IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

Bill (or anyone), can you confirm which of these games are included in the Intellivision Flashback?

Kool-Aid Man
Masters of the Universe
Microsurgeon
Super Cobra
Tower of Doom
Tutankham
Thanks.

There are no third party or licensed games. You're good to go with Tower of Doom and other first party adventure/RPG games.

just a reminder to everyone.... make sure to show your appreciation and say thanks to bill..... im pretty sure his time and responses are on his own dime and done because he appreciates us classic addicts!

thanks a bunch bill.... cant wait to get my hands on an intv and coleco flashback in october!

• Like 10

just a reminder to everyone.... make sure to show your appreciation and say thanks to bill..... im pretty sure his time and responses are on his own dime and done because he appreciates us classic addicts!

thanks a bunch bill.... cant wait to get my hands on an intv and coleco flashback in october!

Agreed. Thanks Bill! Always looking forward to your next update. :)

Thanks for the business and the plug ;-) I am glad to hear from atariage members who are using and enjoying my work on classic consoles.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions or problems.

To make this an on-topic post I will add that I have 3 Intellivision Flashbacks on pre-order (one to play one for the collection and maybe one to sell). I also have 2 of the colecovision system on order as well. Really looking forward to these new flashback consoles.

• Like 1

OK, some further updates. There will only be the two special editions at the two aforementioned retailers. So there will only be three total variations if you include the standard edition.

AtGames was considering including the full set of overlays, but thought it would be too messy for the consumer to deal with 120 overlays (60x2) or more. They may possibly sell a complete set separately once their ecommerce site is up and running (or include a larger set in future iterations of the product), though that's only a thought at the moment. As we've discussed here, there are maybe in the upper hundreds to low thousands of the hardcore in our community who would spring for something like that, so it will probably come down to if the economics of it work out.

Well, I'd totally buy the complete set from AtGames or anyone else willing to see them!

The TRON Deadly Discs variant that was on the "xx-in-1" handhelds was a reprogrammed version (NES on a chip, like all those games). The games were all programmed by TechnoSource, who created the all-in-ones.

There are folks out there who do a lot of digging in the unlicensed Famicom/Famiclone software scene, and their research pointed to Nice Code Software, a Xi'an-based developer, as the outfit who programmed the NOAC Intellivision remakes for Techno Source. There's no solid evidence, but (as noted at the linked page) Nice Code's own releases include hacks of the NOAC Intellivision games that were on Techno Source's plug-n-play systems. Perhaps they had and could hack them because they were the ones who wrote them in the first place--such is the thinking, at least.

I wonder whose emulator they are using and if they are are legally using it?

AtGames' products run on their own processors. Even if we assume that the Intellivision Flashback will be using the same AtGames ARM implementation (the Titan chip) which they have used on their Atari Flashbacks, is there any Intellivision emulator out there for the ARM architecture? Well, I don't know if the DS version of Intellivision Lives! is emulation-based, but if it is, that's an emulator by Intellivision Productions, which is working with AtGames on the Flashback anyway. So, if it were being borrowed/cannibalized, it would be with permission. And if it's the case that the Intellivision Flashback uses a completely different, new AtGames chip, then there's definitely no possibility of someone already having written an Intellivision emulator for it.

I've been pondering the retailer-specific variants that the ColecoVision and Intellivision Flashbacks will be having, specifically how they will be made. It's easy enough to do the Sam's Club one (just put the additional overlays into the box), but for the Dollar General edition, is that an actual separate ROM image, different from the one used in the non-exclusive variants? What's a more economical way to produce such a variant:

- burn a separate run of ROMs with an image that includes the extra game; or,

- use only one run of ROMs (all with the extra game), and use a jumper installed to the PCB on the manufacturing line to distinguish between the Dollar General edition and the standard edition. For example, "with jumper" enables the extra game in the menu, and "no jumper" leaves it out.

If the latter is the method used, then every unit actually has the extra game, and those in the know can just "transform" their standard edition into the Dollar General edition with a bit of unscrewing. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Does my hypothesis even make sense?

onmode-ky

Edited by onmode-ky

Just for clarification, you incorrectly quoted me as asking about what emulator they are using. That question was from someone else.

The information I've posted in this thread has come directly from Keith Robinson. Yes, Intellivision Productions supplied AT Games with the ROMs, sample hardware (to use in designing / copying the system), and software. It's my understanding that the emulator is based in the Intellivision Lives emulation, but customized to run on the AT Games hardware.

I wasn't familiar with Nice Code. Keith told me that Techno Source did the programming, but I guess he misspoke.

