IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

There can't be many second party titles before the infamous crash. Second party is company who develop games which are then published by first party (console maker) One good example are the Pokemon series. Game Freak developed them and Nintendo published them.

There can't be many second party titles before the infamous crash. Second party is company who develop games which are then published by first party (console maker) One good example are the Pokemon series. Game Freak developed them and Nintendo published them.

That would mean that many of the Mattel games are 2nd party since Aph developed many of them.

OK, I have some significant news. While this will likely be irrelevant to the target audience of casual consumer, this will certainly impact hardcore fans and collectors of both the Intellivision and ColecoVision, so you'll want to adjust any preorders accordingly.

Unfortunately, the final versions of both controllers, for whatever reason, are not electrically compatible with the originals. This means that you can't use original controllers on either Flashback, and these will NOT be a source of replacement controllers for original consoles despite the fact that in all other ways these function exactly the same as the originals.

Further, there will NOT be a full complement of overlays in the box. For the Intellivision Flashback, all editions will include 10 game overlays, with a special version for Sam's Club containing a total of 15 game overlays. All 60 game overlays will be shown in the black and white manual as a "how to play" along with simple game descriptions. For the ColecoVision Flashback, all editions will include 4 game overlays, with an additional 4 (for a total of 8 in the Sam's Club version. The manual will not have pictures of any overlays in it, but does contain relatively detailed summaries of how to play (I wrote those myself and gave as much detail as possible in the space provided). Of the 4 (or 8 ColecoVision overlays, they will have the name of the game on the pull tab.

Until I get further clarification, assume that the Dollar General version has the standard set of overlays, but one extra bonus game. So that means that there are three possible versions of both the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks at retail: standard, Sam's Club with extra overlays, and Dollar General with one extra game.

Obviously, as a fellow collector, I'm most disappointed by these no longer being a source of replacement controllers. The overlays would have been nice from a collecting standpoint and cool factor, but are not as dramatic a loss. To keep things in perspective, and outside of the frustration from there being three different editions of each product, nothing else has changed, and again, by all reports to date, both the emulation and the actual authenticity of the controllers are spot on.

Unfortunately, the final versions of both controllers, for whatever reason, are not electrically compatible with the originals. This means that you can't use original controllers on either Flashback, and these will NOT be a source of replacement controllers for original consoles despite the fact that in all other ways these function exactly the same as the originals.

I am now glad I did not preorder as I have no need to buy one now. The Intellivision one anyway. I still may buy the other three, Coleco, Atari and the Sega as I do not have any collection of games for these and this is a cheap way to explore them.

• Like 1

I still may buy the other three, Coleco, Atari and the Sega as I do not have any collection of games for these and this is a cheap way to explore them.

That's about how I feel. I was thinking about picking up a Colecovision before these were announced. I think for $40, if the quality of the emualtion is good, it'll make a good substitute for "the real thing".

I already have an Intellivision in good working order with a substantial collection of carts, though, so I'm not so sure I'll pick up an Inty FB.

Ah, yeah, I probably still will...

Bill. Have you seen the inside of one of the intv flashback controllers? Are they still made from that printed plastic?

Why are they not compatible electrically? The pins or whatever are not wired the same?

What will happen if we still try using an original controller on flashback or Viva versa?

Will we fry or brick something?

I'm still picking up a couple anyway.

Bill. Have you seen the inside of one of the intv flashback controllers? Are they still made from that printed plastic?

Why are they not compatible electrically? The pins or whatever are not wired the same?

What will happen if we still try using an original controller on flashback or Viva versa?

Will we fry or brick something?

I'm still picking up a couple anyway.

I have not seen one myself (sounds like I'll get units in August). I was first alerted to the incompatibility yesterday by Intellivision Productions, who did the testing with their Intellivision II. I then confirmed the incompatibility with AtGames. Intellivision Productions made no mention of frying anything, so I can assume that there's no specific harm in doing so, though obviously that's not a guarantee. I did ask AtGames to add verbiage to the manuals to indicate the lack of compatibility between their platform and the original platform, which they've agreed to add.

Just curious, would that be a Good Thing or a Bad Thing? Seems to me the original design wasn't particularly sturdy. A change wouldn't be terrible.

Maybe something could be changed to make it compatible is what I was thinking. So it would be good if it was similar to original. But I fear it may be drastically different.

• Like 1

that's a little annoying to be releasing different versions to different retailers. I get why they do it. Just find it a little scummy. Just release one version with 15 sets of overlays and a bonus game to all retailers and call it a day.

Yeah, now I have to join Sam's club.

Yeah, I don't know if "scummy" is the right word. "Just business" are probably the right words. It doesn't make it any less frustrating, though.

I haven't used the controllers myself, but all reports, including from Intellivision Productions, is that they "look and feel and behave like the originals" from the original Master Component. I assume they used modern techniques to achieve that, though.

Yeah, I don't know if "scummy" is the right word. "Just business" are probably the right words. It doesn't make it any less frustrating, though.

I haven't used the controllers myself, but all reports, including from Intellivision Productions, is that they "look and feel and behave like the originals" from the original Master Component. I assume they used modern techniques to achieve that, though.

I'll stick with scummy. essentially if I want the "full package" ATGames are making me shell out for 2 units. That's scummy biz in my book.

I myself wouldn't go as far to say scummy. I doubt they took collectors into account. Too small of a percentage of buyers.

A lot of retail items are store specific. Games and action figures are real big in this.