost of the items included. That $500 Wii I bought, included $500 worth of stuff.

UPS is late today!!