IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

The overlays for both products are indeed the same designs you'd find on the originals, so, other than minor variations that make them different from the originals (that you'd need to purposely look for), there's nothing special about them. I don't have any information on any potential value-adds to the Intellivision overlays, but the ColecoVision overlays will have the game name printed on the overlay's pull tab so you know what game they go with.

I bet Crown of kings and Minotaur will have overlays they need them lot of buttons to remember especially Minotaur

That's a good point. So these, if included, will be variant as far as the name of the game.

On another note, I checked at the Sam's club site. You can get a free 1 day pass without being a member. You just pay 10% more than members. If they sell at $39.99, like at Toys R US, that would be $4 extra. But they will probably sell for less at Sam's and would probably still cost under $40.

Edited by SoulBuster
  • Like 1

I bet Crown of kings and Minotaur will have overlays they need them lot of buttons to remember especially Minotaur

With the Intelivision Flashblack, there are 15 overlays included. Keith said that he worked with AtGames to narrow down which games most needed the overlays.

I'm not sure about all the games, but I can wager that the two D&D games, all of the sports games, Utopia, and Vectrex will have them.

If I recall what Bill said, the Sam's Club version will have a additional 15 overlays. Hopefully for the unrleased games that will be included on the unit!

And yeah, I'm going to be getting the Sam's Club version of both the Colecovision and Intelivision Flashbacks. I don't need a two player only baseball game and I can play Antarctic Adventure on a lot of other systems.

Well, Nurmix, I was talking about the Intellivision controller....but now that I think about it, it goes for the Colecovision one also. :P

My advice:

Don't use the Intellivision controller with either a recently trimmed thumbnail (one that is cut back enough that the nail extends out LESS than the thumb underneath), or with a long thumbnail. This applies to the 'disc pressing' thumb.

Too short, and the nail will dig into the tender skin underneath, and your thumb will be sore for at least a day.

Too long, and in the heat of battle, you may jam the tip of the nail on the raised plastic that surrounds the disc, and then you'll get that 'pulled the nail away from the skin underneath' pain.

Both of these thumb injuries suck. But if you go into your Intellivision gaming session with average length nails, you won't have any problems. Your thumb may still be sore, depending on your playing style (feather light touch or iron-thumb), but it should be tolerable.

Next tip - side buttons...

...perhaps I should do a segment on the next podcast about all of these controller technique things?

• Like 2

While going over Bill's list of Intellivision Flashback games, I realized that certain sports are represented on the system by more than one game (in case it wasn't obvious, I'm not well versed with the system). So, for example, if I say "the Intellivision soccer game," I could mean either [NASL] Soccer or World Cup Soccer. Therefore, I went to update my records covering what games were in the Techno Source NOAC Intellivision plug-n-play systems, to clarify which particular games were in those. For the Intellivision 10 and Intellivision 25 systems, that was simple to do, because there's an IntellivisionLives.com page for those two which shows exactly which original titles are replicated on them (e.g., what's listed on the Intellivision 25 as "Golf" is meant to be Chip Shot: Super Pro Golf).

However, I can't find any such resource for the later pair of Techno Source Intellivision plug-n-play systems, the Intellivision X2 15 (a 2-player system with 15 games) and the Intellivision 10 2nd Edition. Does anyone here have one or both of these? I'd like to clarify what the following games listed on these two systems are:

- Baseball

- Beach Volleyball

- Football

- Hockey

- Soccer

- Tennis

In particular, what the heck is Beach Volleyball? The only Intellivision volleyball game I found doesn't have "Beach" in the title, and it was called plain old "Volleyball" on Intellivision 25. Is this a newly made game for these systems, like Long Drive Golf, or is it just Spiker! Super Pro Volleyball as on Intellivision 25, but inexplicably renamed?

I'm also reordering these NOAC Intellivisions' game lists in my records. Typically, I try to have games listed in the order they're in on a system's main menu, but it seems my Intellivision 10 and 25 lists are in the order of the instruction manual--which, YouTube proved, is not the same as the main menu order. I can't find anything on YouTube showing the main menus for either the X2 15 or 10 2nd Edition, unfortunately. If anyone knows and can give me the proper ordering for these, please do!

onmode-ky

• Like 1

I am aware of those details (I'm the person trying to identify who programmed the ports, Techno Source or a subcontracted Chinese developer), hence why I referred above to Techno Source's products as "NOAC Intellivisions" (NOAC = Nintendo-on-a-chip). The fact that they are ports rather than emulations, though, does not invalidate my question. The ports are intended to mimic actual Intellivision games; I want to know which sports games they are intended to mimic. As an analogy, if someone puts the NES port of Gyruss in a compilation but renames it "Gybob," we can still recognize that it's a[n inaccurate] rendition of original arcade Gyruss.

