IGNORED

C64 games

Vladio

I just dusted off my old C64, bought a used floppy and joystick and am ready to go old-school gaming. I do have a few question that I was hoping to get some help with.

Are these old arcade games that I used to play in the early to mid 80's available on-line? In other words, can I find a game that I used to play such as Battlezone or Gorf and download it off the internet to play on the C64 itself and not through an emulator?

Can someone recommend a place online to find these? I did a search but I seem to only be finding ROM's for emulation.

What's the best way to get these games on the C64? As I mentioned, I have a floppy. I'd like to have the games on the floppies if that's possible. The idea is to keep the room as authentic 80's as I can.

Being in my mid 40's, I grew up and was a nerd through the most dynamic days of personal computing. My idea is to have, instead of a man-cave, a Nerd Cave where my wife, kids and myself can have some fun playing old-school games. The kids have an XBox, iPod touches, computers, DS's... They actually can appreciate these simple games and like playing them.

Any help with my ?'s is really appreciated. I'm looking forward to playing some of these old games that have been forgotten.

Thanks again,

Joe

• Like 2

Joe: Look into getting a uIEC or SD2IEC. They allow you to put those D64 rom files on an SD memory card and run them on a real 64. The devices are kind of spendy, but they do allow you to run a lot of those old games, and things load a lot quicker than a real floppy drive.

If you really want to play off floppies, that can be done too. There is a reasonably inexpensive cable/connector that allows you to hook up the 1541 to a PC and then create floppy disks from those D64 images. I haven't done this, so I don't know much about it other than it can be done.

I haven't tried the floppy to pc yet since i still need to make the cable, but i have transferred tape image from my pc to the c64. Just hook up the lineout of the pc to a tapedeck, use audiotap to convert the tap file to a audio stream and record it on a tape. Real 80's here in europe since most people used tape insted of floppy.

Here is a guide with info on transferring disk images from pc to c64.

http://sta.c64.org/xcables.html

Edited by Seob

Just hook up the lineout of the pc to a tapedeck, use audiotap to convert the tap file to a audio stream and record it on a tape.

Now - that's an idea for my VC20 I picked up. If I ever hook up my own old C64 again, I won't bother with a datasette, though. The little bit of convenience coming along with a 1541 is something I don't want to miss.

I suppose you need to consider how you want to operate and then choose a device accordingly:

1. ZoomFloppy will let you connect a 1541 to a PC (just like the X-series cables, but USB instead of parallel). It will be good to backup or transfer floppy disks one by one. Pro: you get the software onto a real floppy disk. Con: may be a bit slow, will use up a fair bunch of floppy disks for testing purposes unless you compact the D64 images before transferring them.

2. SD2IEC device like the uIEC/SD will let you put thousands of D64 images onto a SD card and load on the C64. Pro: easy, fast way to transfer files. Con: not all games and demos will run directly off the uIEC/SD. However there is native C64 software to copy a D64 to a real floppy disk, in case you find the need to do so.

3. If you have a smaller subset of software that you want to run, you might consider an EasyFlash cartridge. It holds much less than any SD card will, and may not be suitable for constant reprogramming, but will give you an autostarting menu that is easy to navigate. In theory you should be able to install a menu on the SD card above too, but I'm not sure if you could make it autostart without a custom cartridge.

There may be other options too, like userport communications which however not always work too well. As for recording WAV files, I would consider it the last option. Some people however successfully installed a "CD" tape adapter into the Datassette and then could stream audio data directly from the PC without storing it onto physical tape first.

(For whoever is interested: all the above options minus the EasyFlash work in the same way on a VIC-20. It has other similar multicarts, pre-programmed or flashable. Contrary to the myth, the VIC works perfectly fine with a 1541 or other IEC device - just that back in 1981/82 so few could afford a floppy drive that the rumour said it wasn't supported)

• Like 1

In theory you should be able to install a menu on the SD card above too, but I'm not sure if you could make it autostart without a custom cartridge.

No, there's no way to make what is essentially a large capacity floppy drive autostart.

Option 4 is one of the more powerful disk drive emulators like the 1541 Ultimate 2 or the Turbo Chameleon; both are significantly more expensive than the SD2IEC but also more accurate so there's no need to shift games to real floppies. They can pretend to be an EasyFlash, game, RAM expansion or fastload cartridge and at the press of a button will jump into a menu with a file browser to select images.

Of the two, the 1541U2 is the cheaper and probably the better to go for at least for more casual gaming use; personally, i have both but use the Chameleon more because it's also got VGA out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, sorry about not being here for a while. I decided to build a Nerd Cave for all my hardware.

I think I'm going to go with the SD2IEC. I see one on eBay for about $60 from Hungary. Will this do? Is this a decent drive?

From what I read about it, it sounds like I could copy from the SD car to the floppy.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll have to upload a pic of the Cave. It should be pretty cool when I'm done...lots of old-school stuff.

Joe

Hi guys, sorry about not being here for a while. I decided to build a Nerd Cave for all my hardware.

I think I'm going to go with the SD2IEC. I see one on eBay for about $60 from Hungary. Will this do? Is this a decent drive?

From what I read about it, it sounds like I could copy from the SD car to the floppy.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll have to upload a pic of the Cave. It should be pretty cool when I'm done...lots of old-school stuff.

Joe

There are 3 versions on ebay (not counting color differences).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330917399751?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C64-SD-card-SD2IEC-SDrive-1564-card-interface-Commodore-1541-emulator-/111181692420?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e2f1fe04

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-64-128-1541-Disk-Drive-Emulator-SD2IEC-SD-Card-Reader-/261304877046?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd6fbfff6

I like the size of the first one and it's available in other colors. It also draws power from the cassette port so I can use it with my 128D or Plus/4 by using an adapter I already have.

