IGNORED

Disk to tape

Magic Knight

Hi, ive been trawling a bit on the net and here, but i cant seem to find a good program that can convert ATR to cas format or at least take the ATR and save via hardware to tape etc.

Can anyone recommend a good program that can take a disk image and save this to a cassette?

Links and program names are much appreciated!

"convert ATR to cas format or at least take the ATR and save via hardware to tape etc."

why?

you need only ATR, sio2pc/sio2sd, copy progra, thats it

Mainly because I have some unreleased files that I'd rather have on tape than disk. I have multi format box shells that can have both tape/cart and disk. Having all 3 populated with associated programs would make this a complete combo package.

For example - I'm filling my Eastern Front multibox with around 6 programs. 1 cart, 2 tapes and 3 disks would make this a neat package to have in my collection. (Apx version, final version, source code, editor, scenario disk, western front etc etc),

I could run the lot on incognito or emulator of course but the above is more nostalgic.

Edited by Magic Knight

Not knowing the exact nature of the files you want on tape, I have no idea if this is any real help or not, but AtrUtil95 1.13 will extract files from ATR images which you then should be able to place on tape with A8CAS (executables at least) that would load and run the executable when booting the tape on a real machine. Emulators too for that matter.

Get it here

http://atari.kensclassics.org/a8emulators.html#utilities

Any joy?

Converting bootable ATR images to cassette should be problematic I would think unless you can also get it in an .exe or .xex form which might work as outlined above. I wouldn't know where to start with text or data files due the to lack of any real exposure to the cassette side of things, sorry. Way before my time.

Hi, ive been trawling a bit on the net and here, but i cant seem to find a good program that can convert ATR to cas format or at least take the ATR and save via hardware to tape etc.

Can anyone recommend a good program that can take a disk image and save this to a cassette?

Links and program names are much appreciated!

I don't understand exactly what you're trying to do. Transfering a multi-stage boot .ATR disk image to a tape I can't do. It might be possible to

make a single stage boot .ATR into a boot tape. If you want to transfer a DOS booting .ATR, with multiple files, etc. that is not likely. However, if you want

to take a single stage .EXE/COM/XEX file and make a boot tape out of it, that may be possible. I'm going way back, to about 1985 with a utility I wrote to

transfer a single stage binary program to a cas. I don't remember if it actually works, but here it is anyway.

If you try it and it works, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Also, here's a SmartDOS single density .ATR that has the .BAS file on it.

Oh,also, a utility that will tell you if a particular xex/com/exe is multiple stage or not called TRAK2.BAS.

EXE2CAS1.zip

SMARTD61.zip

TRAK2.zip

Edited by russg

The more I read up on this, the more I see that Atr' s are less likely to be turned into a single Cass loader,

I've been able to take xex files and single ones but the Atr being a snapshot of a floppy containing a multiple of files makes this different and I can see the problem,

I thought there would be some kinda program that could take these and bootload in sequence etc but in cas format?

An Atr to xex would have the same problem I think.

Thanks for the files I have uses for these for other programs I'm converting too.

In short - if i can get either of these to an XEX or Cass file, then i can get this to a wav (then a real cassette).

E_F_1941_Scenario_Editor.atr

Western_Front_1944_inc_1984.atr

(note cassette for either/both of these two is my preferred method of storage and intenting to compromise the kind nature these were released of late by Chris Crawford! - 5 disks in the original Eastern front Big box is pointless where there is moulded areas with room for tapes, carts and disks each to fit in.)

Edited by Magic Knight

For anything requiring random access, forget about it.

Such examples Spelunker and the Alternate Reality games.

Additionally, it's just not worth the effort. Hours of work for a target audience that is miniscule. If you want nostalgia of tape loading, just stick to the tolerable ones like Zeppelin, Slime and the like.

XEX will work to a point. If it's something like a demo that partially loads, then runs a stage and loads the remainder some minutes later then it generally won't work on tape.

I don't understand exactly what you're trying to do. Transfering a multi-stage boot .ATR disk image to a tape I can't do. It might be possible to

make a single stage boot .ATR into a boot tape. If you want to transfer a DOS booting .ATR, with multiple files, etc. that is not likely. However, if you want

to take a single stage .EXE/COM/XEX file and make a boot tape out of it, that may be possible. I'm going way back, to about 1985 with a utility I wrote to

transfer a single stage binary program to a cas. I don't remember if it actually works, but here it is anyway.

If you try it and it works, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Also, here's a SmartDOS single density .ATR that has the .BAS file on it.

Oh,also, a utility that will tell you if a particular xex/com/exe is multiple stage or not called TRAK2.BAS.

I've played with exe2cas1.bas. It doesn't do the number of records and run address correctly. Will post a revision soon.

Both example ATR images you posted contain autorun.sys files, that would the be the executable to try your conversion with. They also have a .sav and .dat file indicating either a copy protection scheme or random access to them during or after game play - that's where it will fail if it's going to. Cassette won't do that well. But it won't cost too much to try it and see what happens, good luck.