If the Techno Source ports are so unfaithful that no one can tell which Intellivision sports games they're meant to resemble, that's an acceptable answer, but if they're not so far gone, then I can update my data with more useful info than the simple sports names that are currently there.

Soooooo, anyone have either of the X2 15 and 10 2nd Edition models? I know you're out there!

onmode-ky

• Like 1

I think I have those, but haven't hooked them up in forever. GIven there was only ever one Volleyball game for Intellivision -- Spiker! -- it's safe to assume that anything named volleyball was supposed to be Spiker!. Since I'm going to be digging through a few things this weekend, if I come across those units, I'll try to hook them up. No promises, though.

Hey guys, just an update on the Flashback controller / compatibility thing. Since the product hasn't been released yet, I defer to Intellivision Productions when it comes to talking about these things. But Keith Robinson has given me the OK to post more information, so...

Upon disassembling the Flashback controller, I was quite surprised to see that it uses an almost identical folded, 3-layer Mylar circuit matrix, very similar to the original Intellivision controllers. That said, there are differences. The actual traces on the matrices are a bit different, and they terminate at the top of the matrix in a completely different way. They also connect to the wiring via a small circuit board. There are no components on that board, just solder points for the wires, and a slot for the termination of the matrix traces to slide into. Because of this, the lower half of the controller housing is a bit different in that area too, with 2 small screw holes. It would require some work to make the original wiring connectors and matrices work in this housing. The same is true of using one of these new matrices in an original controller (it would require some fabrication and connector re-working). But, that's sort of beside the point.

Anyway, I worked the solution out by putting an unfolded original matrix side by side with an unfolded Flashback matrix, and tested all the traces and resulting pin connections. I verified that despite some visual differences, and the aforementioned different end connections, the traces, and the signal combinations the various button and disc presses generate, were the same (for those not in the know, the signals from Intellivision controllers are 'multi-plexed', meaning basically that each button, keypad or disc press sends signals to more than one pin at a time).

At that point it was a question of mapping which pins were associated with which signal combinations on both matrices, and work out the corresponding pinouts. Then it came down to rewiring. So I fabricated an adapter using some male and female db9 connectors, soldering the wires in the newly remapped layout, and voila... the Flashback controller worked on the original Intellivision (in my test case, an Intellivision II).

As a proof of concept, I also made an adapter to do the reverse... allow a Sears Intellivision controller to work on a Flashback. No problem there either.

Anyway, the adapters are fairly straight forward: 18-solder points, 1 male and 1 female db9, and some serial cable wire. In the case of wanting to use the Flashback controller on an original Master Component, the 'motherboard-style' pin connector would be soldered to one end instead of the female db9.

As an alternative, given the way the Flashback controller wires are soldered to the small 'connection' board, a Flashback controller could be permanently made to be an original Intellivision (II or Sears Super Video Arcade) controller simply by de-soldering the 9 wires on that small board, and re-soldering them in the correct order for the original Intellivision.

I will make the pinout information available here soon, so anyone can make them. And if you don't feel you want to tackle that job yourself, I will make the adapters available either here, or through the Intellivision Productions website. Basically, in one way or another, you'll be able to get the controllers working on your original hardware. I will post some pictures and the wiring information as soon as I am given the OK to do so.

By the way, for those who are curious, of the 9 wires/pins on the connector plug, only ONE was the same between the Flashback and the original. So plugging a Flashback controller into an Inty II / Sears without the adapter sends a mishmash of crossed signals that does nothing but confuse the Intellivision (and annoy the user).

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 7

Hey Nurmix,

Thanks for the information! Being a technical invalid, may need your help in future. Good job, & also great job on latest podcast as always! I made it through all of it but need to cycle back to a few areas where I dozed off. Keep up the GREAT WORK guys - truly a treat to listen to these monthly podcasts. Next goal to listen to one in its entirety before cmart:-)

• Like 1

do the controllers feel nice like 2609 model or bad like Intv2 model?

Are the side buttons nice or crappy?

You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a 2609 and a Flashback controller - except the Flashback controller is slightly lighter.

The side buttons are soft rubber. Maybe a tiny bit less thick than the originals, but nowhere near the torture points that are the Intellivision II buttons!

• Like 1

Hey Nurmix,

Thanks for the information! Being a technical invalid, may need your help in future. Good job, & also great job on latest podcast as always! I made it through all of it but need to cycle back to a few areas where I dozed off. Keep up the GREAT WORK guys - truly a treat to listen to these monthly podcasts. Next goal to listen to one in its entirety before cmart:-)

I'm here to help!

And I think Cmart somehow manages to start listening in parallel with me uploading the file, so good luck beating him there.

I'm here to help!

And I think Cmart somehow manages to start listening in parallel with me uploading the file, so good luck beating him there.

What Paul doesn't know is that I'm hiding in his closet listening as he puts the podcast together....in a totally non creepy, non stalker sort of way. :)

• Like 1