The pass through of the second one is nice but I don't think I want another power supply and switch to worry about. Not having to change the device number through BASIC would be a plus though and if you need to use the cassette at the same time the first one isn't an option.

The last one probably looks the best and it has the machine reset button. The down side is the buttons are at the back so you could hit the wrong button and it takes up the user port which some things plug into. It also won't work on machines like the Plus/4 so it's off my list.

I'm thinking of ordering the first one.

*edit*

Be sure to grab this no matter which one you pick.

http://www.vic20.it/cbmfilebrowser/

Edited by JamesD

If you want to cheap out, there is one from a Polish seller asking 110 Zloty, equivalent to 22.50 GBP, 36.30 USD or whichever currency you want to compare with.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131023827878

It doesn't have the pretty casing and is set up to draw power from one of the joystick ports. The latter may not be ideal, but since it is a matter of 5V, if you either have an userport or cassette connector you can easily resolder the two wires to that connector.

If you want to cheap out, there is one from a Polish seller asking 110 Zloty, equivalent to 22.50 GBP, 36.30 USD or whichever currency you want to compare with.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131023827878

It doesn't have the pretty casing and is set up to draw power from one of the joystick ports. The latter may not be ideal, but since it is a matter of 5V, if you either have an userport or cassette connector you can easily resolder the two wires to that connector.

That would work pretty well internally if you solder the power/ground direct and mounted some buttons somewhere on the computer case.

It's $37 US + shipping but when loaded on US ebay it says it doesn't ship to the US even though the auction is listed as worldwide.

Then if you go to the shipping calculator, the US and Canada aren't listed in the drop down even though it says it ships to North America. Du-Oh!

Decisions, Decisions...

If I go with the first one, can it be run with the floppy together? I have a bunch of games already that are on floppy. If I can only have one plugged in at a time I assume I have to swap plugs for them both to work or could I just plug this SD device into the back of the floppy and use both?

Decisions, Decisions...

If I go with the first one, can it be run with the floppy together? I have a bunch of games already that are on floppy. If I can only have one plugged in at a time I assume I have to swap plugs for them both to work or could I just plug this SD device into the back of the floppy and use both?

Just make sure it's set to a different drive ID and plug it into the back of the floppy drive. From the look of it you'll need a Male to Female extender cable because the power lead that comes off of the data cable and isn't very long. You could always ask if he'd make the power cable longer too.

*edit*

BTW, you'll save a couple bucks by ordering direct from his website and you have different power options.

Edited by JamesD

Just make sure it's set to a different drive ID and plug it into the back of the floppy drive. From the look of it you'll need a Male to Female extender cable because the power lead that comes off of the data cable and isn't very long. You could always ask if he'd make the power cable longer too.

Thank you for the reply.

I can extend the length, that's not a prob.

They may not be the old classics from the 80s, but I've recently purchased a few brand new Commodore 64 games from these sites:

http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/

http://rgcd.bigcartel.com/

The first site sells some classic games, but their main focus is publishing new homebrew games on cassette tape and floppy disk. The second site sells new homebrew games on cartridge. Their presentation is top notch, and the games are great! I've been having so much fun playing Bomber Land 64! :)

Check out how professional their releases are:

mojon_promo.jpg

Bomberland_Deluxe.png

Edited by Cammy
  • Like 2

been to a retrofaif last weekend where i met Paul Koller, who made c64anabalt and super breadbox. played both games and had a great time talking to him. checked out a new game he's working on. going to pick up c64anabalt, great fun with only one button.

There are 3 versions on ebay (not counting color differences).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330917399751?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I would not trust this seller. In an e-mail he said that he would refund my postage costs if I bought 2 or more of his SD2IEC's. Well, I bought two, and two weeks later they came in. But there was no refund. I waited a while longer and then sent him an e-mail asking for the money he said he would refund. No response!

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://videocam.net.au/fcug

• 9 months later...

I think the Magic Voice is too esoteric to be worthwhile to rely on. Most developers today would probably go for software speech synthesis or plain samples instead, as they work on a stock machine with not much worse sound quality. You can also ask yourself how many new games use a light pen, or I suppose a light gun which were much more common but technologies requiring a CRT TV.

I bought an XM1541 cable a few weeks back and have been using that with GUICBM4WIN to transfer the D64 images onto floppy. I tend to test the discs on Vice first to make sure they are good, Project Firestart for example, I had 2 versions and both were faulty, one of them the main sprite distorted / glitched when moving and the other Side 2 wasn't working, grabbed the version from Gamebase and it works exactly how it should.

I have an old PC with the Parallel Port setup on the 3rd floor of the house on the lower shelf on a table to my C64 so easy to just swap out the connection between C64 & PC, I will however be getting a Zoom Floppy some point for future proofing and another disc drive so no swapping needed.

When it comes to tapes like previously mentioned you use Audiotap, play them out of your PC speaker or headphone socket, connect a lead to headphone to a Mic In on a tape recorder and hit record, alignment on the recorder needs to match where the C64 tape deck alignment is and don't have the volume set to high or you get distortion and it won't load, a bit of trial and error is required until you get it just right.

I would not trust this seller. In an e-mail he said that he would refund my postage costs if I bought 2 or more of his SD2IEC's. Well, I bought two, and two weeks later they came in. But there was no refund. I waited a while longer and then sent him an e-mail asking for the money he said he would refund. No response!

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://videocam.net.au/fcug

As a member of TPUG I really recommend the 1541 Ultimate 2, It emulates 99.9% two 1541 drives. It does so many things. You can use Tape, Cartridge & Disk Images.

Heres a link: http://www.1541ultimate.net/content/index.php

its worth every penny to get one. I have one and plan buying another in the future.