I bet you're right concerning the jumper. That would make more sense than two separate designs / ROMs.

There are folks out there who do a lot of digging in the unlicensed Famicom/Famiclone software scene, and their research pointed to Nice Code Software, a Xi'an-based developer, as the outfit who programmed the NOAC Intellivision remakes for Techno Source. There's no solid evidence, but (as noted at the linked page) Nice Code's own releases include hacks of the NOAC Intellivision games that were on Techno Source's plug-n-play systems. Perhaps they had and could hack them because they were the ones who wrote them in the first place--such is the thinking, at least.

AtGames' products run on their own processors. Even if we assume that the Intellivision Flashback will be using the same AtGames ARM implementation (the Titan chip) which they have used on their Atari Flashbacks, is there any Intellivision emulator out there for the ARM architecture? Well, I don't know if the DS version of Intellivision Lives! is emulation-based, but if it is, that's an emulator by Intellivision Productions, which is working with AtGames on the Flashback anyway. So, if it were being borrowed/cannibalized, it would be with permission. And if it's the case that the Intellivision Flashback uses a completely different, new AtGames chip, then there's definitely no possibility of someone already having written an Intellivision emulator for it.

I've been pondering the retailer-specific variants that the ColecoVision and Intellivision Flashbacks will be having, specifically how they will be made. It's easy enough to do the Sam's Club one (just put the additional overlays into the box), but for the Dollar General edition, is that an actual separate ROM image, different from the one used in the non-exclusive variants? What's a more economical way to produce such a variant:

- use only one run of ROMs (all with the extra game), and use a jumper installed to the PCB on the manufacturing line to distinguish between the Dollar General edition and the standard edition. For example, "with jumper" enables the extra game in the menu, and "no jumper" leaves it out.

If the latter is the method used, then every unit actually has the extra game, and those in the know can just "transform" their standard edition into the Dollar General edition with a bit of unscrewing. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Does my hypothesis even make sense?

onmode-ky

I bet you're right concerning the jumper. That would make more sense than two separate designs / ROMs.

I sure hope that everyone reading this understands that this is just speculation/brainstorming/fantasy/wishing. I'll bet a dollar that when this doesn't happen, that there's no jumper to cross for easy access to Antarctic Adventure, that someone on this board will cry bloody murder that AtGames isn't living up to what they "promised," just like the SD card slot that this device doesn't have.

I have no insight into how the extra game works, but I seriously doubt it's a jumper, because that to me would seem like extra manufacturing effort. It's probably nothing more complicated than there being one of two versions of the complete (OS, emulator, and ROMs) software package being flashed to the chip, making that the only difference other than packaging. No doubt both Dollar General and Sam's Club have a specific number of units they ordered, so AtGames can probably be precise with how many units get the B chip and packaging variations. They can then make as many of the A chip (standard/generic edition) as they estimate they can ship.

Disclaimer: Keep in mind that my speculation in this regard is no better than anyone else's...

Many many years ago, before the computer wars (Atari 800 versus Commodore 64) and the console wars (Atari 2600 vs Intellivision) , there were the calculator wars. Nerds argued about which scientific calculator style was best: "Algebraic" - championed by Texas Instruments, versus "RPN" (reverse polish notation) championed by Hewlett Packard.

One day around that time I read in an electronics magazine about a new calculator chip from National Semiconductor. This chip had a special pin on it - if the pin was grounded, it would act as an Algebraic calculator, but if the the pin was set to 5 volts, then the chip would operate in RPN mode. The idea was the the calculator manufacturer would chose one mode or the other and wire up the chip appropriately.

But I thought - wouldn't be cool have a calculator based on that chip, and to put a little switch on that special pin, and then be able to switch between algebraic and rpn modes anytime? I would have the world's only dual mode calculator. How cool would that be? I would be in nerd heaven!

Soon after, National came out with a new scientific calculator. The keyboard layout of the calculator exactly matched the keyboard layout in the magazine article, so I figured it was probably the same chip. So I bought the calculator and opened it up to put in my little switch.

Much to my surprise, there was no dip (dual in-line package) calculator chip like in the article. They had taken the naked silicon chip, glued it to the circuit board, run hair-thin wires to all the places they needed to connect to, and then covered the whole thing with a big glob of plastic. I fooled around with it a bit, trying to figure out what wire was what, and soon I ended up frying the calculator chip.

So, the moral is : "Don't expect commercial electronic gadgets to be easily modifiable. Sometimes they are, but sometimes they are pretty hopeless..."

Catsfolly

• Like 1