IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

I think that both the IntelliCart and CC3 work for loading the MTE-201 test ROM.

They do indeed. I've tested countless Intellivisions that way. And there are several variations of the test cart ROM as well, catering to the original console, the II, etc.

Bill, I truly appreciate your offer, but my funds are a little depleted right now. Rest assured though, when I decide to purchase a console I hope it's from one of you fine fellows. By the way, I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply to my many questions. You all are a wealth of knowledge.

• Like 1

Is there an easy way to make one yourself? Intellivision has weird address and data design, common EPROM can't be used directly and I've seen schematic for old T-boards that used EPROM, it's large and convoluted.

Too bad no one makes G1 programmable ROM and no one has released the source data to make a Cuttle Cart or other Inty compatible flash cart

Damn, I thought I was lucky. I got mine from JHC for 19.95. Well, I got 5 intellivision 1 and 1 intellivision 2 test cart for $120.

I sold 4 of the intellivision 1 carts for $125 each. Had no idea that they we go that high on ebay. This was maybe the late 90's.

Man, time goes fast!

I also got spiker from JHC for 19.95, but the cart board was cracked and did not work.

The chip was surface mount if I remember correctly? with a black blob over it. Called to complain, but they had no more available :(

I ended up buying $3,000 in games and controllers from James and selling them on ebay.

When I got my money back, I sold/traded all the remaining games and unformed boxes for a Colecovision and 4 or 5 Intellivision games I needed for the 125.

Body Slam was one I needed, I don't remember the others, but maybe Learning Fun1 or 2? ( I also got about 20 games I needed from the lot first. )

Oh, I bought 10 Super Pro Skiing games. But when I looked in the boxes....ALL were the standard skiing carts. ( this was before the inflated price on SP Skiing, I would have been pissed! )

Also, a ton of the INTV games I bought were in SP Skiing and Diner boxes with photo copied box covers glued to the front of these boxes. Horrible!!!!!!

That was my last dealing with JHC, I believe he sold everything to another dealer. He kept trying to get me to buy it all. Torn on that now.

But I didn't have the money or the space to do so. ( plus I was a not real trusting at that point )

Not a hardware guy, but:

• More cost per unit
  • more complexity in the design
  • another point of potential failure in the product
  • more testing
  • more support (if such a thing is even offered) -- or customer frustration

Could be wrong about that, but those come to mind right away.

• Like 1

The technical side is trivial. Legalities are the only issues. It's up to the companies offering the licenses being OK with it. As was stated before, only Sega has thus far offered their blessing for SD card slots. It's certainly something that could change for the other products in the future, but I don't consider it likely.

For those interested, I can tell you that all game lists for the 2014 products have been finalized as you'd expect at this late date. While again, I won't get into specifics until AtGames is ready to release the lists themselves, I can answer any general questions/cover highlights. Here are the final game counts: Atari Flashback 5 (2014) - 92 games, ColecoVision Flashback - 60/61 games, Intellivision Flashback - 60/61 games, Sega Genesis Classic Game Console (2014) - 80 games, Sega Genesis Ultimate Portable Game Player (2014) - 80 games

There is also lots of good stuff being planned for 2015, so I hope these end up doing well with the target audiences.

• Like 2

For those interested, I can tell you that all game lists for the 2014 products have been finalized as you'd expect at this late date. While again, I won't get into specifics until AtGames is ready to release the lists themselves, I can answer any general questions/cover highlights. Here are the final game counts: Atari Flashback 5 (2014) - 92 games, ColecoVision Flashback - 60/61 games, Intellivision Flashback - 60/61 games, Sega Genesis Classic Game Console (2014) - 80 games, Sega Genesis Ultimate Portable Game Player (2014) - 80 games
There is also lots of good stuff being planned for 2015, so I hope these end up doing well with the target audiences.

There's a portable Genesis coming out from AtGames also? Is it something like the Game Gear with the games built in (no cart slot, of course)? I hadn't heard ANYTHING about that and if the screen is a good size I'll get one of those instead of the Classic Game Console Version 2. :)

I hope AtGames is willing to release that game list soon! The systems are due out in just over two months, and as I said earlier, the sooner they get that out, the better people will feel about it and decide once and for all what they are going to do.

There's a portable Genesis coming out from AtGames also? Is it something like the Game Gear with the games built in (no cart slot, of course)? I hadn't heard ANYTHING about that and if the screen is a good size I'll get one of those instead of the Classic Game Console Version 2. :)

Yes. There's already been a version of the portable Genesis out. This one - assuming it's the same one I tested previously (i.e., they're going to go with the redesign) - is going to be an improvement on that one. It has an SD card slot.

• Like 2

I'd like to see them make a Genesis console with the SD slot. Any chance that's happening?

So far it seems like you either choose the portable option that includes the SD slot and lose the controller ports and cartridge port in the process, or lose the SD option and go with the console version that does have those other features. But what I want is something that includes all the major features (TV/Out, original controller support, SD slot, and cartridge slot).

Or at the very least, I'd love to see joystick ports added to the portable to complement the tv/out option the last version had. That would bump that up to a sure purchase even though I'd like to also see a cartridge slot.

Edited by Atariboy

I think one answer is to say "buy it all to show your support, and maybe they'll give you what you want in a future revision!" I'll get both, it's not a lot of money in the scheme of things, and putting in all the features could drive up the prices.

At least the two versions are differentiated for each other this way.

Back to the Intellivision topic: it will be nice to know the final lineup. Sounds like we will know soon!

I interview Keith Robinson in the upcoming Intellivisionaries Podcast (episode 11). We talk at length about the Intellivision Flashback, including divulging the full game list.

Can't wait, I just hope that Keith doesn't get in any trouble for doing that. From what Bill was saying, AtGames didn't want to release the game list yet.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and up-to-date on this.

Also, just to confirm about the CV, is it the same as the Intelly with the extra game version at Dollar General?

Can't wait, I just hope that Keith doesn't get in any trouble for doing that. From what Bill was saying, AtGames didn't want to release the game list yet.

Since Keith and company are providing all of the games, I'm sure it's his prerogative. With that said, once the episode is out, I'll ask AtGames if I can release the other lists. That might be a good opportunity.

• Like 3

I interview Keith Robinson in the upcoming Intellivisionaries Podcast (episode 11). We talk at length about the Intellivision Flashback, including divulging the full game list.

Were you able to ask him if he knows definitively whether the old Techno Source plug-n-play systems were programmed in-house or by a contractor? It would be nice to know for sure. Or did the interview predate my question?

onmode-ky