Otherwise you'll have to rewrite the programs to include possibly the .dat information inside the executable and/or just not do a game state save. Either avenue is not easy at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, don't work. It seems to write OK, but fails at record # 25. I'm done with it for now.

I've played/worked on exe2cas some more. I can get a copy to tape that ends and then reads fine up to the end of what I wrote. I think I have the first record 6 bytes and end of tape to 1st record + 6 (7th byte) code.

It just reads to the end and stops. I've read here in AA that a boot tape has a end record of all zeros. I tried that. I'm getting to the end of the records and it just stops. My next step is to follow the Technical

Reference Notes and put a LDA #END+1

STA MEMLO

STA APPMHI

LDA #END+1/256

STA MEMLO+1

STA APPMHI+1

Then a RESTART LDA #RESTRT ;RESTART LSB

STA DOSVEC

LDA #RESTART/256

STA DOSVEC+1

I think it gets to the end of the loading and JSRs to 1st record +6

I've played/worked on exe2cas some more. I can get a copy to tape that ends and then reads fine up to the end of what I wrote. I think I have the first record 6 bytes and end of tape to 1st record + 6 (7th byte) code.

It just reads to the end and stops. I've read here in AA that a boot tape has a end record of all zeros. I tried that. I'm getting to the end of the records and it just stops. My next step is to follow the Technical Ref. Notes.

I have it working! Did one of my compiled programs and Elevator Repairman. There's no need for a 128 zeros record at the end. I just needed to be more careful with the machine code in

the 1st record. Needs a lot of making data entry easier. Tomorrow, Kid Grid. You gotta have a clean tape and hold your mouth right.

I have it working! Did one of my compiled programs and Elevator Repairman. There's no need for a 128 zeros record at the end. I just needed to be more careful with the machine code in

the 1st record. Needs a lot of making data entry easier. Tomorrow, Kid Grid. You gotta have a clean tape and hold your mouth right.

Kid Grid not a single stage. BATLEAGL.XEX worked, sorta. I think there may be some NTSC/PAL issues. Just getting it to save and run I'm pleased.

I may post it. It would require some alteration. There's a DATA line at 2000 that has to have the first part of the first record.

The first 128 byte record has to load from the DATA line 2000 and be padded to 128 bytes with zeros. Well. it is too complicated right now to post,

You have to edit the DATA statement after getting info from the program (enter with BREAK) and info from TRAK2.BAS

Here's a specific BASIC that makes a BATLEAGL.XEX tape. It is a fairly large program, 139 records. Of course, if you had a disk drive

to make the tape with, you wouldn't need a tape version any way. You know you have to have BATLEAGL.XEX on disk to copy)

ATBTL.zip

Edited by russg

Kid Grid not a single stage. BATLEAGL.XEX worked, sorta. I think there may be some NTSC/PAL issues. Just getting it to save and run I'm pleased.

I may post it. It would require some alteration. There's a DATA line at 2000 that has to have the first part of the first record.

The first 128 byte record has to load from the DATA line 2000 and be padded to 128 bytes with zeros. Well. it is too complicated right now to post,

You have to edit the DATA statement after getting info from the program (enter with BREAK) and info from TRAK2.BAS

Here's a specific BASIC that makes a BATLEAGL.XEX tape. It is a fairly large program, 139 records. Of course, if you had a disk drive

to make the tape with, you wouldn't need a tape version any way. You know you have to have BATLEAGL.XEX on disk to copy)

I didn't make it clear that ATBTL.BAS doesn't require any editing. It is ready to copy BATLEAGL.XEX to tape without any editing.

• 4 weeks later...

I notice that people seem to be downloading the files that don't work, and not seeing the .zip of an .ATR that has programs that do work. So, I'm putting the

.atr of a SmartDOS 6.1 .atr with programs that do work. This .atr has specific file to tape for BATLEAGL and SARG3, as well as a general single stage

binary load to tape program that has to be altered to work on any single stage binary load file. The ATX5.BAS is the customizable program that tries

to coach you in modifying the DATA statements to make it work.

FILE2CAS.zip

do you have the BEST applications that transfer from TAPE to DISK instead ? Those applications must be included cracked-pirate tools in order to get well-protected software's on those protected tapes.

I"m not sure what you're talking about. I don't have any application that transfers tape to disk. It is definitely possible, but I don't know if any.

I used to use an application called TransDisk to copy tapes to disk (I have an ATR of it). Worked like a charm on every game I tried.

Not sure about the other way round though, I can't see why you'd ever want to in this day and age.

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v1n6/cbootmgr.html lists a program that converts single stage boot to cassette. I remember using this successfully on a Synapse tape.

Just to be clear. cbootmgr copies boot tapes to tape or disk. It doesn't copy single stage binary load disk file to tape like my program does.

:You're answering the question of copying tape to disk.

The other poster says that copying a disk file to tape isn't going to be wanted today. There are lots of people who don't have a disk drive or SIO2PC device, but do have a tape drive.

A 1010 or 410 is much cheaper than a floppy drive and SIO2PC requires a PC and cables. So, right, not many people want tape programs, but there may be a few. There are

people, like me, who would make a tape if someone needed one.