IGNORED

Coleco Industries - The Rise & Fall - History Book

retroillucid

Hi retroillucid, do you please have updates on the book progress? Any tentative release dates ;) ?

Jim is working on it , then he will send me back the file, I will then update it with all photos needed

Then send it back to Jim, then he will add photos as well

Then it will be the proof read

Let's say it's baking

• 2 months later...

Jim is working on it , then he will send me back the file, I will then update it with all photos needed

Then send it back to Jim, then he will add photos as well

Then it will be the proof read

Let's say it's baking

If you need any proofreaders, I would gladly volunteer, just let me know.

Any updates?

Time has not been on my side and I'm sure this holds true for Retroillucid as well. Good news is that after being involved in numerous endeavors with the CV & ADAM that have consumed most of my free time, I should be getting back to finsihing up my digital collection of files that totals almost 8Gb in the coming weeks or months.

Time has not been on my side and I'm sure this holds true for Retroillucid as well. Good news is that after being involved in numerous endeavors with the CV & ADAM that have consumed most of my free time, I should be getting back to finsihing up my digital collection of files that totals almost 8Gb in the coming weeks or months.

Yeah, same here

I've been kind of busy with CollectorVision

Although, I've scans ALOT of photos wich will be used for the book :)

In the process, I decided to make a Coleco Industries Documentary as well

But I don't see it released until about 2-3 years

I'm really looking forward to it, as I've said before, as there's been no definitive history of Coleco (short of what Steven Kent has written in his History of Video Games book) and Coleco does not get the respect they deserve for what they accomplished. Atari vs Coleco was a great console war and they had the balls to take on the monolith called Atari. They may not have had the obstacles to deal with that Sega did taking on Nintendo but come on, make games for their competitors system AND make a module to play your competitor's games. Them balls were as big as the barrels DK was throwing.

Edited by H.E.R.O.

I'm really looking forward to it, as I've said before, as there's been no definitive history of Coleco (short of what Steven Kent has written in his History of Video Games book) and Coleco does not get the respect they deserve for what they accomplished. Atari vs Coleco was a great console war and they had the balls to take on the monolith called Atari. They may not have had the obstacles to deal with that Sega did taking on Nintendo but come on, make games for their competitors system AND make a module to play your competitor's games. Them balls were as big as the barrel DK was throwing.

I have extensive Coleco history in my recent "Vintage Game Consoles" book, but yes, there's a significant difference between being part of a non-specific book and having a book dedicated to a single story. As I did with my co-author for the recent "CoCo" book, you can tell the story in considerably more detail when you're able to use the words of the people who were responsible for the products coming into being, which is not really possible unless it's a dedicated book on the subject. There are obviously several major challenges with such a book, including all of the research, getting in touch with the right people, and writing it in a professional and entertaining manner, but if it's done right, the pay off to the reader is well worth it.

Early NES games were comparable to Coleco and 7800 but quickly became "next gen" with titles that used MMC1 chips in cartridge. I wonder if it's not just the big N's marketing strategy that won over the industry. I wonder if it was also the willingness to pack in upgrades on cart instead of expansion modules.

• Like 1

Early NES games were comparable to Coleco and 7800 but quickly became "next gen" with titles that used MMC1 chips in cartridge. I wonder if it's not just the big N's marketing strategy that won over the industry. I wonder if it was also the willingness to pack in upgrades on cart instead of expansion modules.

There were a lot of factors, of course, but certainly being able to relatively inexpensively expand game capabilities with in-chip cartridges were an ace-in-the-hole for the both the NES and SNES. The primary factors though I believe were having the right types of games - starting with Super Mario Bros. - that really felt like something new and exciting, good timing (North America was ready to embrace videogames again) and marketing, and of course, the wonderful idea to lock down third party developers, which more or less left companies like Sega and Atari with the scraps.

As for the expansion module thing, it's important to remember that the NES had a plethora of crazy add-ons. While Nintendo themselves more or less stopped releasing them in North America after the initially bundled robot and light gun (they did license Bandai's sport's pad as well, of course), it was hardly a lost art by that point with third parties. They also were fairly agressive with the add-ons in Japan, including a computer add-on and real 3D glasses, which of course never made it out over here.

• Like 1

I did read somewhere (waaay back) that the NES would have been a direct competitor to the Colecovision. At the time I thought Coleco's graphics were really impressive...Smurf Rescue and B.C.'s Quest come to mind.

I admit though that when I first played Super Mario Brothers and Elevator Action on the NES, it was the system I had to have. I was reluctant and didn't take the NES seriously at first mainly because I was into computer gaming by that time.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Latest News!

The book should be all completed by the end of September!

It's going to be available in both French and English

We're trying to get it officially liscenced by Coleco (River West Brand)

I will keep posting updates, and will post the release date as soon as I know

Thanks for your patience! :)

• Like 8

Yes, a chapter with homebrew and cartridges that can run homebrews or real console.

Also , non official hardware will be very nice in such book.

We have such book in France for other consoles like the SNES : "La bible SNES" is a good example about such book.

Yes, a chapter with homebrew and cartridges that can run homebrews or real console.

Also , non official hardware will be very nice in such book.

We have such book in France for other consoles like the SNES : "La bible SNES" is a good example about such book.

Yeah, and the publisher (here in Montreal) is trying to have them to publish the book in Europe ;)